Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 10:50 AM

40 posts, read 182,326 times

Advertisements

I have a 6 yr old and he has been cooped up in the house with video games. I try to find something else for him to do, but what? I know about spending $$ on summer camps and the YMCA, but does anyone around this area know where I can find parks with tennis courts or swimming pool locations? Is there a "beach" on Lake Hickory for the public? Low on funds here but t.v and video games are getting old, so is playing games and reading with mom... Appreciate any help for a little only child with no friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 11:07 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabhappy View Post
I have a 6 yr old and he has been cooped up in the house with video games. I try to find something else for him to do, but what? I know about spending $$ on summer camps and the YMCA, but does anyone around this area know where I can find parks with tennis courts or swimming pool locations? Is there a "beach" on Lake Hickory for the public? Low on funds here but t.v and video games are getting old, so is playing games and reading with mom... Appreciate any help for a little only child with no friends.
Two suggestions, get in the car and ride over to Lake James State Park in Morganton. They have a really nice little sandy beach and roped off swim area with lifeguards. The water is clear and cool and perfect for a little kid.

Next, head over to Hiddenite and let him pan for emeralds at the emerald mine - kids live digging in the dirt and finding "treasure". North Carolina Hiddenite Gems Emerald Hollow Mine Information Page

Old 07-27-2007, 07:21 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,946 times
There's an awesome (little known) waterpark!

Kool Park
3170 31st Ave Ct NE
Hickory, NC

Phone 828-381-9363

Old 07-27-2007, 09:04 PM

573 posts, read 2,441,985 times
How far is Hiddenite from Hickory? Does it cost anything to enter the Lake James State Park?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Two suggestions, get in the car and ride over to Lake James State Park in Morganton. They have a really nice little sandy beach and roped off swim area with lifeguards. The water is clear and cool and perfect for a little kid.

Next, head over to Hiddenite and let him pan for emeralds at the emerald mine - kids live digging in the dirt and finding "treasure". North Carolina Hiddenite Gems Emerald Hollow Mine Information Page

Old 07-28-2007, 07:01 PM

I have never heard of hiddenite before, but I will click on the link...thank you, Lovesmountains for the info on that and Lake James. We did go to Lake James last year and it was nice. I guess that would be something beachy to do. thanks!

Old 07-28-2007, 07:03 PM

Also didn't mean to leave you out NC~Mom...I drove down Kool park rd once and never found that pool. Then I heard it was inside a building or a school or something weird. I never ventured back there to look for buildings, but that day we went back and forth 2 times looing for a sign..but found nothing. Anyone ever been there??? Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 10,341 times
Default Moving to Hickory and need help

I would really appreciate some help from those new or established in the hickory, North Carolina area. We may be moving to Hickory soon and are looking for schools, areas to live, activities for children. I have two boys in parochial schools and understand that Catholic grade schools or high schools are not an option in Hickory. Can someone give me opinions regarding schools and what the town has to offer. My sons are 12 and 9.
Thank you,

Louisville Mom

Old 07-29-2007, 05:05 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times
Take a day trip up to Wilson's Creek in Caldwell County and take a dip. It is beautiful. Take a picnic lunch. Go up to Tweetsie Railroad towards Blowing Rock.
State Parks are free in NC. Nice beach down at Lake Lure too.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:16 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,946 times
Trying to post pics of Kool Park...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/StopTheInsan8ty/koolpark2.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/StopTheInsan8ty/koolpark1.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-29-2007, 08:34 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Those are great pics. Looks like so much fun. Where exactly is this "Kool Park"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina