Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 02:03 PM

264 posts, read 312,965 times

Advertisements

Yep. She's all over herself announcing 29 jobs at Roberts that there is no way in hello will pay great- I see 2 really high paid people and 27 low blues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangman2002 View Post
I posted her response on the FB comment saying there is a compromise sitting on her desk!!! What the %UCK!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 02:07 PM

108 posts, read 160,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
Thank you again, Thaylin, for stating again what I believe. I don't like the attitude of many that as long as we get what we need, it's okay if other people get screwed.

Objectivity would be very helpful in viewing every issue. What matters is not what benefits us personally, but what is fair and just and compassionate. And I doubt I need to spell this out, but Reauthorizing EB Benefits is fair and just and compassionate!
While Perdue is on her reelection campaign she could be negotiating for a compromise on the budget, and getting EB reinstated. I know you would never acknowledge it, but cuts HAVE to be made to the state budget.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:20 PM

230 posts, read 275,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post
While Perdue is on her reelection campaign she could be negotiating for a compromise on the budget, and getting EB reinstated. I know you would never acknowledge it, but cuts HAVE to be made to the state budget.

if cuts need to be made in the budget or not is so unrelated to this issue that it does not deserve to be mentioned. I am sick and tired of seeing politicians use special needs groups as pawns by attaching unrelated items to bills.. Bills should always be clean.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:25 PM

69 posts, read 83,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebnow View Post
Here's an email from one of my Hero's

REQUEST FOR HELP:

All,

Thanks for reading this, and I hope you’re all doing well. All of you contacted me either by posting on our blog or emailing me about being some of the 37,000 affected folks. I’ve blind-copied everyone, since I didn’t want to violate anyone’s privacy by sending your email without permission.

I posted this on the blog as well, but I was hoping I could ask a favor of those who are willing to publicly share a bit more of their stories.

We’re hoping to launch a page soon dedicated solely to news about the standoff over the unemployment benefits soon. I’ll let you know as soon as it’s live.
In the meantime, I’m trying to collect more profiles of people, include photographs of those of you that are caught up in this limbo. The profiles would be very brief – essentially just the basic facts of the unemployment, a photo and how its effecting you. We may be doing larger ones as (and if) this continues. Part of the problems seems to be that there’s not a lot of realization of the real people being effected by this. By showing who you are, and what you’ve been through, hopefully that can be addressed.
If you could, please email me the following:

a.) A one to two paragraph description of your situation and your thoughts on the the tough choices you’re making with the benefits on hold as well as what you think about how politicians in Raleigh are dealing with this. I’m looking to here, in your words, what this has been like.
b) first and last name (include a nickname if that’s what you go by)
c) age
d) town or city where you live
e.) Job and date you were laid off from
f.) A digital photograph of yourself or your family, whatever you’re comfortable with being shared.
You can send it to sarah@ncpolicywatch.com.
For those who don’t know, there’s also a rally Monday at the Charlotte ESC office that unemployed workers are invited to attend. More information is available here: MEDIA ADVISORY: Unemployed workers to speak at Charlotte press conference on benefits extension | NC Justice Center
Thanks, and I hope you all enjoy the weekend as much as one can in this situation.

Best,

Sarah

Sarah Ovaska
Investigative reporter
N.C Policy Watch/N.C. Justice Center
P.O. Box 28068
224 S. Dawson St.
Raleigh, N.C. 27611
(919) 861-1463
sarah@ncpolicywatch.com
NC Policy Watch with Fitzsimon & Schofield | News and commmentary about public policy in North Carolina., NC Justice Center | NC Justice Center
It is encouraging to see folks that can attempt to make a difference try to make a difference.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:34 PM

40 posts, read 65,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleprovider51 View Post
Well, I'm sickened and would have a stiff drink if didn't have to go buy it. Jokerface Bev (yes, that's the way I feel right now) ignored direct questions on EB and the people in dire need. Ignored not once but THREE times. She actually acted liked she did not hear the questions although in a small enough group that there was no way. She did not get off the hook though but the only response was "I have no update to report at the moment. We struggle with compromise on this matter."

We struggle?
You got her attention though
and that helps.
Do you think any media witnessed
and may report the exchange on the topic?
Were you the one asking 3 times
or did others ask too?

Old 05-13-2011, 02:39 PM

174 posts, read 313,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleprovider51 View Post
Well, I'm sickened and would have a stiff drink if didn't have to go buy it. Jokerface Bev (yes, that's the way I feel right now) ignored direct questions on EB and the people in dire need. Ignored not once but THREE times. She actually acted liked she did not hear the questions although in a small enough group that there was no way. She did not get off the hook though but the only response was "I have no update to report at the moment. We struggle with compromise on this matter."

We struggle?
And I though that there was a small chance of her showing for the press conference in Charlotte. Yeah Right.
Monday we should be seeing inviction notices on our door. it will be the 16th. Wow I did not think we would still be dealing with this 38 days. I kind of wish they would just say one way or another. YES or NO.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:40 PM

Some eyes rolled and it was discussed after she left. Now to what extent it will help the cause, who knows. I have found that two of the local tv stations around me actually left my posts up on their facebook book walls and one of them got some action today. Go to wcti12's facebook back and comment too. Hopefully it will get people on it and they will give us some good press. I'm gonna follow it over the weekend and then contact their news anchor and ask for a report. Can't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBolin View Post
You got her attention though
and that helps.
Do you think any media witnessed
and may report the exchange on the topic?
Were you the one asking 3 times
or did others ask too?

Old 05-13-2011, 02:45 PM

Crew of 42
99'ers benefits comes up again during CBS meeting with Obama.

Whoa is us.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:45 PM

244 posts, read 311,367 times
UPDATE: Huffington Post

37,000 Jobless Lose Benefits In North Carolina Standoff

Old 05-13-2011, 02:53 PM

249 posts, read 304,908 times
You're right Thaylin, bills should always be clean and politicians shouldn't use special needs groups as pawns. Unfortunately that pretty much sums up of the history of politics. Ideally, the system will change but that doesn't put food on the table.

And, no one on this forum is willing to hurt their neighbor or their neighbors job to get a few weeks more of EB. I think the point of most is that Perdue hasn't said or done squat since she called the GOP's ammendment extortion.

Extortion it was. Now she needs to stand strong and join our media blitz to point them out for what they're doing to innocent families to promote their political agenda. Her SILENCE is hurting her almost as much as it's hurting the 40,000 families who are caught in the middle.

There's no reason she can't mention the situation in her press releases and media appearances. A little help from her would go a long way and we're not getting any at all.

So, we keep up the fight on our own. Keep contacting media, politicians and rally for support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaylin View Post
if cuts need to be made in the budget or not is so unrelated to this issue that it does not deserve to be mentioned. I am sick and tired of seeing politicians use special needs groups as pawns by attaching unrelated items to bills.. Bills should always be clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina