U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,419 times

Advertisements

Hi !
thinking of relocating to NC, in the area of either clinton or goldsboro ... anyone here could let me know if they went through the same move ?
or any comment on living style, neiborhoods etc ?
thanks a lot !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 09:49 PM

983 posts, read 3,747,375 times
What do you want to know about Clinton??? My husband and I both have lived in the surrounding area our entire lives and know pretty much anything you'd want to know about Clinton. Do a search for "Clinton"....I posted alot of info sometime in the last year.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,419 times
thanks !! I have never lived in NC, only in NJ, NY and MA. We are thinking of Clinton as it seems to be right in between Raleigh and Jacksonville ...
Could you share with me how it is as a town ? is it more young professional or older crowed ? how is the job market ? etc. .... just trying to have a feel about the life style
thanks

Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 PM

4 posts, read 4,956 times
My question is more general. How does one handle out-of-state job searching? I am a degreed professional with up-to-date skills and verifiable work accomplishments, but I think my search strategy needs an overhaul. I'm finding that employers are not willing to entertain a relocatee. I've had at least three would-be interviews tank once they found out I was not local to the area. Initially, I tried to get around this by not mentioning that I was from out-of-state (used phone # local to the area), but logistically things got sticky and it proved too expensive to travel at the drop of a hat for a first round interview that may or may not lead to something. Now, I openly tell folks that I'm relocating to the area. I request phone interviews for the first round to see if there is a mutual fit, then I explain that I'm happy to travel if there is a sincere interest in moving forward. One or two have accommodated phone interviews, but others have outright said they did not want to be bothered with an out-of-state candidate. Am I missing something here? People relocate all the time, especially in today's job market. There is no city in the continental US that isn't within a rew hours reach by plane, car or railway. Would someone who has conducted a successful out-of-state job search kindly throw me a few pointers?

Second item: working with recruiters. Some prove helpful, others just grab your information and go. Any pointers on how best to work with recruiters would also be helpful.

Finally, regarding references. Two of the organizations I worked for have closed up shop. The other two have had a turn over in staff (I work in nonprofit sector where this type of thing is fairly common). Any pointers from other nonprofit types who have experienced this? I'd like to de-mystify this process and fairly quickly. Thanks!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:54 AM

10,562 posts, read 21,040,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron in the fire View Post
My question is more general. How does one handle out-of-state job searching? I am a degreed professional with up-to-date skills and verifiable work accomplishments, but I think my search strategy needs an overhaul. I'm finding that employers are not willing to entertain a relocatee. I've had at least three would-be interviews tank once they found out I was not local to the area. Initially, I tried to get around this by not mentioning that I was from out-of-state (used phone # local to the area), but logistically things got sticky and it proved too expensive to travel at the drop of a hat for a first round interview that may or may not lead to something. Now, I openly tell folks that I'm relocating to the area. I request phone interviews for the first round to see if there is a mutual fit, then I explain that I'm happy to travel if there is a sincere interest in moving forward. One or two have accommodated phone interviews, but others have outright said they did not want to be bothered with an out-of-state candidate. Am I missing something here? People relocate all the time, especially in today's job market. There is no city in the continental US that isn't within a rew hours reach by plane, car or railway. Would someone who has conducted a successful out-of-state job search kindly throw me a few pointers?
This is conjecture on my part, but this area in particular has been positively flooded with out-of-state applicants in the past 5 years or so, all wanting to move here, and that's in addition to a fairly high local unemployment rate--so it is a "hirer's market"--and it could be that they have enough local applications to deal with who are more readily available that they can afford to "nix" the out of state ones, unless one strikes them as especially worthy? Folks in the HR world are saying that every job here is getting hundreds of applications, and this may be one way to cull the piles (presuming they are getting enough qualified local people that they can cut off outsiders). Also, they may have been "burned" with out-of-state people who accept jobs, then waffle about moving, or whatever. After that happens a couple of times, I can see them being gun-shy about hiring a relocator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina