U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 7,582 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I are looking to relocate to NC from Columbus Ohio mainly because we hate the cold and grayness of the winter. We are both 30 with no children but will within a few years hopefully but we need more in info on the Charlotte, Raleigh and Wilmington areas. Taking jobs out of the equation because before we move anywhere we'll have jobs first, which areas are better? We just got back from spending a few days in Raleigh and Charlotte and are first impressions are that Charlotte seemed a little nicer but the suburbs seemed a little too rural. I've heard so many good things about southern Charlotte like Matthews and Weddington but they both seemed very rural. We did like the north better like Huntersville and Cornelius by the Lake but even up there seemed a littel rural. As for Raleigh we liked Chapel Hill but once again alot of the suburbs seemed really rural like Apex and Holly Springs. Its hard cause we may have not been driving around in the best areas of these cities even though we tried to spread out. As for Wilmington we don't know much about it but like how its on the ocean. Basically we kinda like an area with more stores, malls, restaurants and parks. Not too much rural areas out in the sticks. All advice is welcome!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 08:38 AM

2,669 posts, read 6,623,926 times
Uh, I don't get it. Aren't the suburbs supposed to be more rural than the city?

Sorry, but in NC the stores, malls, restaurants are generally found in the cities. Many people choose to live in the suburbs to get away from all that.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:24 AM

3,169 posts, read 7,923,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Uh, I don't get it. Aren't the suburbs supposed to be more rural than the city?

Sorry, but in NC the stores, malls, restaurants are generally found in the cities. Many people choose to live in the suburbs to get away from all that.
I think what she means is that the suburbs of major cities tend to be more urban (Aka, Arlington/Alexandria, VA, Long Island, NY). The thing is, most cities in the South tend to have more land area than in the midwest/north. So, living in the city limits itself is possible while still being suburban. You can't do that in Washington D.C, or NYC.

I live in Raleigh, but 10 miles from downtown. It's a nice suburban area close to shopping, RTP, etc. You should have checked out areas of North Raleigh (within the city limits), and Cary and I think you would have found more typical suburbia, than say Holly Springs or Apex. A lot of "suburbs" of Raleigh, would really be considered "exsurbs" in your bigger city regions.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:57 PM

4,392 posts, read 8,438,385 times
Durham has suburbs that are near shopping and restaurants.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:44 PM

13,240 posts, read 21,252,993 times
It's often the case that the people from the "North", who move to NC, think that they are supposed to live outside the actual city limits of the major cities. I don't know what they are trying to achieve by this but.....I can tell you that you don't have to look outside the actual city limits. So, take another look at neighborhoods in Charlotte and Raleigh city limits. I think you'll find what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina