Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 01:50 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,898,826 times

Advertisements

I think no matter where you go it evens out, here i have huge property taxes $8000 a yr - and only pay about $90 every two yrs to reg my car, no other tax, sales tax is over 8, there, my taxes + taxes on car will probably be around $5000 or so as I am looking to spend $400 on a house, so what is the savings 2-3K, then add HOA dues (do not have that here) Water is higher there so very close, ultities are a little down...and my husband (keeping fingers crossed) will make a similar salary maybe a 10% drop, but since my taxes and if I take a mortage will be lower, that is even too...and as everyone has says, you get what you pay for, but here in NY, we really do not get much more for what we spend, I wish we did...

I also think people outside of NY just enjoy life more (IMO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2006, 02:01 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,925,764 times
The average North Carolinian pays around 10.5% of their total yearly income to state, county and city governments. In VA, it's 9.5%. In NY, it's 12.9% and in TN, it's 8.6%. The state of Maine is a whopping 13.5%.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:44 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,453,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boys
We actually went to Tennessee in April to check it out. Yes, the same days the deadly tornadoes hit. (I've never been so scared in my life! ). Anyway, I found that Tenn. is beautiful, absolutely. But I can't get past what I went through. Yes, the sales tax is over 9%, even on food. Ouch. But property taxes are rediculously low! So I think it all evens out a bit. I've checked into Virginia, but most of the areas I checked on were expensive! I couldn't come up with a reasonable area to live. But it is beautiful up there.
Yeah I was on that forum today and I saw your post. I thought what I wanted was expensive too. I'm not sure if I want to live close to DC with all this terrorist stuff.

You were there for the tornados? That was a sign for sure.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:07 PM

170 posts, read 564,991 times
You know the strangest thing, is we were only in Nashville area for 1 day! And that was the day they hit. So we headed to E.Tenn. for a week, and the day we were to drive back through Nashville, that was the 2nd round that hit. I tell you, I think it was a sign to keep looking. So here I am in NC! Oh, I really hope they don't follow me here!

Old 07-15-2006, 11:18 PM

Quote:
You know the strangest thing, is we were only in Nashville area for 1 day! And that was the day they hit. So we headed to E.Tenn. for a week, and the day we were to drive back through Nashville, that was the 2nd round that hit. I tell you, I think it was a sign to keep looking. So here I am in NC! Oh, I really hope they don't follow me here!
Oh my gosh that is too funny. I would never go back there.

Oh that's right you haven't been to NC yet

Oh that scares me. I hope you don't bring them there. I'll wait here and see since you are going before me. LOL

Although I am going to the beach August 8th and you will be there then.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:51 PM

I will be there then, I'll just be getting there. And you know what? I'm going to be your neighbor and every time I hear thunder, I'll be a knockin! LOL

Old 07-16-2006, 12:20 AM

Quote:
I will be there then, I'll just be getting there. And you know what? I'm going to be your neighbor and every time I hear thunder, I'll be a knockin! LOL

Have you logged on to the Charlotte Observer?

I was reading about the storms tonight. I guess they had 3 main storms. The strongest was the that hit Mooresville and Huntersville. I guess it knocked some trees down. I don't think they lost power but the one in York knocked the power lines down.

You can go on read it.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:36 AM

Oh no! I'll go read it now. I think I can handle thunderstorms, I mean, as long as you're indoors away from windows, you should be safe, right? What I'm terrified of is that they will spawn tornadoes. That's what's going to be hard for me to get over.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:41 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,777,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
The average North Carolinian pays around 10.5% of their total yearly income to state, county and city governments. In VA, it's 9.5%. In NY, it's 12.9% and in TN, it's 8.6%. The state of Maine is a whopping 13.5%.
That's interesting! Where do you get this info? What do you get for FL? Thanks!

Old 07-16-2006, 08:50 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,925,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum
That's interesting! Where do you get this info? What do you get for FL? Thanks!
Florida was ranked 39th. Tax burden was 9.7% of total income.

The data came from the U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina