Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 05:22 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
The most absolute worst part of Floridians driving around in the mountains is they don't know how! They're so used to flat straight roads that they get all freaked out at the slightest incline........ 20mph in a 45 mph zone in the western third of NC? Yeah, it's a Florida car! LOL
Welllll ...... Some sections will say 45mph then all of a sudden turn into 20mph roads. The topography of the western part of the state is like that. And if these people aren't used to the roads, I'd rather see them be cautious than go around a turn and over the edge.

Some of these mountain roads are not safe at a speed over 20mph. I've been out riding on some roads where the posted limit is 15mph because of the number of switchbacks and the possibility that bits of the mountain might have fallen onto the road. Some routes have signs warning truckers to absolutely stay away, while also advising anyone with a vehicle over a certain length to be cautious. One route .... I can't recall the road number; it was between Blowing Rock and Linville; anyway, sections of the road on the edge of the incline were actually bowed and appeared to be in a state of decay. Someone from NCDOT needs to check that out. Also, that route is noted for having overhanging rocks. Hapaleeretired would know what I'm talking about. Yet it's in an area where people are building houses.

Most of the major routes into the western parts of the state: 321/421, etc, are good for getting there. Get into the back parts of the area is different. As used to those roads as I am, and as much enjoyment I get from riding back there, I still view them as something to be cautious about.

Last edited by silverwing; 07-14-2006 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2006, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,886 times
I Think You'd Better Brace Yourselves. There's Going To Be More And More Former Floridians Moving To Your Neck Of The Woods. Yes, They Are Retirees, But 45-55 Yoa. Most Are Former Police Officers From Many Different Depts. From So. Florida. We're All Trying To Escape The Rrrraaaapid Pace And The Hurricanes. Don't Worry Though, You Won't Find A More Model Citizen. As For The Mountain Driving, We'll Adapt.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:38 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,012 times
Maybe they are out looking for the hanging chads.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:55 PM

8 posts, read 22,226 times
Default Whoa! I thought NC people were nice?

Hey! I'm a Floridian (ok, actually I moved to Florida from CA 10 years ago), and I'm definitely not over 65, I probably drive a lot faster than you do (even on curves and mountains!) and I'm moving to Charlotte in Sept.

To be honest with you, the taxes here are killer! You can't even move from one house to another house of the same value because the taxes will kill you. The hurricanes definitely don't help matters, and it's hot as hell in the summertime!

But my husband and I are moving our family to NC for the following reasons:

1. More affordable housing. (We just bought a house $70,000 less than our house in on the market for and it's twice the sq. ft.)

2. A younger crowd. (Okay, I admit it's pretty old here in FL... I'll give you that!)

3. A more diverse population (culturally speaking) than in Florida.

My husband is a 4th generation Floridian and he is disgusted with the way that this state has been "taken over" from northerners.

I do understand how you feel. But it is not just NC -- it is happening everywhere -- just happens that NC is THE spot at the moment. Give us a chance. We really can be nice friends and good people.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:43 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffcott
Hey! I'm a Floridian (ok, actually I moved to Florida from CA 10 years ago), and I'm definitely not over 65, I probably drive a lot faster than you do (even on curves and mountains!) and I'm moving to Charlotte in Sept.
<shakes head> Some people will just have to learn ...

Old 07-15-2006, 04:14 PM

167 posts, read 945,022 times
As far as driving slow in the mountains goes... I'm totally guilty of that myself. And I'm not old (23!) and I've lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin all my life--so it's not just the Floridians! BUT--I was very careful to use those pull-offs and let other cars go around me because I know the natives can handle it a lot better and faster than I can. (It didn't help that on this trip, I was driving this big conversion van that constantly felt like it was ready to tip over instead of my little Integra that corners like it's on rails... that'll be much better in the mountains!)

Old 07-18-2006, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,886 times
I can tell you that places like Lake Lure and other parts west of 95 are doing a lot of AM radio advertising in Florida. Maybe they're trying to get all the snowbirds to split the difference from summers in NY and Jersey.

I lived in Jacksonville, FL and travelled Florida on the job for the better part of the last 8 years. Having just moved back to my hometown of Wilmington, my question is why wouldn't someone move from Florida to NC?

Old 07-18-2006, 02:08 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
I read recently in the News&Observer that Florida is exporting people to NC faster than even NY is now... they call them "half backers".... they are northerners who moved to Florida, but didn't like it, so they moved home... but only "half way". But they were stressing that it was more of the young familes with kids who wanted to get out of the horrible Florida schools and away from the state that is catered mostly to retries and not young familes. After NC, PA is the most popular state for these Florida expatriats to move "home" to. (most of course are ORIGINALY from NY, NJ, or MA)

Old 07-18-2006, 04:09 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,682,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf
So we just left Hendersonville and while we were traipsing around that area for a few days, we noticed how many Florida plates we were seeing--more than any other, except NC of course. What's the deal? A whole lot of the people in these FL cars appeared to be of retirement age, and I know Hendersonville is a popular area for retired people, so... Are these retired people who live in FL and come to WNC for the summers, or retired people who are leaving FL and moving to NC for good? Anyone have any ideas about this?
Oh, and this is off topic, but we also saw a Hawaii plate, the first one I've ever seen... how weird huh?
People are selling their homes while they still can before the bubble bursts in Florida.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:10 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,682,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
Maybe they are out looking for the hanging chads.
lol!!! Now that's funny! I love it!~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina