Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:06 PM

346 posts, read 613,076 times

Advertisements

Hi folks... First off I am in NJ...I have heard many great things about living in the RTP area. I have been out of work three years...my property taxes on the home I inherited come to $10000 per year. This is on a 3 bedroom 1800 sq.ft. ranch home with a 2 car attached garage and on 3/4s' of an acre with an inground pool. I used to work in Electronics Manufacturing..which has all but dissappeared here in NJ.
So naturally some questions I have...
- Are there good manufacturing jobs in a high tech field in RTP?
- I have heard that sometimes employers will discriminate against "yankees" looking to be employed...so how prevalent is this practice?
- What kind of taxes could I expect for a similar type of home in the RTP area?
- people here in NJ are too caught up with themselves and thus are not friendly or outgoing to strangers. Can I expect things to be better in NC?
It seems many people are moving to your state,like they feel its a utopian world...I know that isnt exactly true. However coming from where I am it certainly does look that way.
With the sale of our home we expect to buy another down there and have enough cash leftover to live while we find work there in RTP area.
-So how good is the economic/employment environment? And could we find jobs once we get there? Or would it be better/smarter to line up employment before we go anywhere?...
Thankyou all for your responses to the newbie questions. Look forward to your responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 05:35 AM

Gee lots of help here

Old 08-21-2009, 10:01 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
Hi folks... First off I am in NJ...I have heard many great things about living in the RTP area. I have been out of work three years...my property taxes on the home I inherited come to $10000 per year. This is on a 3 bedroom 1800 sq.ft. ranch home with a 2 car attached garage and on 3/4s' of an acre with an inground pool. I used to work in Electronics Manufacturing..which has all but dissappeared here in NJ.
So naturally some questions I have...
- Are there good manufacturing jobs in a high tech field in RTP?
- I have heard that sometimes employers will discriminate against "yankees" looking to be employed...so how prevalent is this practice?
- What kind of taxes could I expect for a similar type of home in the RTP area?
- people here in NJ are too caught up with themselves and thus are not friendly or outgoing to strangers. Can I expect things to be better in NC?
It seems many people are moving to your state,like they feel its a utopian world...I know that isnt exactly true. However coming from where I am it certainly does look that way.
With the sale of our home we expect to buy another down there and have enough cash leftover to live while we find work there in RTP area.
-So how good is the economic/employment environment? And could we find jobs once we get there? Or would it be better/smarter to line up employment before we go anywhere?...
Thankyou all for your responses to the newbie questions. Look forward to your responses
I would suggest you request that a mod move your thread to the Raleigh board - you are in the general NC section and that is why you aren't getting any responses.

The Raleigh area is chock full of transplanted yankees - which has it's pro's and con's, but you'd most likely feel very at home. Getting a job will be the toughest challenge in this economy. Best of luck though!

Old 08-21-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I would suggest you request that a mod move your thread to the Raleigh board - you are in the general NC section and that is why you aren't getting any responses.

The Raleigh area is chock full of transplanted yankees - which has it's pro's and con's, but you'd most likely feel very at home. Getting a job will be the toughest challenge in this economy. Best of luck though!
Oh no wonder Thanks for the heads up BTW the feeloing of home isnt that great...people here are stuck up in their own little world...so if thats what its lke in Raleigh then maybe Charlote is a better town to live and work...OK I will just repost in the respective forums Thanks again

Old 08-22-2009, 12:46 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
My answers in bold italics:

- Are there good manufacturing jobs in a high tech field in RTP? NO

- I have heard that sometimes employers will discriminate against "yankees" looking to be employed...so how prevalent is this practice? Ridiculous to think that at all.

- What kind of taxes could I expect for a similar type of home in the RTP area? Google "Wake County real estate taxes" or "Durham County real estate taxes" and find out.

- people here in NJ are too caught up with themselves and thus are not friendly or outgoing to strangers. Can I expect things to be better in NC? People live in their own little hemispheres but are generally friendly if you are friendly and not loud.

It is not utopia by any stretch of the imagination. There are trees, flowers, and no harsh winters; the real estate taxes are lower than most places. if those things are your only expectations, you will be satisfied.

-So how good is the economic/employment environment? NOT GOOD AT ALL.

And could we find jobs once we get there? MOST LIKELY NOT.

Or would it be better/smarter to line up employment before we go anywhere?... UNEQUIVOCALLY YES.

And don't complain about anything (such as no help!). NCers don't take kindly to complainers. Act grateful for every little thing, even if you don't really feel it. Positive, positive, positive. Happy, happy, happy! (I am NOT a native NCer, but Ah'm tellin' it likes Ah see it.)

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 08-22-2009 at 12:59 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 11:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Is that really $10,000 as like TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS a year? What is the value of the property--$4-6 million? IF you secure employment here, will you be able to sell your inherited estate?

Old 08-23-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
My answers in bold italics:

- Are there good manufacturing jobs in a high tech field in RTP? NO

- I have heard that sometimes employers will discriminate against "yankees" looking to be employed...so how prevalent is this practice? Ridiculous to think that at all.

- What kind of taxes could I expect for a similar type of home in the RTP area? Google "Wake County real estate taxes" or "Durham County real estate taxes" and find out.

- people here in NJ are too caught up with themselves and thus are not friendly or outgoing to strangers. Can I expect things to be better in NC? People live in their own little hemispheres but are generally friendly if you are friendly and not loud.

It is not utopia by any stretch of the imagination. There are trees, flowers, and no harsh winters; the real estate taxes are lower than most places. if those things are your only expectations, you will be satisfied.

-So how good is the economic/employment environment? NOT GOOD AT ALL.

And could we find jobs once we get there? MOST LIKELY NOT.

Or would it be better/smarter to line up employment before we go anywhere?... UNEQUIVOCALLY YES.

And don't complain about anything (such as no help!). NCers don't take kindly to complainers. Act grateful for every little thing, even if you don't really feel it. Positive, positive, positive. Happy, happy, happy! (I am NOT a native NCer, but Ah'm tellin' it likes Ah see it.)

I do appreciate your candor TYVM!

Old 08-23-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Is that really $10,000 as like TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS a year? What is the value of the property--$4-6 million? IF you secure employment here, will you be able to sell your inherited estate?
YES you read that correctly and the tax valuation on my house is $436000 no where near even 1 Million We expect to sell first before any relocation or job procurment. NJ has the highest property taxes in the nation

Old 08-23-2009, 06:25 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
And don't complain about anything (such as no help!). NCers don't take kindly to complainers. Act grateful for every little thing, even if you don't really feel it.
Indeed--it amazes me how many willl post a question here, and then bump the thread with a "Well, why hasn't anyone answered me?!?!?!" not even one day later--that is not only against the rules of City-Data but shows a certain kind of "impatient personality" that, frankly, we'd rather not have move here.

Sometimes the reason people don't answer your question is because they don't have an answer--badgering folks to answer you might be how things are done in NJ, but not in NC.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:39 PM

Well I apologize for having been a newbie who posted in the wrong section so make a federal case out of it.... I was already reminded of proper etiquette in a previous post so whos doing the badgering now?

Last edited by TwoWheelMan; 08-23-2009 at 08:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina