Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 5,809 times

Advertisements

I am currently from IA. Wanting to move to NC. I have a daughter with Down Syndrome she has currently been enrolled in public school and attends gen. ed. class the majority of the day. Only pulled out an hour, for extra help in reading and math. I am looking for a location that's school places special ed students with their peers in regular classroom to learn and understands the importance of this! Anyone who can give me any info on how and what schools handle this the best would be greatly appreciated!! I have been looking in the Salisbury/Gastonia/or smaller community around the Charlotte area. Thanks again for your input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 12:55 PM

999 posts, read 4,652,384 times
We lived in Cumberland county (Fayetteville, about 2-3 hrs east of Gastonia), and they had no issues mainstreaming my daughter, who has multiple special needs. We moved to Union County, on the other side of Charlotte, from Gastonia, and there is really not a chance, aside from a lawsuit, of getting my daughter back in the mainstream. Schools are run, mostly, by county here so hopefully someone here will know more about Gaston County and maybe Iredell county as well.
Good luck!

Old 08-07-2009, 11:23 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,415 times
Sorry I can't help but you might want to post on the Charlotte board too. Not everyone scans the whole NC section. I am sure you will get some replies there.

Good luck in your search.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:48 PM

9 posts, read 15,547 times
Hello I'm planning on moving to Charlotte nc and I have a special needs daughter she is total care she can't walk, talk, she is legally blind, has hearing loss etc...... I'm looking for the best school. Can someone please help me out...... Thanks!!!!!

Old 09-06-2014, 05:29 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby teasley View Post
Hello I'm planning on moving to Charlotte nc and I have a special needs daughter she is total care she can't walk, talk, she is legally blind, has hearing loss etc...... I'm looking for the best school. Can someone please help me out...... Thanks!!!!!
I suggest starting your own thread in the Charlotte sub-forum and use a very specific title. Your question will get lost in the general NC forum.

However it would help to know why you have chosen to move to Charlotte. Is there a job already lined up? Which part of the Charlotte area?

Old 09-15-2014, 05:38 PM

12 posts, read 19,329 times
I have heard good things about Metro School in Charlotte.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:55 AM

9 posts, read 15,547 times
OK thanks a lot. I will start my own forum but I just want a new start for me and my daughter got out a a bad relationship with my child father now it's no help from him so its just me and my daughter. I'm currently working in the fields of home health and hope to continue when I move. Thanks for both if your inputs. I really do appreciate it a lot

Old 06-01-2015, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,722 times
This might help. Here's links for the "Special Education Scholarship Grants for Children with Disabilities in NC".
Here are several sites regarding the grant and schools. Following this is Public School information on Special Needs.

[url=http://www.ncseaa.edu/CDSG.htm]North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority: CDG[/url]
[url=http://pefnc.org/legislation/disabilities-scholarships/]Children with Disabilities Scholarship Grants Parents for Educational Freedom in North Carolina (PEFNC)[/url]
[url=http://www.edchoice.org/School-Choice/Programs/Special-Education-Scholarship-Grants-for-Children-with-Disabilities.aspx]Special Education Scholarship Grants for Children with Disabilities | The Friedman Foundation for Educational Choice[/url],

List of Private Schools: [url=http://www.ncdnpe.org/hhh118.aspx]North Carolina Directory of Non-Public Schools - Conventional Schools Edition[/url]

Here's information on public schools
[url=http://ec.ncpublicschools.gov/]Exceptional Children[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina