Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:22 AM

116 posts, read 425,368 times

Advertisements

My post was in no way meant to be condescending, I apologise if you think I was patronizing. I was merely answering the thread honestly when I said a lot of the people down here regard everyone above the mason dixie line as an outsider and treat you so. When I once said to a local that I really like the area I was verbally slapped in the face with this response, " so do we and we'd like to keep it that way so we don't want you yankees coming down here and changing it!" Welcome to North Carolina...........now thats attitude!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 03:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I am an NC native. I moved back here after living in the Kansas City metro, and even tho my roots are here and I feel very tied to NC (family and friends) . . . I get homesick for Kansas City quite often. I think it is b/c of specific things I miss, such as museums, concert venues, etc. And of course, we always miss our friends.

But when I lived away from NC, I was homesick for the mountains and many of the things that are peculiar to being a Southerner in NC.

Moving is not always an easy thing to do, even when you genuinely like the new spot where you have relocated. I think if a person feels unhappy, tho, after three or so years . . . then it may never really feel like home. I loved Kansas City the minute I got off the plane the first time . . . so I think sometimes, if a place just doesn't "feel right," maybe it isn't the right spot. . . and never will be.

With NC's economy having taken such a hit recently, I think there will be folks who will be considering moving "back home" to find work. Many of them may never have really felt this was the spot for them to begin with. It really is awful to move somewhere and not "feel the love."

Old 08-08-2009, 06:10 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
I have moved around and lived in many places (was in navy) and after the navy still managed to live in 4 different states so far.

I really like NC so far. i grew up in Ky and this is about the same as far as lifestyle and weather or anything. My wife loves it here, we were in maryland and she didn't like to go out much because of traffic. here she is more than happy to run errands or go places. So no regrets here.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:09 PM

8 posts, read 16,140 times
i was forced to move here from chicago about 10 years ago when i was starting high school because of my step dads job. at first i tried to live with it and make the best of the situation..but soon couldent wait until the second i turned 18 to get the heck out of here. i have now lived in many places throughout the US such as Seattle,Minnesota,Wisconsin,Indiana, California, and realize how overrated NC really is..for someone my age who is in their early 20's and into a big art and music scene NC doesnt have much to offer at all..my biggest thing was their lack of public transportaion throughout the raleigh area....i swear i go through a tank of gas a day down here just running errins..and why do they always build lame subdivsions out in the middle of nowhere??? expand within the city HELLOO People!!! how hard would it be to slap a couple rail lines in??? it would benefit raleigh so much.get all the drunk drivers off the road..everyone i know has a darn DUI down here..here i already have a name Traleigh....another thing is you have to drive all the way to the mountains or the beach just to get to any good state parks,whats up with that??...and one more thing how is durham rated one of the top 10 places to live right now??? make one wrong turn around there and you end up in crackville..drove through today and some guy pointed his fingers at me with a gun jesture and pulled the trigger...real great place to live...im so impressed....not!

Old 08-11-2009, 06:21 AM

218 posts, read 1,462,399 times
I don't reget it either. I moved from upstate NY 11yrs ago and I also took a pay cut but the cost of living was and is a LOT cheaper here, and winter is nothing compared to home.
Now I do regret moving from the Burlington area to where I am at now. There was alot more opportunity there.
This town reminds so much of the small town I grew up in. Not many good restaurants, NO movie theaters, not a whole lot of choices, but on the up side this town and some others nearby are going thru a "revitalitaztion program", and there seems to be some good stuff going on and new restaurants. So Im excited to see what happens.
Again not really what you were looking for, if I wasnt running from the harsh winters and expence of being a single parent up there, I might have regret it, but i think I did what was best for my son and myself.
And I'll take a 101 degrees +, over a month of single digit and below zero temps. up there anyday. (i go visit in summer and fall)

Old 08-11-2009, 09:56 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xChicagowiredx View Post
i was forced to move here from chicago about 10 years ago when i was starting high school because of my step dads job. at first i tried to live with it and make the best of the situation..but soon couldent wait until the second i turned 18 to get the heck out of here. i have now lived in many places throughout the US such as Seattle,Minnesota,Wisconsin,Indiana, California, and realize how overrated NC really is..for someone my age who is in their early 20's and into a big art and music scene NC doesnt have much to offer at all..my biggest thing was their lack of public transportaion throughout the raleigh area....i swear i go through a tank of gas a day down here just running errins..and why do they always build lame subdivsions out in the middle of nowhere??? expand within the city HELLOO People!!! how hard would it be to slap a couple rail lines in??? it would benefit raleigh so much.get all the drunk drivers off the road..everyone i know has a darn DUI down here..here i already have a name Traleigh....another thing is you have to drive all the way to the mountains or the beach just to get to any good state parks,whats up with that??...and one more thing how is durham rated one of the top 10 places to live right now??? make one wrong turn around there and you end up in crackville..drove through today and some guy pointed his fingers at me with a gun jesture and pulled the trigger...real great place to live...im so impressed....not!
I second everything you just said...it is not all that....and Im a native saying these things.... Waiting on economy to get better to try to move else where....Looking at the southwest.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:52 PM

8 posts, read 16,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscott2009 View Post
I second everything you just said...it is not all that....and Im a native saying these things.... Waiting on economy to get better to try to move else where....Looking at the southwest.
yeah i brought a lot of my friends who are from here to other cities such as chicago, seattle, arizona..all fell in love and cant stand NC now...i guess it could be just an age thing..or a need to explore and figure out other cultures and ways of life...which a lot of people seem afraid of down here.....
cant wait to move to seattle in 3 months

Old 08-12-2009, 07:21 PM

3 posts, read 6,679 times
Default :(

North Carolina, is the most racist place I have ever lived. I know its all over, but I have never seen such blatent disregard for common decency. It's like living in 1953, and anyone that trys to say it isn't is either not telling the truth, or completely blind. I am from the North and white. I have even been discriminated against down here living just 30 min outside of Raleigh, trying to get jobs. I have been told "Your northen accent might not be appropriate" -- never mind I have an outstanding work history, a 4 yr degree and excellent references....I have been told that I wouldn't understand because I'm from Chicago. Then seeing yes, the way people talk about African Americans out in public, Hispanics, even Asians. I am disgusted after nearly two and a half years and moving back to Chicago. It may exist here, but it certainly would not be tolerated to this degree.

I completely regret moving here. Not only did I ive up a career, thinking that North Carolina would be a great place to live and work. The market is dead here, and like I said above, I have never been so sad over how mean one place can be.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 PM

337 posts, read 1,138,131 times
Well bless your heart.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:44 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
Well good luck to you. When are you leaving again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina