Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 05:49 PM

93 posts, read 203,323 times

Advertisements

My husband and I need to move out of city of Pittsburgh soon. We arlooking somewhere peaceful, small towns country like living with mild winter with not too much snow. We do not want to live somewhere where winter is like 8 months long with cold temps. We do not want to live in a big city or any city. We want to spread our wings. We will be bringing our 2 dogs and my father in law. Any great beautiful places. We don't mind mountians. Price range in reason on home rentals possibly own if can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 01:32 AM

Another thing we want is be within driving distance to the beaches like an hour to hour and half away. We do not want to live in a big city. More like country setting area or neighborhood.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:47 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
Pick any town in Duplin County. It's rural, I imagine inexpensive, but convenient to I-40 and beaches in Wilmington, Topsail, and Emerald Isle depending on which town you choose.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:03 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl1023 View Post
Another thing we want is be within driving distance to the beaches like an hour to hour and half away. We do not want to live in a big city. More like country setting area or neighborhood.
You don't mention jobs, but the coastal areas have a few smaller regional cities if you need one for jobs. New Bern and Morehead City worth looking at, and they have country areas nearby.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:16 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You don't mention jobs, but the coastal areas have a few smaller regional cities if you need one for jobs. New Bern and Morehead City worth looking at, and they have country areas nearby.
The reason I didn't suggest htose areas is b/c the proximtiy of the bases drives up rental costs, making it actually cheaper to own than to rent in those areas. I reckon you could look at a town like Vanceboro, giving you employment options in New Bern or Greenville. Also gives you both Pitt Memorial and Craven Regional as health care options for the father-in-law. I don't think either hospital goes by those names anymore, but I don't know what the new ones are.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:29 AM

Thank you very much. Keep em coming. As far as jobs are, we do not have college education so we can work anywhere. We both have 4 yeats in janitorial jobs making 10 dollars an hour. I am hoping to get into grooming.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:43 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl1023 View Post
Thank you very much. Keep em coming. As far as jobs are, we do not have college education so we can work anywhere. We both have 4 yeats in janitorial jobs making 10 dollars an hour. I am hoping to get into grooming.
General labor is great. But there has to be openings for your labor. Since you have a couple of years before you move, start looking at employment trends and what jobs are typically available. Remember, closer to Wilmington and there are COLLEGE students to contend with for employment.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:59 AM

Thank you very much. I am hoping to have grooming under my belt.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:26 PM

102 posts, read 312,309 times
The Rutherford County area of North Carolina is beautiful, but there aren't very many jobs. The population for the whole county is about 70,000 (but the county occupies a 540 square mile area). In the northern end of the county you have Lake Lure, Chimney Rock, and tons of other things. In the southern end of the county you are on the SC line and close to Spartanburg and Greenville. In this end, things are some what flatter and less mountainous.

I wouldn't recommend going any further north than Asheville and Buncombe county if you don't want snow. The higher elevations of our state get a lot of snow, and it's quite cold. Down here in the rest of the state, we rarely get snow, and it's not all that cold in the winter. I will warn you and say that it does get quite uncomfortable in the summer. Be prepared for heat, humidity, and heat indices over 100 degrees.

Some of the areas further east in the state are also very nice. There are a lot of small communities in the Outer Banks. There are also a lot of nice areas around Chapel Hill, Raleigh, etc. You could live in a small suburb, but still have access to a big city.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
You say "in a few years" is when you want to move. That gives you plenty of time to do research, VISIT, check out the different areas of the state, and when it's time to move, look into your field and job openings. The economy changes to fast for anyone to say what a given area is going to be like "in a few years". People who are loking to move TO somewhere specific are much happier hee than people who are looking to get AWAY from somwhere else and just move here because it's "not Pittsburgh" or whatever (since there are a lot of palces that ar "not Pittsburgh").

Plan a vacation, grab a map, and see the state for yourselves. Find something that makes you want to be here other than "it's not Pittsburgh" and you'll be much happier--but we don't know you enough to tell you what that "thing" is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina