Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 23,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Not sure. Since you began a brand new, regular UI claim technically yours would be a "pull forward" if you don't qualify for new extensions on your new benefit year. If you DO qualify for new extensions on your new benefit year the Feb 28th date (as of this moment) still applies. You must begin your first tier by then to be eligible for it. I'm not sure how the "pull forwards" of EUC relate to the Feb 28th date. And yes, the last payable week of EUC is still 7/31/10 which is still connected to the 2/28/20 date.

Not sure about EB eligibility, I believe they have their own phase-out dates. EB is 80% of your original claim duration, just like Tier 1.

Thanks for your reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 09:55 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleyguy007 View Post
I'm a new user here and I've read the last 5 pages or so of this forum. Seems very active. However, I have some questions. I apologize if they've already been posted and I didn't read them.

I started receiving unemployment benefits back in October 2008. I've done everything the ESC office told me to and I've been looking for a job and going to school.

I have three questions.

1.) What are the rules about going to school and receiving unemployment benefits? I'm still looking, able, and willing (wanting) to get a job.

2.) I received a letter today saying that I'm monetarily ineligible to Emergency Unemployment Compensation due to insufficient base period wages. Continuing on by saying that I did not meet the minimum requirements of 20 weeks of full-time insured employment. I worked at the same job for 4 years and 11 months. I stopped working in September of 2008. Am I all of a sudden ineligible for unemployment? I just received this letter today, a little forewarning on this would've been nice.

3.) With all things held equal, if I were still receiving unemployment, could I move to another state? If I did, would I have to transfer my benefits, or would I still receive North Carolina benefits? How does that work? I would like to try to find work in another state, since I'm not having any luck here.
1) Depends on if you're in one of ESC's programs for going to school (state sponsored - WIA, for example). If you are, they can waive your work search requirement while in school. If not, you're still required to search for work and if full time employment is offered to you, you must be willing to stop school to take the employment.

2) Yes, that is entirely possible. Just because you worked for a company 4, 20, or even 40 years does not guarantee you any term of unemployment benefits. Unemployment benefits are ENTIRELY based on work and earnings (covered wages) in a base period. You must meet specific monetary requirements to be eligible, and there are no exceptions. It sounds like you are in your 2nd benefit year. It is not uncommon for some people to qualify for a new, regular UI claim in their 2nd benefit year, but not qualify for extensions. In order to qualify for extensions, you have to meet a monetary formula (the "1.5 times" rule - your total base period wages must be equal to or greater than 1.5 times the high quarter in the base period). Many people have four strong quarters to begin their 1st benefit year, and then their next benefit year may have one strong quarter and one far weaker quarter (the quarter in which they were laid off). It just all depends on what's in your base period. Some people don't qualify for ANY extensions at all, on any benefit year because of their wages in the base period.

3) You can relocate to another state. You would still receive NC benefits since this is where your claim and benefit year are established, because this is where your wages were reported. But you would need to register with that state's employment office and then let NC know you've moved out of state, and then you'd need to search for employment in that state.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:58 AM

131 posts, read 232,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleyguy007 View Post
I'm a new user here and I've read the last 5 pages or so of this forum. Seems very active. However, I have some questions. I apologize if they've already been posted and I didn't read them.

I started receiving unemployment benefits back in October 2008. I've done everything the ESC office told me to and I've been looking for a job and going to school.

I have three questions.

1.) What are the rules about going to school and receiving unemployment benefits? I'm still looking, able, and willing (wanting) to get a job.

2.) I received a letter today saying that I'm monetarily ineligible to Emergency Unemployment Compensation due to insufficient base period wages. Continuing on by saying that I did not meet the minimum requirements of 20 weeks of full-time insured employment. I worked at the same job for 4 years and 11 months. I stopped working in September of 2008. Am I all of a sudden ineligible for unemployment? I just received this letter today, a little forewarning on this would've been nice.

3.) With all things held equal, if I were still receiving unemployment, could I move to another state? If I did, would I have to transfer my benefits, or would I still receive North Carolina benefits? How does that work? I would like to try to find work in another state, since I'm not having any luck here.
jdljr is the expert & I'm sure he will post a reply to your questions. I cannot address #1 or #3 here, so I'll be curious to see what he says about them. As for #2, you may have left out some info. It sounds like your benefit year ran from 10/2008 to 10/2009. If you rec'd benefits beyond Oct. of 2009, which it sounds like maybe you did since you JUST got the letter, then they opened a new benefit year for you, probably as soon as your first year expired.....right? This will make a difference in the answer you get from jdljr, so you may want to clarify thise details. I suspect your situation might be similar to mine...even the dates!

I just want to add that something that isn't well communicated on the ESC website is that your benefit year only lasts a year, no matter what. Even if you had been approved for additional weeks of benefits, if your benefit year ends in the middle of that, you cannot collect it. You must open a NEW benefit year. Now, you may or may not qualify for a new year monetarily, but you must attempt. If your claim sets, you start over, probably with less $$ for a shorter duration, but at least you get something. If you don't qualify for a new benefit year, then they can go back & tap the unused benefits you had remaining in your old year.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
jdljr is the expert & I'm sure he will post a reply to your questions. I cannot address #1 or #3 here, so I'll be curious to see what he says about them. As for #2, you may have left out some info. It sounds like your benefit year ran from 10/2008 to 10/2009. If you rec'd benefits beyond Oct. of 2009, which it sounds like maybe you did since you JUST got the letter, then they opened a new benefit year for you, probably as soon as your first year expired.....right? This will make a difference in the answer you get from jdljr, so you may want to clarify thise details. I suspect your situation might be similar to mine...even the dates!

I just want to add that something that isn't well communicated on the ESC website is that your benefit year only lasts a year, no matter what. Even if you had been approved for additional weeks of benefits, if your benefit year ends in the middle of that, you cannot collect it. You must open a NEW benefit year. Now, you may or may not qualify for a new year monetarily, but you must attempt. If your claim sets, you start over, probably with less $$ for a shorter duration, but at least you get something. If you don't qualify for a new benefit year, then they can go back & tap the unused benefits you had remaining in your old year.
You got it! All of your research and reading has been very educating, I can tell. I think his situation is similar to yours, where the letter was indicating no EUC...and that would be on his second benefit year if he didn't qualify for extensions...but he should be a pull-forward case if he has any unused EUC from his previous benefit year.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:03 AM

131 posts, read 232,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
1) Depends on if you're in one of ESC's programs for going to school (state sponsored - WIA, for example). If you are, they can waive your work search requirement while in school. If not, you're still required to search for work and if full time employment is offered to you, you must be willing to stop school to take the employment.

2) Yes, that is entirely possible. Just because you worked for a company 4, 20, or even 40 years does not guarantee you any term of unemployment benefits. Unemployment benefits are ENTIRELY based on work and earnings (covered wages) in a base period. You must meet specific monetary requirements to be eligible, and there are no exceptions. It sounds like you are in your 2nd benefit year. It is not uncommon for some people to qualify for a new, regular UI claim in their 2nd benefit year, but not qualify for extensions. In order to qualify for extensions, you have to meet a monetary formula (the "1.5 times" rule - your total base period wages must be equal to or greater than 1.5 times the high quarter in the base period). Many people have four strong quarters to begin their 1st benefit year, and then their next benefit year may have one strong quarter and one far weaker quarter (the quarter in which they were laid off). It just all depends on what's in your base period. Some people don't qualify for ANY extensions at all, on any benefit year because of their wages in the base period.

3) You can relocate to another state. You would still receive NC benefits since this is where your claim and benefit year are established, because this is where your wages were reported. But you would need to register with that state's employment office and then let NC know you've moved out of state, and then you'd need to search for employment in that state.

jdljr---

Hoping you can address this, too. I was told that I could get up to $3500 in aid for new training, etc., but have not been able to find out much about how to go about it, or how it works. Is there a short answer? Thanks!

Old 02-21-2010, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,179 times
Default Pull Forward

I have just finished up my second year UI of benefits, do not qualify for any extensions in the second year, so I should qualify for pull forward Tier 3 correct? When I went to file today I got the message,

"Your claim for the week of 2/20/2010 has been accepted but cannot be processed for payment because your claim is monetarily ineligible. If you need further information, please call the Remote Service Center at 1-888-737-0259"

Does this mean I am not a pull forward, or is this a standard message and the system will automatically pull forward money from last year? Is there something else I need to do to get this pull forward money triggered? Thanks. Michael

Old 02-21-2010, 11:06 AM

28 posts, read 67,884 times
[quote=jdljr;12992468]It should, I believe, if nothing else has changed with your status (last employer).[/quote

Would I have to be able to file a weekly certification in order to receive week 14? I did reopen my claim as the ESC website requested and it is saying that they have my claim on file.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:56 AM

86 posts, read 174,190 times
yes, that's exactly what my claim said and still is saying

Old 02-21-2010, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,396 times
Question complications

I'm pretty confused about this. I don't know what a base year is. I was in the Army for 5 years and to make it more complicated I was deployed for the 15 months before I got out, making the taxes complicated. I wasn't kicked out, I was a sergeant when I got out. But I didn't reenlist because my legs can't handle it anymore. I'm still waiting on the VA to go through my disability paperwork.

I don't know what tier I was in or anything like that. I did receive 12 months and reapplied for a new year in benefits, and waited another week before I could file again.

I've been more concerned about finding a job than I have been milking the government. I wouldn't be so concerned about this if I were single, but I'm married with a 2 month old daughter. I can go hungry but they can't.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
jdljr---

Hoping you can address this, too. I was told that I could get up to $3500 in aid for new training, etc., but have not been able to find out much about how to go about it, or how it works. Is there a short answer? Thanks!
Is that a Pell Grant? If so, you'd need to contact your local community college. If not, visit your local ESC office and speak to the WIA representative who should be able to tell you all about the various training options out there (through the community colleges) and let you know what you'd qualify for and what the state could pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina