Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 08:56 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
Wow. I don't know what else to say.
The "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees" nickname for Cary has been around for 30 years, and even most Yankees in Cary use it. It's tongue-in-cheek, but the name continues because it's essentially true; Cary is a mecca for Northern transplants in this region. It's not intended to be insulting (most of the time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 09:06 AM

I realize this thread is a few months old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyfromMA View Post
But I've heard the hurricanes can be a real problem in that region.
Hurricanes should never be a reason to avoid this state; they are rare. We usually get the residue from them in the form of strong storms, but direct hits to NC are not common, especially if you aren't directly on the beach.

Quote:
My wife is also deathly afraid of spiders, she freezes up and freaks out. And I'm certain that the critters down south are going to be significantly larger than up here in the north.
LOTS of spiders, not to mention mosquitoes and other bugs, and snakes. Especially the more rural you are. "Getting close to nature" is not always a 100% positive experience!

Quote:
We want a city where we can get our grocery shopping done, and where a mall or other shopping options are available within 10-20 minutes drive. We don't drive all that often, but we'd prefer someplace without a ton of traffic (i.e. not super interested in living in a large city)
You'd definitely want to avoid the Triangle (Raleigh) area if you don't like traffic; it gets measurably worse with each passing year, as the super-high growth rate is much faster than the infrastructure can keep up with.

You might look towards the Greenville, Wilson, or Rocky Mount areas. They are generally rural in character but still "cities" of some sort (not the "boonies") and still maintain a lot of the "Eastern NC that tobacco built" character. In many ways it would be like a time machine back a few decades, but that can be good or bad.

Quote:
But seriously, give us yanks a chance, we're good folk and want to get away from all the grumpy people up north and enjoy a slower lifestyle.
Unfortunately, far too many of those "grumpy people" from up North have already beat you here, and their favorite pasttime is to complain about things such as the "slower lifestyle" because "that's not the way they did things up Naawth"!

Check the subfurom for Eastern ("Coastal") NC for the best info on Wilmington, Greenville, Wilson, and Rocky Mount. New Bern (pronounced "NOObern", not "New BERN", just FYI) is another place that's getting a lot of attention.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:11 PM

431 posts, read 1,141,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees" nickname for Cary has been around for 30 years, and even most Yankees in Cary use it. It's tongue-in-cheek, but the name continues because it's essentially true; Cary is a mecca for Northern transplants in this region. It's not intended to be insulting (most of the time).
As a "yankee" moving to the south soon, I worry that there will be a lot of insults.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:15 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
Quote:
As a "yankee" moving to the south soon, I worry that there will be a lot of insults.

Just don't ever start a sentence with "Up North we usually . . . ." and you'll probably be okay.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Just don't ever start a sentence with "Up North we usually . . . ." and you'll probably be okay.
I wasn't planning on it. We're moving because we're sick of "up north". I want to be a southerner.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:23 PM

Oh yeah. One more thing. NOObern? As in a long version of no?

Old 12-23-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah. One more thing. NOObern? As in a long version of no?
Heh, no, like "new", but the point is that the accent is on "New", not "Bern", which runs contrary to almost every other geographic place named "New ___", which always accent the second word ((New York, New Mexico, etc). I don't know the history of this, and actually I never thought about it until I heard a Nicholas Sparks (who is from New Bern) book read on audio and the reader kept pronouncing it "new BERN" which drove me crazy

Don't worry about the "Yankee" thing; it's mostly not an insult, just a descriptor. Some use it as an insult, but it's pretty easy to tell from the tone. I compare it to the word "Jew"--it can be used (usually) in a very neutral way, or in a "pointed" way ("My neighbors are Jews" vs "My neighbors are Jews!") and you can usually tell which. Your Northern "birthright", as it were, will not be held against you, but any stereotypical "Yankee" traits such as being particularly loud, rude, in-your-face, argumentative, or saying "Why don't you people do things/drive faster/etc like where we come from, what kind of backwards place is this!?!" [or thereabouts] will have you branded a "Yankee" with the corresponding negative connotations. From your "tone" in your initial inquiry, I can't imagine any trouble

Old 12-23-2009, 09:01 PM

293 posts, read 782,119 times
Don't worry, we promise not to be rude like many of our northern counterparts.

We don't even have the Bostonian accent (i.e. I'm going to pahk da cah in Hahvad Yahd)

Old 12-24-2009, 07:35 AM

I'm not sure what my birthright would be...I was born in Norfolk, Virginia and raised in New York. All my life my Mom has said I'm a southern girl because of it and I'm finally ready to embrace that.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:43 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Heh, no, like "new", but the point is that the accent is on "New", not "Bern", which runs contrary to almost every other geographic place named "New ___", which always accent the second word ((New York, New Mexico, etc). I don't know the history of this, and actually I never thought about it until I heard a Nicholas Sparks (who is from New Bern) book read on audio and the reader kept pronouncing it "new BERN" which drove me crazy

Don't worry about the "Yankee" thing; it's mostly not an insult, just a descriptor. Some use it as an insult, but it's pretty easy to tell from the tone. I compare it to the word "Jew"--it can be used (usually) in a very neutral way, or in a "pointed" way ("My neighbors are Jews" vs "My neighbors are Jews!") and you can usually tell which. Your Northern "birthright", as it were, will not be held against you, but any stereotypical "Yankee" traits such as being particularly loud, rude, in-your-face, argumentative, or saying "Why don't you people do things/drive faster/etc like where we come from, what kind of backwards place is this!?!" [or thereabouts] will have you branded a "Yankee" with the corresponding negative connotations. From your "tone" in your initial inquiry, I can't imagine any trouble
Francois - I usually agree with almost all of your posts but this one I take some exception to. I disagree that using the term "Jew" as above is merely conversational. As a Jew, I find that insulting....and feel the term "Jewish" is much more appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina