Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 11,839 times

Advertisements

We want to be near some major cities, but not exactly in it. This way we can have more property and not the chaos cities can bring.

But this is such a broad search.

We need ideas of what areas are good, where the money will go far for realestate, and there are things to do, stores near by.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 12:37 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,925,764 times
What region of NC do you want to live in: Mountains, Piedmont or Coastal Plains?

Last edited by mm34b; 06-25-2007 at 01:11 PM..

Old 06-25-2007, 12:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,287,553 times
also how far from a major city are you willing to be.
Davidson county and Randolph county are good central counties within this state that you can get a good size home and yard but not to far drive to any of the cities mention above For instance Lexington in Davidson county is 20 minutes to winston, 30 to greensboro hour half to raliegh and hour to charlotte. However these are areas that are great for raising a family not so much for someone who is single.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:46 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,352,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
What region of NC you want to live in: Mountains, Piedmont or Coastal Plains?
And how much do you have to spend?

Old 06-25-2007, 01:27 PM

72 posts, read 313,257 times
Clemmons, Lewisville, and Eastern Davie County all within 10-20 minutes of downtown Winston-Salem. This area was tops on my list when I choose to relocate here, best decision I have made.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:43 PM

219 posts, read 850,641 times
Judy and I will be moving (when we sell).
We have a deposit on a place in Shallotte NC.
We have vacationed for years along the SC/NC border.
During those vacations we put A LOT of miles on the rental car. We visited as many places as possible and TALKED to a LOT of local folks.
Being retired puts another look on relocating but you have to (I feel) NOT just drive through a town or city or county.
We settled on the Calabash/Shallotte area for many many reasons.
The areas are small town but not too far from a larger city. Wilmington is about 45/50 miles away. Just far enough.
Shallotte is also a town with as many amenities as is necessary for day to day living. And even during visitor season is not as insane as say Myrtle etc.
Of course, in the end, as with everything else in life............if does come down to how much you have to spend and what you will have in your pocket at the end of the month.
As I said.........you have to do not only research but really VISIT towns and cities to discover what suits you.
I think you will KNOW WHEN IT HITS YOU.
When we found the little place in Shallotte (after viewing and visiting a ton of homes) Judy walked into the house looked around and said: "THIS IS IT".
I did have a say. Judy said I could have the garage.
Best of luck
Dennis / Woodlynne NJ (not for long)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina