Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

NC: school quality, north-easterly track, experienced teachers, older place, tax free shopping

Old 07-13-2006, 10:41 AM

Location: MD - by the bay (from PA to FL to CO to MD -now onto NC!)
5 posts, read 59,836 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone..

I posted on a nother thread, but thought I'd repost here so my questions don't get lost.

We are heading to NC in August to look around at a few areas we've researched to see if they are really places we'd want to live.

Here's the thing (everyone, anyone..), in one year I'll be a teacher. I'm an older student with kids of my own, too, so school quality is a big deal to me. I've been searching, using a NC report card site, for schools in small towns meeting AYP that are not crowded.

I'm looking in the areas surrounding Charlotte, but on a north-easterly track. I have family in Charlotte, and want to be close enough to visit, but need to be able to get to 85 easily (to visit family in Lanc., PA).

Anyone have any knowledge of the school system out there, or how I can best investigate the possibilities? We are going to visit in a few weeks to do some looking around, with the hope of relocating next summer after I graduate.

Any teachers out there, or anyone with with some experience in the local public school politics?

Any suggestions on small-ish towns maybe with some history? We want an older place with at least 2000 sq ft, lots of yard, but with many families and kids nearby. Right now I live across the street from an elementary school - we love having so many kids nearby, and I love being able to pop in at the school to help out.

Thanks!

PS. I lived in S. FL through the boom years. It was not a bad place before, now it is crowded and impersonal, and its terribly expensive. My mom, who still lives there, is also relocating.. to NC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 11:14 AM

23 posts, read 111,371 times
we are looking to retire/relocate from Elkton to the Amberly-Cary area. am real tired of shoveling of MD winter snow. g'luck with your shopping. too bad you are not interested in Elkton - I live within walking distance of the elementary/middle/high schools AND the public (very modern) library! it's a great area, but we need to downsize. will miss the DE tax free shopping (just a slight 1 mile from the state line).....NC is a good state. hope all your dreams come true.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:02 PM

Location: MD - by the bay (from PA to FL to CO to MD -now onto NC!)
5 posts, read 59,836 times
*grin* Sounds like my neighborhood here.. only we need to upsize! I like Elkton.. Its a really pretty area, in general.. I just don't want to be in MD anymore.

I am hoping to find something like it in NC. I can get so much more for my money in NC, and the pay for teachers there is about as reasonable as any other. I just need to find the right neighborhood!

Thanks for your thoughts! Good luck on your home search, too!

Old 07-13-2006, 02:40 PM

5 posts, read 27,890 times
I too am in the same situation - relocating from Maryland (Annapolis) to NC (Raleigh area). We are also trying to find that right neighborhood where we are in a good school disctrict. My daughter is only 5 months old and from what I am told, we could get into a good district now, but 5 years from now, they will probably redisctrict, so the schools may not be as good by then. It's been hard trying to find that right neighborhood. We have made many trips down there and just when we find a home we like in the price range we can afford, we look into the schools and find out they aren't as diversified as we would like. Although the Annapolis area is beautiful, the school district we are currently in is not the best, as a matter of fact, its pretty bad, and its way too expensive here to relocate, so no matter what we will be moving to NC.

So, good luck - I have found this forum has very good feedback and is pretty helpful for those of us trying to relocate.

Old 07-13-2006, 03:41 PM

799 posts, read 3,227,286 times
Hey Whimsical ~
I could have written your post, our situation is so similar! I am visiting Charlotte in Mid-August too for the first time.
I would imagine with the population boom Charlotte is experiencing they would probably welcome new faculty with open arms. I don't know if there any special licensing laws specific to NC, but I feel confident you will find employment and be very active in it.

I have family in Matthews, which is south and a bit east of Charlotte. On their envelopes they write "Matthews" and not Charlotte. It's an older town that feels smaller but has all the amenities, according to my aunt. You should most **certainly** check that area out. There is also a lot of growth in the south part of the Meck. county because Union county taxes are lower, so it's something to keep in mind.

You should download Google Earth. It's free and wonderful. It's basically satellite imaging for any address. Be careful though, it can be off by a house or two, but it will show you the trees, business and so on. You can click on the icons and it will find anything you want: schools, shopping, grocery stores, crime stats, and much more all on the same page. You won't regret it!

MRS BRIDGE - I live in Northern Virginia, my daughter was born in Annapolis last year at Anne Arundel!! Howdy neighbor!!

Old 07-13-2006, 05:35 PM

23 posts, read 111,371 times
I appreciate the chatter from y'all We leave tomorrow for Durham and the Cary area. Hope to have some chit chat/questions on Tuesday when I return to this 'puter. Wish us luck! the Grand Opening is Saturday for the Carolina Preserve. The community of Amberly is a planned community with affordable housing for families. Hey, Elkton, you might want to google Amberly to see what it says. Planned communities = kids = services = Staff! There are so many things around here that will be hard to leave (we luv day trips to Annapolis, St Michaels, Lancaster, Reading, etc.etc.) and always I mention DE tax free! But it's the darn weather and living in a big home in a neighborhood built for raising families is not what two active seniors need, y'know. We may come home thinking differently, but we're going with an open mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina