Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 05:43 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times

Advertisements

I see many posts with regard to crime in the area and some have given it a number - 5 or 6, etc.. where are you guys finding these statistics and numbers - Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2006, 07:46 AM

93 posts, read 698,500 times
I find it amusing that people often worry about crime in NC.
There are 3 serial killers loose here in Phoenix right now, and the police have no leads.
Our newscasts are dominated by shootings and kidnappings, and we get at least one amber alert per week.

Regardless of the "statistics" I am a Carolina boy and have no concerns about crime there. The main motivator behind my return to NC is that I can't imagine my kids growing up anywhere else.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:18 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
http://sbi2.jus.state.nc.us/crp/publ...%20Revised.pdf

Old 07-14-2006, 08:32 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
I agree with Jethro above that it is kinda crazy how many times people ask about crime in this forum. There really is no place here where crime comes anywhere near where most of y'all move down here from, so why you worry about it so much?

Not to mention, most crime you see on NC news is usually targeted from one person to another specific person that the criminal aready knows anyway, due to some personal issue between them....OR it's some random unusual event like a bank robbery.

But instead of taking the crime in context, people just look at flat numbers...then get all freaked out. "Oooh I'm so scared...I better hide away in a suburban cul-de-sac in a gated community away from the scary minorities and city dwellers!!" God it's like people wanna live in Stepford or something.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:38 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
how "Oooh I'm so scared...I better hide away in a suburban cul-de-sac in a gated community away from the scary minorities and city dwellers!!" God it's like people wanna live in Stepford or something.

LOL - No I am not scared and posted once that more crime occurs then we know and even here in NY most of it is people killing or hurting someone they know.

There was a little thing in the charlotte observer today how people who were staying a hotel (they are reloc to the area) left some stuff in their car that was stolen but hey, hello, if you have something so valuable why leave in your car, anywhere??

Old 07-14-2006, 09:01 AM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
Come to think about it, I don't recall there ever being a serial killer anywhere near here. Most of the murders are aimed at a designated target or in the commission of a robbery or the such that do happen. And of course there is a lot of domestic violence here. We have a dentist right now on death row in Raleigh that killed his wife some years ago. And I use to go to him as a patient. It is really unnerving to know that I had a convicted killer in my mouth but you would have never suspected he was capable of such a thing until it happened.

Old 07-14-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
It is really unnerving to know that I had a convicted killer in my mouth
That really made me laugh out loud!

Old 07-14-2006, 09:49 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
I find it amusing that people often worry about crime in NC.
There are 3 serial killers loose here in Phoenix right now, and the police have no leads.
Our newscasts are dominated by shootings and kidnappings, and we get at least one amber alert per week.

Regardless of the "statistics" I am a Carolina boy and have no concerns about crime there. The main motivator behind my return to NC is that I can't imagine my kids growing up anywhere else.

Yep, Can't get too much worse than Phx right now. I'm started to get scared now. It's getting really bad. It's the wild wild west for sure.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Yep, Can't get too much worse than Phx right now. I'm started to get scared now. It's getting really bad. It's the wild wild west for sure.
O.T. The worst of the worst is the Maryvale district. My wife was teaching at an Elementary school there last year and I convinced her to leave, she will be working for the Dysart district this coming year.

Most of the shootings in that area don't even make the news but yesterday some jerk got into a shoot out with the police and a 6 year old boy got hit in the crossfire. Stories like that make me want to leave as soon as possible.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:34 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
O.T. The worst of the worst is the Maryvale district. My wife was teaching at an Elementary school there last year and I convinced her to leave, she will be working for the Dysart district this coming year.

Most of the shootings in that area don't even make the news but yesterday some jerk got into a shoot out with the police and a 6 year old boy got hit in the crossfire. Stories like that make me want to leave as soon as possible.

Maryvale??? oh my gosh no, might as well be in downrown Phx teaching. That's a warzone.

Dysart somewhat better but still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina