U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 01:18 AM

543 posts, read 1,689,476 times

Advertisements

So I know that I may not be everyone's cup of tea and that at first glance this may not seem like it's NC related but it is.

You know I'm gonna tell you why and here it is: We moved from MA to NC for no reason at all. In 6 days it'll be an official 10 months for us here. Just 2 short months from a year which is really a big deal for some reason. Scandalous... It's gone by so fast.

Here's the important part believe it or not. In the last 10 months, after moving here with only 2 friends in the state, we have made so many new friends, people here actually like us Aww, you know they liked us back in MA too but here there seems to be that we have a lot in common with people and we all moved away from familly and friends back from where we were from and we are actually surviving..

Just tonight we had 4 other neighbors over that we have never met before and we totally corrupted them by making them drink when they didn't want to

It was one of the prouder moments in my life when we had them singing into spatulas and spoons to 3 dog night and whatever other stuff I was able to download from napster before it got shut down..

So for those of you that actually read my blab, I want you to know that I do not drink every night of the week. The last 2 weekends we had guest here. One group started on the 6th so we did have a few beers on the 6th,7th,8th and the 9th. Not a normal weekend. Then we had another set of guests and again we had a few beers on the 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th.

Okay so it seems like a lot of drinking but the truth of it is that we really are only weekend drinkers.. Last night, friday, I actually watched tv by myself and the movie I watched kinda sucked. This morning I got up and cut my grass and the way our yards are kind of close I ended up cutting my neighbors lawn also.

I know that sounds and seems weird but I'm a sucker. Apparently he has allergies and cutting the lawn makes him wheeze. She's knocked up, so as I was mowing between our houses I decided to cut their lawn because I felt bad for them and thought I'd help out...

So any of you who have moved into a new development, when you're standing in your back yard, it's barren wasteland, to the left and right, nothing but lawn and in some cases, weeds. My neighbor to the right of me has a sweet lawn. No weeds.. Other neighbors ( I hope they don't read this site) have weeds.. Crabgrass, clover, whatever else you can think of, stufff that we used to buy and plant in MA are considered weeds here.

As I was cutting the lawn, one of the neighbors suggested a cookout. At first I was opposed because I know that cookouts often turn into boozefests and as you all know I am opposed to drinking. After drinking the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th I was looking forward to a break and I think my liver was also. Betty Ford has been calling me daily for the last few weeks, thank god for caller ID so I can ignore those calls..
I have a tentative checkin date though... Oh man, I'm killing myself joking about alcohol when I think I've funded an entire school system since I've been here. Like I said, I'm not everyones cup of tea...

So anyway you may read this and wonder what it has to do NC and there is a point here.

What I'm really hoping to get across here is that we never knew what to expect when moving here, all we knew was that we were mortgage bound in MA and we wanted somethng different. What we've found here is that there are so many people from NJ, NY, MA, CA, etc that felt the same way about where they were living. Every local that we've met here is extremely nice and even the folks that we've hired as contractors have become our friends and hang out with us. It's not only becuase we have a pool either since it's been too cold to use. It's just a group of nice people all working towards a better way of life for their families I guess.

Anyway, I know this is kinda dull tonight and although you might not have found much of it funny I did step in dog crap today. It was actually sweet because I realized it before I tracked it into the house and okay you guys know what happens when you leave a trail of postage stamp sized footprints of crap across little missy's freshly vacuumed carpet... I cringe at the thought...

I was gonna stop typing but I have half a beer left so you have to endure more for at least that long..

This is like a Kung Fu episode.. When you can buy a house in NC with the equity that you have gained from your house in the Northeast, you may drink alcohol grasshopper. LOL..

So if you've possibly managed to read this far then you need mental evaluation

I know that this is repetetive, but last night I pretended to be asleep when my wife got home from the monthly neighborhood bunco night. I didn't need to hear her say the same 4 stories over and over again. I even made a little snoring sound as I heard her coming toward me.. It was an awesome move and worked beautifully, she turned around and stumbled away from me. I'm still inspired by it today and like it makes me seem like a genius, I know I'm not... Spell check does not correct for stupidity.

My simple point here and not as off topic as it seems is that our move here to NC has proved out to be a good choice. We have a lot of new friends here that have similar reasons for moving as we did and the kids have tons of friends that are like locust and eat everything in sight. I could go shopping 2 times a day and still not have enough sugar releated snacks. It's not like we don't have fruit or anything but if they touch fruit it leaves a mark like holy water in the exorcist movie.

So as sad as it may be it takes me 2 or 3 hours to type these stupid posts as I stive for perfection in spelling and grammer, haha, yeah right... So I have a serious critical choice here. 1) grab another beer, I mean soda and stay up for several more hours typing nonsense or 2) watch teletubbies until I pass out from the pain of it.

I'm going with option 2 but I'm substituting it with 'Earnest goes to Jail', taped it earlier today and if I dont't get excited by it then I'll be sleeping in no time.

Hey la, hey la, my boyfriends back. Anoyone idol fans? Even listening to oldies from like 'The Angels' singing 'My boyfriends back'? The voices of even some of the oldies make you see how bad some of the idols are. Melinda is pretty good though even though she looks like Shrek. We all did cheer when Sanjaya finally got voted off though, yipeee....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 02:35 AM

35 posts, read 90,514 times
To think we almost decided not to check out this site before we decided to go to bed, to see the idle chatter of those surfing the web -- only to laugh profusely at your message. What a neighbor -- what a guy and what a sense of humor. Glad to hear you like N.C., and I am sure your neighbors, as well as the rest of us enjoy your humor.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:01 PM

787 posts, read 3,403,180 times
Gosh, you almost sound like a native North Carolinan. I guess that is bad for your imagine, right? I am glad that you seem to like it here.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:10 PM

46 posts, read 107,088 times
Thanks for your fun post!!! I can't wait to move!!! I just cannot sell my home in the northeast! See noone wants to live here anymore because of all the fun you are having down there.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:50 PM

190 posts, read 647,683 times
Does anyone know if there are any "DooWop" oldies concerts in Charlotte?
I still enjoy the music of my teenage years.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybell View Post
Does anyone know if there are any "DooWop" oldies concerts in Charlotte?
I still enjoy the music of my teenage years.
Ovens auditorum recently had America, not quite doo-*** but close. There's a couple of bars that have bands that play oldies but can't remember the names, just heard an ad on the radio the other day.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy2366 View Post
Thanks for your fun post!!! I can't wait to move!!! I just cannot sell my home in the northeast! See noone wants to live here anymore because of all the fun you are having down there.
We sold ours just in time I think. Our SIL recently sold and her market value dropped almost 80k in the last year. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:21 AM

2,248 posts, read 5,422,536 times
Dude, I want you to slowly put down the beer and back away.

I'm glad that you're fitting in so well. There are many who never seem to fit.

A friend of mine's daughter is dating a guy who's mother moved him and herself to Tarboro from MD about a month ago. She moved there "sight unseen" which seems to be a common mistake. She was going on the word of a friend of her's who said the place was great. After only a month the son has moved back to MD and she is having grave misgivings about having moved to Tarboro.

I cannot emphasize it enough to people.

Check out the area throughly before you move there!

It's better for North Carolina's reputation and your own wellbeing to do your homework first.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:26 PM

787 posts, read 3,403,180 times
She moved to Tarboro on purpose? Not that I have anything against the town but like Snow Hill and so many other smaller eastern coastal towns Tarboro is one of those places that most people have ties to. Either they are born there or marry someone that was born there. And again like Snow Hill, Tarboro doesn't strike me as somewhere I would move into sight unseen without family ties there.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:46 PM

7,558 posts, read 6,420,236 times
Hey Mark, stop all this talk about drinking, it's getting me thirsty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina