U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking positive comments about Hickory, pros of living in Hickory, reasonable weather, not overcrowded, nice parks, family friendly area, forty minutes from Charlotte

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 03:30 PM

185 posts, read 700,715 times

Advertisements

For the residents or those nearby, please tell me some things you like about Hickory.......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 04:11 PM

1,164 posts, read 3,391,435 times
You can check my profile and read my raves about the local weather and the Grace Chapel area of Caldwell County.
I also like the fact that it is one hour from the Charlotte Airport and 11/2 hours from the one in Greensboro.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:07 PM

73 posts, read 277,381 times
Default From Hickory

Hello,
There are many thing's I like about Hickory. The weather is seasonable. Our city is not over populated, and the traffic is not a nightmare as it is in larger cities. We have nice park's, a baseball stadium, a race track, places to take children to enjoy. Most people in Hickory are friendly, and helpful. I am a Hickory native, I do enjoy visiting other cities, but I'm alway's glad to get back home. Medium size city that has lot's of rural area's surrounding it. Fourty minutes to Charlotte, and fourty minutes to the Blue Ridge Mountain's. We are just an All American City.
CATHY

Old 05-02-2007, 02:10 PM

185 posts, read 700,715 times
Default Thanks Hapalee and Quincy for your input

I will check out your profile Hapalee. Sounds like a great place. I'll be heading north soon for a family visit and I'm thinking of stopping over. Best to you.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:38 PM

1,164 posts, read 3,391,435 times
Ya know? All and all it is a great place. We went for a sunset motorcycle ride last night and wound up west of Hickory at Lake Rhodhiss as the moon came up full. What a nice evening.
If, after checking out all my posts about Hickory, you have any questions feel free to drop me a PM.
Hap

Old 05-04-2007, 01:38 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,792,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carat98 View Post
For the residents or those nearby, please tell me some things you like about Hickory.......
Its away from huge metro areas like Charlotte or Raleigh. Most people living there are native to the area.

The city is growing, but at a much more controlled pace than almost any other growing city in NC.

Everything you need is there. Shopping, eating, entertainment is there. Hickory has a small downtown area, and the main area of downtown is known as "Union Square" with locally owned small shops.

Hickory has a mall, Valley Hills Mall, AAA Baseball team - Hickory Crawdads, Hickory Motor Speedway.

Quick drive on Interstate 40 to the mountains, or head east to the coast. There are also quite few small surrounding towns as well.

The city seems to becoming more of an interest to people, which is good. Hickory is not a bedroom community of any other city, and does not rely on other cities for its existence (like Huntersville, Mooresville, rely on Charlotte).
You also have quite a few nearby lakes, Lake Hickory, Lake Rhodhiss. All around a great area. Ofcourse it has its drawbacks like any other place, but the good outweighs the bad.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 12,003 times
Hickory is also home to the very prestigious, well known, private liberal arts college, Lenoir-Rhyne College.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:20 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,912,280 times
My husband has mentioned to relocate to hickory, and it seems like a nice place to be. The question I am having is, where exactly do people work in hickory? My husband is in the restaurant industry (barmanager/ bartender), and his concern is finding a job if we move there. Any input on this is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-12-2007, 08:41 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,533,894 times
It's a nice, self-contained small metro. Very pretty with nice weather. Only an hour from Charlotte, Asheville, and Winston Salem.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:21 PM

55 posts, read 148,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
My husband has mentioned to relocate to hickory, and it seems like a nice place to be. The question I am having is, where exactly do people work in hickory? My husband is in the restaurant industry (barmanager/ bartender), and his concern is finding a job if we move there. Any input on this is greatly appreciated!
To be honest, the job market in that part of the state has been weak. However, with so much increasing interest in Hickory for out-of-staters, that could change things. My guess is that the hospitality industry would stay strong. People come to Hickory from other nearby towns to shop and eat. One thing you want to keep in mind in that area are the liquor laws, as they vary from county to county. Some areas are dryer than others.

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina