Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2007, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,235 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking into relocating to NC from Ca. I'm married, and pregnant with our first child My parents relocated to Concord, NC 2 years ago. We've been to visit many times, have traveled to the outer banks and Ashville to visit the Biltmore. I love it there. My husband is going to need some convincing though. I'm white and he's chinese. When we have gone to visit he notices more than I do that there aren't many Asians in the areas that we have been to. Son't get me wrong, he likes visiting. We are concerned about bringing up biracial children in NC. We live in a very diverse area of Ca, don't get any stares walking around here, as biracial couples are seen often here. I've done some research, trying to find more diverse areas of NC ~ seems like college areas have a little more variety. I would like to stay close to my parents in Concord. Any ideas? Statesville and Hickory look interesting to me. My husband is a postal carrier, and I want to stay at home with our kids while they are little. We'd like to be in a nice/safe area, but also close to shopping, restaurants, health care. A lot to ask?! Any advice/comments would be much appreciated~ thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 02:57 PM

36,345 posts, read 15,948,312 times
The girl who works for me is Phillipino and her husband is white, my brother works for a Japanese owned company in Mooresville. I think there is a lot of diversity here, especially down near Charlotte. Concord is great shopping, schools, restaurants, traffic. I am up the hill quite a bit from there and still quite a bit of diversity. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:37 PM

88 posts, read 249,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ in Cali View Post
Hi,
I'm looking into relocating to NC from Ca. I'm married, and pregnant with our first child My parents relocated to Concord, NC 2 years ago. We've been to visit many times, have traveled to the outer banks and Ashville to visit the Biltmore. I love it there. My husband is going to need some convincing though. I'm white and he's chinese. When we have gone to visit he notices more than I do that there aren't many Asians in the areas that we have been to. Son't get me wrong, he likes visiting. We are concerned about bringing up biracial children in NC. We live in a very diverse area of Ca, don't get any stares walking around here, as biracial couples are seen often here. I've done some research, trying to find more diverse areas of NC ~ seems like college areas have a little more variety. I would like to stay close to my parents in Concord. Any ideas? Statesville and Hickory look interesting to me. My husband is a postal carrier, and I want to stay at home with our kids while they are little. We'd like to be in a nice/safe area, but also close to shopping, restaurants, health care. A lot to ask?! Any advice/comments would be much appreciated~ thanks!
Hi! You will be fine here....We moved from No Cal 4 months ago and we are an asian family. I am filipino and my husband is chinese ...born and raised in No Ca. My sister is married to a caucasion and has mixed kids and it's all been good. They moved here as well. We live in Matthews (south Charlotte)...it's definitely not like CA as far as diversity but there is diversity. I see lots of biracial kids/families everywhere we go...all different kinds of mixes. We feel very comfortable here and do not miss CA at all...only the friends and family we left behind. You can PM me if you have anymore questions. Hope that helps a bit!

Old 04-22-2007, 02:18 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,433,126 times
If you speak English, you will be accepted. What will likely surprise you is that I bet you believe you will be leaving number of Hispanics behind in CA (depending on where you are now), and that ain't going to happen, as there is a huge Hispanic population in NC, something like 8th in the nation, and we are a long way from the Mexican border.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:19 PM

889 posts, read 3,108,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
If you speak English, you will be accepted. What will likely surprise you is that I bet you believe you will be leaving number of Hispanics behind in CA (depending on where you are now), and that ain't going to happen, as there is a huge Hispanic population in NC, something like 8th in the nation, and we are a long way from the Mexican border.
Actually, i am a native Calif. and moved here last year. Your screen name indicates you are born and raised in N.C. There is no comparison whatsover with that growing population here as compared to Calif. its night and day.
The suprise is how many are NOT here.
Sorry but it's very different for now.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:53 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,890,354 times
I live in Concord and there are many mixed race couples/families in our church. You guys should have no problems here. Welcome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina