Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:01 AM

5 posts, read 5,338 times

Advertisements

So my girlfriend and I want a little change in our lives. We've lived in central NY all our lives and quite frankly are sick of winters. Our entire families are up here so we didn't want to go too far south. We decided a nice place would be NC because it would get us away from the nasty winters of up north, but also wouldn't be too far from home. Plus i'm a huge UNC fan!!!

Now the question is, where in NC to move? We are up for just about anywhere at this point. I have been reading these forums for a week now. My initial searching landed me around Charlotte, (Matthews) Or somewhere in Union county. but the past few days I have heard good things about the so called 'Triangle' area.

It'll be another year before we move so at this stage in the game, I'm more focused on narrowing down which larger city should we move closest to? Any suggestions other than charlotte/raleigh area would be great too.

i'm in education so that's also a factor for the move because the job market for education is scarce in NY. i'm a 1:1 aide right now which would be great to get into once i'm down there. i'll also probably transfer to an applebees because ive served there for 5 years now.

Once i get the city narrowed down then i'll focus on which suburb to look for.

So any insight on the big cities would be great

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:24 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weakdog85 View Post
i'm in education so that's also a factor for the move because the job market for education is scarce in NY. i'm a 1:1 aide right now which would be great to get into once i'm down there. i'll also probably transfer to an applebees because ive served there for 5 years now.
Thanks
Will Applebees transfer you, or will you have to apply for a new job?

I don't know how bad the education situation is in NY, but NC most likely isn't the place to find one this year or next. How about Virginia? A little closer to family, and more job opportunities.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:02 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
but NC most likely isn't the place to find one this year or next. How about Virginia?
The latest budget in NC cut many teaching positions, so there will be experience teachers seeking jobs here. I suggest focusing on finding the best job possibilities for both of you.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:10 AM

well this is not a permanent thing by any means right away. I understand that coming right from college I may need to do the aide/substitute thing for quite a while before I land something permanent. And yes applebees will transfer us so at least we'll have that. We just figured if we are going to continue serving for a while and do the aide/sub thing, then why not do it somewhere that makes us more happy. I'm a car guy and a motorcycle rider so having nicer weather longer will definitely make me happy. And the sunshine alone will make my g/f happy.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:52 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
There any many places throughout the US that offer nice weather compared to NY. I highly suggestion you go where you can get a job, even if it is a short term until you've gained enough experience to be competitive for a job in NC. The state has done a great job at cutting teachers while increasing class size. If you can land a job here, that's fantastic - but, your degree and side gig serving won't do you a lick of good if you can't gain significant professional experience on your resume.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:37 AM

well again, this move isn't in search for a full time job. this is more of just a life change for my g/f and I. I'm not worried about finding an entry aide/sub job in the district i'll be living. Unless i'm wrong but even with the bad job market in schools up here they are ALWAYS looking for substitutes. So can we please not focus so much on us finding full time jobs and help me out in narrowing down which city would be the best fit for a young couple looking for the best up and coming place in NC with plenty to do.

I hear the triangle area is the most progressive but there isn't a lot to do in Raleigh and Charlotte is happening. Thoughts??

Old 08-09-2011, 10:53 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
I hear the triangle area is the most progressive but there isn't a lot to do in Raleigh and Charlotte is happening. Thoughts??
Look for posts by "Francois" on what's happening in Raleigh. He knows a lot about Raleigh and likes it.

Obviously, Charlotte is larger, and has major league sports teams. There are lakes and outdoor recreation opportunities in both areas, but Raleigh is closer to the ocean. Raleigh and the Triangle is probably more "collegiate", but it depends on what you are looking for. If you sharpen your focus on what you want to do, it wll help you decide.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:19 AM

you know i forgot about the sports teams in Charlotte. That's definitely something I would enjoy doing. thanks

Old 08-09-2011, 11:48 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
you know i forgot about the sports teams in Charlotte. That's definitely something I would enjoy doing. thanks
Charlotte has football and basketball and will have lacrosse starting next year. It also has minor league hockey. Raleigh has NHL hockey. Both areas have minor league baseball.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:31 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
So can we please not focus so much on us finding full time jobs and help me out in narrowing down which city would be the best fit for a young couple looking for the best up and coming place in NC with plenty to do.
Many places in NC (as well as other states) are great for young couples. There is no ONE "best place", because everybody has different preferences. And, since there are many places that fit the bill, you might as well try for somewhere with a better job market over somewhere without, no?

Quote:
Sounds like you've already made up your mind then. But, different people have different definitions of "happening". If you have it narrowed down to two areas, you should visit both and decide which fits YOUR criteria better. There is no "one" "best place". You might find that what suits you isn't in either Raleigh OR Charlotte--but you'll find that out better by seeing them yourself. It's not as if they are the only two cities in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina