Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:55 PM

4 posts, read 30,359 times

Advertisements

What are the gun laws for North Carolina or where could I find out more about them? Do you need to apply for a permit or is there a 10 day waiting period?

Any info is helpful.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 03:59 PM

207 posts, read 1,088,830 times
Go here to read about the laws

http://www.packing.org/state/north_carolina/ (broken link)

Old 04-30-2007, 04:18 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-X View Post
Go here to read about the laws

http://www.packing.org/state/north_carolina/ (broken link)
That's Mark Solomon's web site The guy that made a "movie" with Paris whatsername?

Old 04-30-2007, 05:47 PM

56 posts, read 414,416 times
If you are buying a long gun (Shotgun or rifle) the you do the NICS check. That is the instant background check. You pass the check and you leave with your gun right then. If you are buying a handgun you need to go to your local sherrifs office and fill out the paper work to get your pistol permits. Most sherifs will only issue 5 at a time at a cost of $5 per each permit. You usally have to wait about a week before your background check comes back and your permits are printed out. Another option is to get your conceled carry licsence. Which is valid for five years. With this you can buy any firearm right then without doing anymore background checks. You will need to go through a training course to get you CCW. Go here for more info www.pdhsc.com .

Brian Craig
www.pissoncary.com

Old 04-30-2007, 10:01 PM

169 posts, read 778,398 times
I highly recommend the PDHSC concealed carry course-- very well-done and interesting.

CCW permits here can be used in something like 38 other states.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 21,990 times
Here is a link to a publication put out by the Attorney General's Office that details all of the gun laws in the state:

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Old 05-05-2007, 09:30 PM

71 posts, read 79,265 times
About the pistol purchasing permit... if you have your NC concealed carry license, you do not need a pistol purchase permit. So then you just go through the regular NICS check process.

This is important because sheriffs have a LOT of latitude in how they handle pistol purchase permits. But they have very little latitude in denying CCW permit to someone who is qualified according to state law. It avoids the whole "mother may I" mess.

North Carolina has great constitutional protection of gun rights but the state assembly has ignored it for years.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:11 AM

403 posts, read 1,563,658 times
Default tranfer of gun permits

I have a concealed weapons permit, here in Washington State. Does anyone know if I can transfer over to NC? Or is that a whole new process?

Old 07-23-2007, 01:04 AM

259 posts, read 1,182,035 times
I've been told as a firearm owner I have to register my firearms, at a courthouse I believe. Otherwise it is unlawful possesion somehow. I've never heard of this, and the link provided above didn't seem to speak directly to it. Anybody shed some light?
It sounds kind of strange, and worries me. Not that I've committed a crime with any of my weapons, or have any knowledge of them being stolen or having a sordid past. But I can't prove how I came to own them. They were both gifts from my father, and quite honestly he couldnt prove where he got them either because he quires most of his through horse-trades and whatnot. Someone led me to believe I could not sell any of my firearms in a legitimate fashion due to my lack of proof of purchase.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:32 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
A license or permit must be obtained to purchase, sell, give away, transfer, inherit, or receive a handgun by applying to the county sheriff in which the purchase is to be made or where the receiver resides. A purchase permit is good for five years from the date of issue. Antique firearms are excepted.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NCSL.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina