Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 08:24 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,616 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'd like to inquire from the locals about Time Warner cable (for tv and high speed internet). I've had very good success here with Comcast in Boston, so I have no reference points for Time Warner. I think a basic bundlofe tv and high speed is around $90/mo- it seems a little higher to me, it doesn't include any HD though. I need to get the details.

I'm actually asking because I'm seriously considering Dish Networks as they have a ton of HD programming (it would be a slam dunk had they been able to get the NFL sunday pass deal, but DirectTV has that) and they are very resonable (i.e., for all the HD programming and tons of channels is less than $40/mo

I'm wondering mostly about Time Warner high speed internet. I had a friend who moved from Boston to Atlanta, got Comcast, and had nothing but problems- I'm assuming because he moved to a new development and cabling work was happening all the time. I'm figuring I might be in the same bought.

I'm for the first time considering DSL as an option from BellSouth.

I'd pretty much a heavy net user (the nature of my business), I welcome and feedback on the stability of Time Warner, BellSouth, or Dish Networks.

Thank You!

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2006, 11:51 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Hello All,

I'd like to inquire from the locals about Time Warner cable (for tv and high speed internet). I've had very good success here with Comcast in Boston, so I have no reference points for Time Warner. I think a basic bundlofe tv and high speed is around $90/mo- it seems a little higher to me, it doesn't include any HD though. I need to get the details.

I'm actually asking because I'm seriously considering Dish Networks as they have a ton of HD programming (it would be a slam dunk had they been able to get the NFL sunday pass deal, but DirectTV has that) and they are very resonable (i.e., for all the HD programming and tons of channels is less than $40/mo

I'm wondering mostly about Time Warner high speed internet. I had a friend who moved from Boston to Atlanta, got Comcast, and had nothing but problems- I'm assuming because he moved to a new development and cabling work was happening all the time. I'm figuring I might be in the same bought.

I'd pretty much a heavy net user (the nature of my business), I welcome and feedback on the stability of Time Warner, BellSouth, or Dish Networks.

Thank You!

Mike
Not in NC, but I have used Dish and Direct and Direct is better. I wouldn't go back. Dish to me had poor picture quality to poor customer service.
Again as for DSL VS Cable. I wouldn't go back to cable for internet service. The quality of DSL is much better.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:10 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,655 times
estimate on Dish Networks site didnt turned out to be that great:

Estimated One Time Charges
DHA Activation Fee $49.99
HD-DVR receiver $199.99
One Time Charge Total: $249.98

Estimated Monthly Charges
DishHD Silver $59.99
Local Channels $5.00
DVR Service Fee: $5.98
Monthly Total: $70.97

The activation fee can be credited back with a 18 month commitment but the $199.99 for the DVR is a bummer

Old 08-20-2006, 12:20 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,655 times
And directv charges you $299 for each DVR yowza!

Old 08-20-2006, 12:22 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post

HD-DVR receiver $199.99

DishHD Silver $59.99
Local Channels $5.00

The activation fee can be credited back with a 18 month commitment but the $199.99 for the DVR is a bummer

This is what I did for the DVR. I went to EBay and got the new TIVO, it has wireless which uses my broadband wireless router. The person had a Best Buy warranty still in effect AND a life time subscription (no monthly fees) for $199! After I got it, I took it back to Best Buy got another no questions asked and now have a new DVR and no monthly fee.

Old 08-20-2006, 01:06 PM

336 posts, read 513,096 times
I use time warner for cable internet, but for TV I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 1996 and have no plan to ever go back to cable.

Old 08-20-2006, 01:25 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post

HD-DVR receiver $199.99

DishHD Silver $59.99
Local Channels $5.00

Hmm...I spoke to a rep last night and they said all that stuff was free. I guess the DVR piece didn't come up since I opted out of that...

Old 08-20-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
I use time warner for cable internet, but for TV I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 1996 and have no plan to ever go back to cable.
pretty much that's what I wanted to hear. Obviously I've been somewhat suspectible to the negative marketing by cable against satelitte. All I was thinking about is a passing cloud or rainy day messign with the picture quality.

DirectTV has the NFL pass which is really appealing. But Dish has a much broader selection of HD programmer. But based on Tornado's feedback on Dish, I'll have to think harder about it...

Thanks for the feedback so far- as always, very much appreciated!

Old 08-20-2006, 01:31 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,415 times
[quote=Miker2069;65549]Hello All,

We live in Ft. Lauderdale, but we have what they call a BellSouth bundle. We get cheaper DSL, (cheaper because we have the bundle) a discount on Direct TV, unlimited long distance (landline) and when we got it, a free modum. There are more things you could get.
Go to BellSouth.com and they show you their packages. Also, go to Direct tv's website. They always have deals and specials. I remember seeing an advertisement not too long ago about some deal.

We pay $108.00 per month for the bundle. (Direct TV is a separate charge) Comcast cable down here has gone up to almost 70 just for cable.

Also, after hurricane Wilma last year, we lost electric for 10 days. BellSouth did not charge us for the DSL for that time, and for the few days we lost phone service. Direct TV also credited us even though the problem was not with their dish. The people I know that had cable has to pay unless the actual cable went out. So they are good companies to work with.
Hope that helps

Old 08-20-2006, 02:20 PM

336 posts, read 513,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
All I was thinking about is a passing cloud or rainy day messign with the picture quality.
I have never had a problem with clouds or light rain, just very heavy rain. I have only noticed it out for about 10 minutes once during a bad storm since moving to Charlotte about 6 weeks ago. Sometimes it does suck if you like to watch weather updates during a storm, but it has not really bothered me that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina