Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xChicagowiredx View Post
i couldent agree with you more..you know how many times i have been called a yankee??...but the funny thing is i am so proud to be an intelligent, intellectual, fast pace, tech savvy northerner..and i dont sound like i have a mouth full of moth balls or cow manure when i talk to people..the southern accent makes my blood boil..it is the most annoying thing i have ever herd, i cant understand a damn word that comes out of anyones mouth down here..and when the women talk like that its such a turn off!!.. have fun being ignorant rednecks

stick to orignal topic please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 06:56 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
Quote:
well Colddiamond102 after recent review i noticed your a born and raised southerner so no wonder you have those close minded opinions i have been talking about and i bet you are old as dirt also and i happen to still be young but already obviously have better horizons and have an open mind..oh and sorry if my spelling wasnt up to par i typed those posts from my iPhone....hahah and whatever the northern accent is way easier on the ears than hick jabber why is it that the rest of the country cant understand the way you guys talk down here??.try getting a job being a public speaker. i bet i would get the job before you would.. heeee hawww heeee hawww dem dare down dare inn mi tractor mannn soo sliickkk an mii musssstannnnggg wit da bigg ole pipes on derr back of it..and by talking through our noses you mean to properly enunciate our words right?..ohh and i have lived all over the US have you??? i love the rest of the US and have nothing to complain about because all the people are way more understanding and layed (the word to use in this case is l-a-i-d) back..and they actually have public transportation and character to their towns and cities...where are the great scenic parks here?? where is the art scene??? why do all the best bands always blow off coming here(hahahaha which i actually find kind of funny).... ohhh sorry forgot you guys have NASSCAAARRRRR YEEEEE HAWWWW. and why is it everyone my age from here that i have taken to explore other places never want to come back???? and most of the people my age born and raised here are all burnouts????
First off, Im not a guy. Sweetheart, Im 22, have most likely walked amongst and been one of more diverse classes of people in my short lifetime and FAR from a burnout. Ive posted this in other places, but Im a college student on the Dean's list with a 3.7 GPA and a long-standing membership in the honor society.
Hardly call that a burnout. If you dont believe my age, Id be happy to call witnesses to this thread that have seen my picture and will tell you.
And no open-minded individual as you claim to be would be nearly as judgemental and biased against an entire region and culture as you are. Isnt if funny that despite our age similarities one of us has apparently obtained wisdom, whilst the other obviously lacks the fortitude to obtain the same?
Last I checked, an Iphone has punctuation buttons along with letters, and you obviously lack spelling and sentence structure skills, so if I were you I wouldnt bet on beating me in that public speaking job...especially when you've never heard me speak. Some of us are able to switch our accents on and off...Ive had Yankees such as yourself ask me if Im from the north as they are.
And no, I mean your accents sound like you're either squawking,honking, or have a throat condition. Scenic parks are all over this country, just as the "art scene" you're describing can be found wherever you go. All you have to do is know where to look. What, you think art is only created in major cities outside of the South? Beauty is found everywhere, and it doesnt always leap out at you.
And in case you havent noticed, the Southeast isnt exactly inclined (either economically or voter-wise) to take on the higher taxes that come with the public transportation you so treasure.
Again, if you dont like it here, leave. Simple as that. You only make our generation look even less desirable than it already does.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:36 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
well Colddiamond102 after recent review i noticed your a born and raised southerner so no wonder you have those close minded opinions i have been talking about and i bet you are old as dirt also and i happen to still be young but already obviously have better horizons and have an open mind..oh and sorry if my spelling wasnt up to par i typed those posts from my iPhone....hahah and whatever the northern accent is way easier on the ears than hick jabber why is it that the rest of the country cant understand the way you guys talk down here??.try getting a job being a public speaker. i bet i would get the job before you would.. heeee hawww heeee hawww dem dare down dare inn mi tractor mannn soo sliickkk an mii musssstannnnggg wit da bigg ole pipes on derr back of it..and by talking through our noses you mean to properly enunciate our words right?..ohh and i have lived all over the US have you??? i love the rest of the US and have nothing to complain about because all the people are way more understanding and layed back..and they actually have public transportation and characterto their towns and cities...where are the great scenic parks here?? where is the art scene??? why do all the best bands always blow off coming here(hahahaha which i actually find kind of funny).... ohhh sorry forgot you guys have NASSCAAARRRRR YEEEEE HAWWWW. and why is it everyone my age from here that i have taken to explore other places never want to come back???? and most of the people my age born and raised here are all burnouts????
Colddiamond is an educated, young well-bred woman. We hang out together. Would you like some swayt tay dearie?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:00 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
I wish all those that don't like it here, would move.

You move to another area in droves causing many changes, congestion, overcrowding in schools, hospitals etc., and then complain thay the new place you are at is not like the place you came from. How stupid.

I have been all over this great Country of ours, and I find people the same every where I have been. Some good, some bad.

For the many years I have visited/lived here I have heard, and agree,"I wish I could'a would'a, should'a, moved here sooner.

Show respect for the people and thier culture and they will welcome you with open arms.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:11 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Good God, what condescending posts Chicago! And you call Southerners narrow minded?? I'm a fairly sophisticated yankee and have been okay down here. Now for my story.

I have no regrets because I moved here out of necessity. This spring I accepted a teaching job in the country after two years of subbing in Michigan and no job. But I've liked it better than I thought I would.

I'm midwestern, and proud of where I come from, but overall I like it here. There's stuff I don't like, but that has more to do with being in the country than anything else. The people have been nice and welcoming, and all around good people. And frankly, I don't care if you've never read Tolstoy, or been to an art gallery. As long as you're a good person, everything else shouldn't matter. Oh, and I don't mind the southern accent either. I find it warm and friendly.

I do miss home though. I miss being on Lake Michigan, and crazy as it sounds, I'll miss the snow, and the people, and the friends and family I left behind. Someday I hope to go back. Not because I don't like the South, but because the midwest is my home.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:03 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
First off, Im not a guy. Sweetheart, Im 22, have most likely walked amongst and been one of more diverse classes of people in my short lifetime and FAR from a burnout. Ive posted this in other places, but Im a college student on the Dean's list with a 3.7 GPA and a long-standing membership in the honor society.
Hardly call that a burnout. If you dont believe my age, Id be happy to call witnesses to this thread that have seen my picture and will tell you.
And no open-minded individual as you claim to be would be nearly as judgemental and biased against an entire region and culture as you are. Isnt if funny that despite our age similarities one of us has apparently obtained wisdom, whilst the other obviously lacks the fortitude to obtain the same?
Last I checked, an Iphone has punctuation buttons along with letters, and you obviously lack spelling and sentence structure skills, so if I were you I wouldnt bet on beating me in that public speaking job...especially when you've never heard me speak. Some of us are able to switch our accents on and off...Ive had Yankees such as yourself ask me if Im from the north as they are.
And no, I mean your accents sound like you're either squawking,honking, or have a throat condition. Scenic parks are all over this country, just as the "art scene" you're describing can be found wherever you go. All you have to do is know where to look. What, you think art is only created in major cities outside of the South? Beauty is found everywhere, and it doesnt always leap out at you.
And in case you havent noticed, the Southeast isnt exactly inclined (either economically or voter-wise) to take on the higher taxes that come with the public transportation you so treasure.
Again, if you dont like it here, leave. Simple as that. You only make our generation look even less desirable than it already does.

You go, hon!

This Texan (and proud Southerner as well) will definitely vouch for that you are all you claim to be...and then some! And I mean that in the BEST way!

I don't mean to inteject myself into another state's forum discussion, but it never ceases to amaze me how some northerners (whether in North Carolina or out here in Texas) will ridicule, talk down, adopt a superiority complex, tell us how backward we are -- often with the cutsy, smart-a$$, plays on our accents -- and yet remain down here and then whine and wonder why they aren't accepted and referred to as dam-yankees.

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-16-2009 at 10:15 AM..

Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCnut View Post
You are a moron....and your posts proove it. Noone likes you and that's why you continue to belittle an entire state and region of the country.
And trust me.....you are anything but an "educated, intellectual" person.
Colddiamond102 REALLY put you in your place........big time.
I think you are just pissed because you need a diaper change.

Btw, how old are you really? You cant possibly be in your 20s. I am guessing 12?

Please leave; you will not be missed. Good riddance.
I agree wholeheartedly! But there is no need to insult 12 year olds. I know plenty of 12 year olds that are smarter than this guy.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:06 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
well Colddiamond102 after recent review i noticed your a born and raised southerner so no wonder you have those close minded opinions i have been talking about and i bet you are old as dirt also and i happen to still be young but already obviously have better horizons and have an open mind..oh and sorry if my spelling wasnt up to par i typed those posts from my iPhone....hahah and whatever the northern accent is way easier on the ears than hick jabber why is it that the rest of the country cant understand the way you guys talk down here??.try getting a job being a public speaker. i bet i would get the job before you would.. heeee hawww heeee hawww dem dare down dare inn mi tractor mannn soo sliickkk an mii musssstannnnggg wit da bigg ole pipes on derr back of it..and by talking through our noses you mean to properly enunciate our words right?..ohh and i have lived all over the US have you??? i love the rest of the US and have nothing to complain about because all the people are way more understanding and layed back..and they actually have public transportation and characterto their towns and cities...where are the great scenic parks here?? where is the art scene??? why do all the best bands always blow off coming here(hahahaha which i actually find kind of funny).... ohhh sorry forgot you guys have NASSCAAARRRRR YEEEEE HAWWWW. and why is it everyone my age from here that i have taken to explore other places never want to come back???? and most of the people my age born and raised here are all burnouts????
You call people from the South close-minded, when in reality, you are the most narrow-minded person on this thread. I get the notion that no matter where you go you will have this ignorant outlook on life.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:11 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchick30 View Post
I don't reget it either. I moved from upstate NY 11yrs ago and I also took a pay cut but the cost of living was and is a LOT cheaper here, and winter is nothing compared to home.
Now I do regret moving from the Burlington area to where I am at now. There was alot more opportunity there.
This town reminds so much of the small town I grew up in. Not many good restaurants, NO movie theaters, not a whole lot of choices, but on the up side this town and some others nearby are going thru a "revitalitaztion program", and there seems to be some good stuff going on and new restaurants. So Im excited to see what happens.
Again not really what you were looking for, if I wasnt running from the harsh winters and expence of being a single parent up there, I might have regret it, but i think I did what was best for my son and myself.
And I'll take a 101 degrees +, over a month of single digit and below zero temps. up there anyday. (i go visit in summer and fall)
So you're in the right place for you...here in upstate, we have had a string of 88-90 degree days recently and humidity to match and it is MISERABLE!!!!!!! I could not stand this for months at a time.....yeah, the winters can be brutal but tell me, what's the difference between being stuck in my house because it's too cold out or too hot out? Nothing, imo.....the rest of the summer has been in the 70s 80s and I have loved it....to each their own ps it's 88 mugggggg-eeeee and now has started raining...sorry, this weather ties for miserable eckkkk

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 08-20-2009 at 12:40 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 12:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robma44541 View Post
I read in a local paper were an elected official once said "it doesn't matter how long you live down here, if you weren't born here you'll never be a local!"
Guess that sums it up for me.....................
But how is that different from almost any area, such as New England, Minnesota, Utah, etc--other than huge cities such as LA/NY/SF where everyone is transitional? I understand that in Maine, they call everyone "from away" who wasn't born there. This is not a NC thing!

Quote:
You move to another area in droves causing many changes, congestion, overcrowding in schools, hospitals etc., and then complain thay the new place you are at is not like the place you came from. How stupid.
This really, really is the crux of it. I for one enjoy SOME degree of growth in this area and the more "cosmopolitan" way it's become (Blue state, yay!) in the past few years, BUT: there has to be a curb put on the rampant, exploding growth of folks swarming here like locusts. Especially when so many say "I moved here to get away from traffic, high prices, and impatient people", not realizinig that by moving here, they directly add to the... well, traffic, increased cost of living, and thus impatience overall. With tens of thousands showing up every year, soon we'll be saying "Welcome to Atlanta/Alexandria, VA" on the clogged, bumper-to-bumper freeways that so many newcomers in such a short time are causing.

And never mind the "we moved here because there are so many trees" folks, as they pull up into their shiny new cookie-cutter subdivisdion that was a forest merely two years ago...

Rampant, unchecked growth DIRECTLY affects the exact "quality of life" that people are supposedly moving here in droves FOR.

Last edited by Francois; 08-20-2009 at 12:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina