Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 07:36 AM

59 posts, read 203,456 times

Advertisements

I really don't want to come across as mean or unwelcoming when I say this, but I'm having trouble coping with the growth NC is seeing in the past few years. I was born and raised in NC and have always loved the small towns across the state. I love the fact that I can travel 2 hours and get to the beach, or 4 hours and be in the mountains. It makes me sad to see how few truly small towns are left, and I worry that the coast and the mountains (and environment in general) are going to suffer from the tremendous changes.

My questions are, does anyone else feel this way? And how do I become more accepting of the growth and change? I know people are going to continue to move here, so I'd rather embrace them than feel frustrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 10:29 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,451,579 times
I agree with your sentiment about growth in general. I think it is definitely a bad thing for the environment. But, I don't think there's any shortage of small towns. There are tons with very little growth going on. Most of North Carolina is covered in small towns.

As I understand it, the growth is occuring in the metro areas, and the small towns that are within about 1 hour of those metros.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:49 AM

548 posts, read 2,641,592 times
I think growth anywhere is hard for those who were there before it. I moved here from AZ, and it was the exact same thing. People were moving into Tucson at a really fast rate, and many who had lived there a long time were not thrilled with the change.

Everywhere in the US where there is a large population was once rural too. I'm sure there were angry/sad people in NYC as the farmland was covered by buildings too.

I don't get upset about growth in and of itself, but I would like to see more environmentally friendly growth.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:16 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,070,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIlover View Post
I really don't want to come across as mean or unwelcoming when I say this, but I'm having trouble coping with the growth NC is seeing in the past few years. I was born and raised in NC and have always loved the small towns across the state. I love the fact that I can travel 2 hours and get to the beach, or 4 hours and be in the mountains. It makes me sad to see how few truly small towns are left, and I worry that the coast and the mountains (and environment in general) are going to suffer from the tremendous changes.

My questions are, does anyone else feel this way? And how do I become more accepting of the growth and change? I know people are going to continue to move here, so I'd rather embrace them than feel frustrated.

You are not alone in feeling this way. People that move to a new area, let alone a new state, dont have a connection to the area. The growth particulary in the Lake Norman area, is insane. Traffic is terrible. The area is pretty, and is in a close proximity to Charlotte, I understand why people would want to move here. Its getting expensive, too much for me it seems.

Whenever I hear newcomers say "I love it here in the South/NC". I cant help but think to myself you are not really in the South or NC. You are in the middle of some big box store cookie cutter house suburb living side by side people not from the South that just happened to be plopped down in a state known as NC.

Even grass roots sports like NASCAR have been completely commercialized, to me, not southern anymore. There are still places in NC untouched by growth and probably will remain that way, but not where everyone wants to live.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:36 PM

59 posts, read 203,456 times
thanks for the replies

It is comforting to know that I'm not alone. I think my biggest concern is that the rapid growth is NOT environmentally friendly. I'm almost to the point where I'd like to move somewhere that is friendlier, but I don't even know where that would be (I currently live in the Triangle). I also worry that more people moving to the area will mean the more tourist-y areas (i.e., mountains and beach) will become swamped and lose their natural beauty.

And I agree about the fact that a lot of people don't really know the South/NC when they claim they "love" it. It makes me wonder if our NC culture will slowly die out as out-of-staters pour into the area. I sure hope not. Like I said, I want to welcome newcomers, but I also want them to convert to our laid-back ways

Old 04-23-2007, 01:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,292,087 times
I guess im more optimistic with the growth and think it good for everyone. I do not see the state growing at an alarming rate though. Yes there problems around metro areas and that is about it. There some counties are experiencing loss of population.
I guess the way I look at it is with more people means more people with ideas and ideas can turn into industry to replace those dead end jobs that once flourish the state tobacco, furniture, textile.

Far as enviroment there is actually more trees planted in the state than there was 15 years ago. Most of subdivisions you see was once just a field and even though they might not be oaks or pine there is trees around as part of the landscaping.

If suburban life starts to get to you do what I do I take a road that isnt the interstate. Make a day trip to drive on Highway 421 or 64 to reminded of there is still rural small town NC still left or visit any of the cities in this thread most of these small towns are not experiencing growth. //www.city-data.com/forum/north...que-names.html

Old 04-23-2007, 01:40 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,071,604 times
It seems the only ones who are benefiting from the rapid growth are the contractors, real estate agents, home builders, etc.....if the landscape of the area is being altered to the extent that natives are upset, then it's "too much too soon" IMO. And in this era of realization that we have pretty much raped Mother Earth almost to the point of no return, maybe it's time to re-evaluate the cookie cutter, slam bam attitude and concentrate on revitalization of areas.

Granted, in the areas like NC, the growth is outpacing the facilities available but that would be the time for the powers that be to step upand begin some longterm planning because I'm sure no one wants these hot spots to bloom like crazy, begin tripping all over themselves and reaching the saturation point that forces people to look elsewhere leaving in their wake, quick built homes, look-a-like big box stores and restaurants while the beauty of the area is lost in the concrete and dust...........

Old 04-23-2007, 03:37 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,745,652 times
Change is inevitable. Deal with it.
The world is getting smaller quickly and people are moving about. The baby boomers are retiring in record numbers at a time when moving to "Heaven's Waiting Room" otherwise known as Florida is no longer a good option. Arizona has too lost it's luster. You think the developers are bad here wait until those clowns out west empty the aquifers watering their golf courses.
I applaud Denver NC for not issuing any more building permits because they realize that they cannot handle the sewage treatment. Good decisive government is what is needed to keep a lid on things. So often greed seems to win out over common sense.
OK.......that's my rant for today.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:53 PM

105 posts, read 390,177 times
Like hapaleeretired said, nothing can really be done about the growth the main two metros are facing. Seems like the only cities really experiencing major growth are the Charlotte and Raleigh metros...Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem, Fayetteville, Rocky Mount, Greenville, New Bern, Jacksonville, Asheville, etc are all growing much slower, so I guess natives that don't want extremely fast growth and cities with 'growing pains' should try these cities out.

Or is the Triad growing rapidly? I know a good amount of the other cities in the state, but my knowledge of that area is limited. The board sure isn't very active.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:27 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,071,604 times
You think the developers are bad here wait until those clowns out west empty the aquifers watering their golf courses.

That's an excellent point as it's been said that fresh water is the oil of the next century (or sooner if you believe all that the global warming gurus are saying). Living in an area within a stone's throw of multiply pristine finger lakes (upstate NY) and the Great Lakes, we don't give cheap, clean water a second thought. Then we have visitors from AZ who tell us fresh water is close to being rationed in some parts of the SW.....they exaggerate I'm sure but it's certainly on the horizon.

Presently, we have a small finger lake near us that is undeveloped because it's been the water supply for the nearest city for the last century....the contract is up next year with the city and there's talk of selling off property around the lake to developers because a huge water treatment plant has been built so keeping it pristine is not such a big issue

People are up in arms as it is a beautiful sancuary of untouched nature you don't see anymore. We'll see who wins: big money or environmentalists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina