Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 07:50 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,978 times

Advertisements

I agree with some points on the video..It appears most of the charter schools are in poor performing districts as they did point out, kids in wealthier areas do better...I think the tenure, union thing needs to go...Teachers, not the district or the school to a point need to be accountable...With tenure, they cannot lose their job or if they are suspended they still get paid..If I do not do a good job, I get fired or no raise, but no matter what job they do, they get a raise, we can debate this all night but I think the video made some good arguements - the funny this is, outside the USA they get better educated and come here to work or stay where they are and we give them work...think about that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2006, 08:57 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
ok, thank you Tornado Alley - I also think if they broke these big county schools and broke into smaller districts, like we do here in NY, that may help too...I guess with the new Superintentant in CMS, change is coming, let's all hope it is good...due to reputation, people are going to the other districts that are going to face the same situations as in CMS down the line if growth continues as it is projected.
Nooooo! I have to disagree, on LI we have hundreds of districts, layers of bureocracy, some excellent schools, some miserable, most mediocre, all for a very high price!

Old 07-14-2006, 08:59 PM

My point with districts is smaller to some extent is more manageable but I do think they need to take the $$ away from the districts as all they do is STEAL it (imagine nass or suffolk as ONE BIG district-that was my point of comparision)

Old 07-14-2006, 09:42 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
We actually agree on something your right. Vouchers are the answer!

Yes vouchers that's what I always said.

Old 07-14-2006, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
California is no leader in school performance. The dems and teachers unions( is there really a difference?) has CA so locked up that there is no hope of ever changing it.

This guy came from this environment, so I wouldn’t hold my breath on any significant improvement. On the other hand you better pray and get involved cause it’s more likely than not that it could go the way of CA and I can assure you that you don’t want that.

Good point he's coming from California. Don't expect much. Not saying anything about you Cali's I'm referring to the school system that western mentality is a recipe for disaster. Hopefully this guy left California because he was disgusted.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:46 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Good point he's coming from California. Don't expect much. Not saying anything about you Cali's I'm referring to the school system that western mentality is a recipe for disaster. Hopefully this guy left California because he was disgusted.
Good point! Let's hope he left becuase he was disgusted. Sometimes people feel leaving a big place to go to a small place is better, they are more open to change.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
Good point! Let's hope he left becuase he was disgusted. Sometimes people feel leaving a big place to go to a small place is better, they are more open to change.
That would be great.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:05 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,954 times
I have to tell you, you don’t get to that level in a CA school district unless you drink and know how to mix the “Kool Aid”.

There is no way I would trust or hire someone at that level from a CA school district. The most likely scenario is this guy saw an opportunity to turn a blank slate into his ultimate dream school system that he wasn’t able to achieve in CA. That is not good for anyone.

Consider this. With any large North American company you have the workers and managers. The managers have their off site meetings and other gatherings to network and solve the company problems.(usually it’s a social gathering to waste company money and get liquored up). The top managers are usually recruited from within the company. The school system is no different than this type of company. The school system knows they have a monopoly and there is no way that they are going to jeopardize their gravy train by allowing a rogue manager to up set the status quo. All school systems in the US are basically the same company and they like things the way they are.

Of course I could be totally wrong and this guy wants to make the school system everything that a community wants.

If you really want change you need to get the voters to approve school vouchers that follow the students. Competition in education is the only way this system will ever improve.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:10 AM

I know in NY vouhcers will never happen, the teacher unions are too strong...the teachers on LI too, they have it too good....Schools are a business but their business is to educate which has been lost somewhere with the tests, etc...The private schools illustrates a good ex of vouchers, while they have no vouchers, you have to pay to go, if the school is not good, people don't go - so if you want better for your child and cannot afford to buy into a good district by homes, then you can't afford private either, the average person's child cannot get a good education...it is very unforuntate and maybe things may change in the future but I do not forsee it in my lifetime..

Old 07-15-2006, 07:37 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
I know in NY vouhcers will never happen, the teacher unions are too strong...the teachers on LI too, they have it too good....Schools are a business but their business is to educate which has been lost somewhere with the tests, etc...The private schools illustrates a good ex of vouchers, while they have no vouchers, you have to pay to go, if the school is not good, people don't go - so if you want better for your child and cannot afford to buy into a good district by homes, then you can't afford private either, the average person's child cannot get a good education...it is very unforuntate and maybe things may change in the future but I do not forsee it in my lifetime..
What is really scary here on LI is how millions... Millions of $$$ can go missing (be stolen!) & it seems not to be noticed
Then if we vote down a tax increase, they cut school busses & sports, "Oh, austerity time, take the $$$ from the kids!"
Too many beaurocrats, supervisors, administrators, too many layers of fat, too rich a treasure chest to be resisted by those inwhom we put our trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina