Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
Charlotte is the rich uncle that no one wants to talk about, but they sure like the money. We're down in the corner and may as well be in SC for all Raleigh cares. When you see brochures about the state it's Wilmington, RTC, the Outerbanks and Asheville. Never Charlotte. They just like our money.

We had our chance, but the uninformed straight ticket voters botched that one.
Boy, you said a mouthful - WAY TO GO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Exactly! I know it's been a while since I've visited my family in SC, but everytime I travel I-77 to Columbia, I'm always impressed with how they maitain their roads. In NC, it's an entirely different story. I say we have the worst maintained roads in the south.
I would have to disagree - you've obviously never been to Louisiana

Old 08-24-2009, 03:03 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Highways 40/85 from Raleigh to Charlotte are much better. They're wider, mostly lit, and more up to date. Your point is mute.
I think you mean "moot." Smart guy!

Old 08-24-2009, 06:36 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I think you mean "moot." Smart guy!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:09 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Default No sympathy from bus riders

No sympathy from those who don't own a car, will never the means to own a car, and who ride the bus every day.

And what do they dream about everyday riding those buses? Diverting road construction funds to enhance bus service, investing in light rail transit, laughing at the idea of gasoline at $8 a gallon.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:36 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, I have been to New Orleans, but that was waaay back in 1992. Don't remember much, except when a couple of strip club owners in the French Quarter tried to get me and my family to visit their clubs! Other than that, it was just a big blur!

Old 08-28-2009, 07:04 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
No sympathy from those who don't own a car, will never the means to own a car, and who ride the bus every day.

And what do they dream about everyday riding those buses? Diverting road construction funds to enhance bus service, investing in light rail transit, laughing at the idea of gasoline at $8 a gallon.
I'd have to say that Charlotte is the one exception to this rule. Unlike the rest of NC, Charlotte has really put forth an effort to improve mass transit in its metro area.

Mass transit in Charlotte runs 21 hours a day most of the week. Also, Charlotte has BY FAR the best mass transit coverage area of any city in the state.

Raleigh, Greensboro, Durham, Winston-Salem, and Chapel Hill combined has a population of nearly 1.2 million people compared to Charlotte's 700,000. However, Charlotte's transit system carries more passengers than the transit agencies of the aforementioned cities combined.

Charlotte is NC's best city for those that don't (or can't) drive. However, when it comes to NC as a whole (excluding Charlotte) I agree with the above quote. Mass transit is not yet a high priority in this state.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:28 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
So, to sum up this thread:

1. Charlotte has spent gazillions on major road projects and mass transit, but traffic and road conditions are the worst in the country for a city its size.
2. The roads in the rest of NC really suck, even worse than SC, despite the fact that the rest of NC gets the lion's share of the state's road money because Charlotte has no political representation in Raleigh.
3. Charlotte should get even more money for roads (notwithstanding items 1 and 2 above) because it is the state's shining star and lots of people drive there.

I think I got it now.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
So, to sum up this thread:

1. Charlotte has spent gazillions on major road projects and mass transit, but traffic and road conditions are the worst in the country for a city its size.
2. The roads in the rest of NC really suck, even worse than SC, despite the fact that the rest of NC gets the lion's share of the state's road money because Charlotte has no political representation in Raleigh.
3. Charlotte should get even more money for roads (notwithstanding items 1 and 2 above) because it is the state's shining star and lots of people drive there.

I think I got it now.
Sadly, you apparently don't

Old 08-28-2009, 02:50 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Originally Posted by prwfromnc
Exactly! I know it's been a while since I've visited my family in SC, but everytime I travel I-77 to Columbia, I'm always impressed with how they maitain their roads. In NC, it's an entirely different story. I say we have the worst maintained roads in the south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Nor have you driven ANY interstate in Michigan...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina