Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:15 PM

983 posts, read 3,974,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
NC is not infested with fire ants the way Florida apparently is - you are safe to move here - long as you don't mind the black bears

Or the coyotes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 08:43 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,632,253 times
If you can move anywhere you want because you can and not because you have to, I see no problem in trying avoid things you don't like or bother you. And I would say the majority of people have phobias or issues with one thing or another and we try and stay away from things that cause us discomfort.

One of the big reasons I left Florida was because I just couldn't take the heat and humidity for ten months a year anymore. No way was I moving anywhere similar. Here, it ends and fall and winter and spring come. My husband wouldn't move anywhere near a coast as he hates dealing with hurricanes. Can we get the effects of a storm here? Yes, but it is different than being where is makes landfall. We also moved because things were so expensive so we obviously would not want to move somewhere that was just as expensive.

We happen to love the mountains, the ocean, the seasons, the slower pace of life and everything else this beautiful state has to offer us. This was our choice. Hopefully the OP will find the right place for her without the things that bother her now.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:22 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,505,989 times
yep they are in Charlotte too! I have a bad habit of walking around barefoot, just got bit by one the other day.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:22 AM

873 posts, read 1,796,093 times
I agree! I've been doing pest control for over 26 years. Even in the Charlotte area, a lot of older established neighborhoods don't have fire ants. The places that do can control them. I had a mound "pop up" in my yard 2 years ago. I treated it and have had no problem since then. Yes, they are a problem if you step in a nest, etc. but they can be controlled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If someone would let something as silly as a fireant dictate where they will live they deserve to have to live in less nice places than NC

Old 07-30-2009, 10:23 AM

You need to change Pest Control companies!!! And get a granular product with Fipronil in it and use it like the label says!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
We live in a nice area and yards are treated--but I swear, my entire back yard is nothing but fireants.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:15 AM

717 posts, read 2,800,306 times
Thanks to all who commented on my concerns. I guess the real question is whether they are found in small enough numbers that they can easily be controlled in the areas in which they are found. In 2004 I lived in Cary for a short time and loved it. I didn't notice anything with fireants at that time--but I was only there for 6 months. If I eventually decide on NC, it would be somewhere between Raleigh and westward to the mountains. I am much more a lake/mountain person than a beach person--so going toward the coast doesn't interest me.

Do your winters get cool/cold enough that the fire ants disappear for a while? or are they active year round in the areas I am talking about?

Would I find them in the mountain areas much??

Thanks....

Old 08-06-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks to all who commented on my concerns. I guess the real question is whether they are found in small enough numbers that they can easily be controlled in the areas in which they are found. In 2004 I lived in Cary for a short time and loved it. I didn't notice anything with fireants at that time--but I was only there for 6 months. If I eventually decide on NC, it would be somewhere between Raleigh and westward to the mountains. I am much more a lake/mountain person than a beach person--so going toward the coast doesn't interest me.

Do your winters get cool/cold enough that the fire ants disappear for a while? or are they active year round in the areas I am talking about?

Would I find them in the mountain areas much??

Thanks....
The last two winters I have been here it has been cold enough to kill or send the insects under cover. I would imagine the closer you get to the mountains, the less you will find as they are colder longer than we are. Check the two maps the other posters put up because it appears to me they aren't in the mountain area yet. And you have all the lakes and the beautiful mountains you like!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:27 AM

Insects and bugs are cold blooded. Cold weather DOES NOT kill them. They just don't move when the temperature is low. Fire ants will go further down in the ground but will be back at the surface when sunlight warms the soil.

Quote:
Do your winters get cool/cold enough that the fire ants disappear for a while? or are they active year round in the areas I am talking abou

Old 08-08-2009, 02:33 AM

717 posts, read 2,800,306 times
OK..i went to Home Depot today and bought some of the Fire Ant killer with the Finopril (whatever it is)--so I guess we will see how it works. My daughter was appalled when I told her I was going to pour gasoline on the mounds and burn them--she had visions of me setting the house on fire. LOL

Old 08-08-2009, 10:29 AM

Good luck! Get those buggers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina