Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2009, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,982 times

Advertisements

This question may come across as an odd one, so allow me to clarify... who exactly owns small, insignificant areas in any state, such as Vander, NC? Would it be possible to claim or purchase any bit of land and claim it as some manner of territory of your own? Who gets to decide? Before you go slamming me with accusations of idiocy, note that I am considerably more open-minded than many others I have come across in this bible belt state, and I have never particularly cared for politics.

Vander is (legally I would suppose), a "census designated place", which from my understanding is statistically smaller than a village. It consists of less than four square miles of territory and has a current population of less than 1,500.

I've been trapped in Vander for much longer than I would have liked. Seeing as there's no apparent escape, I've been formulating various ideas. Call them delusions of grandeur if you like, but this one's peaked my curiosity. I doubt that I could come across the funds to purchase this nowhere land, considering that my current financial status is less than poor. What even gives one the right to claim any part of the Earth as their own? I want to be free, I suppose; I don't agree with the limited mindsets of anyone around here. I want to be completely unaffiliated with everything, down to my desire to be a citizen of nothing; otherwise, I would like to change as much as possible for the better.

If anyone has anything relevant to add to this discussion, feel free to do so. I'm keeping my eye on this thread. I came across this forum searching for more information about Vander. I have something more important to attend to right now; it's distracting my thoughts. I'll be honest when I say you may not get far in your search for me (as if anyone cares, though not entirely impossible considering I revealed my location of Vander, NC); I'm giving a heads up to everyone here that the email address is fake and to any moderators or administrators here that the IP address is fake (just to let you know I'm a completely honest individual). I apologize for any syntax issues in this above post; once again, my thoughts are presently distracted...

Old 09-12-2009, 07:01 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
Humans have never had the right to land, they have had to take it by getting there first, or getting rid of those who had gotten there before them. Wars have always been about territory. However once one side lives, they have to have some system to maintain control until someone else shows up with bigger weapons to take it from them.

In NC it went as follows: The English came to North America, drove the Natives and other European countries, namely the French and Spanish, from the land and established the Crown as owner of all of the land as established in English law at the time. From that basis the land was further doled out in the colonies based and later when the colonists rebelled and tossed out the English, again at the point of a gun, ownership continued via the state and USA government.

From a more practical point of view, land ownership in NC is granted by local municipal government which in turn derives it's authority form the NC State government which is sovereign over NC. The USA is fairly unique as it shares sovereignty with the state governments that make it up. If Vander is not a municipality in itself then it's residents are no doubt part of one of the 100 county governments that make up NC.

The census designation does not have any bearing on this. The US census has only one role in the Constitution. That is to provide a count of the people every 10 years so that federal power can be apportioned amongst the states relative to each other. However because this is such a great undertaking it's facilities are used for many other things.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:21 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Random Lunatic View Post
This question may come across as an odd one, so allow me to clarify... who exactly owns small, insignificant areas in any state, such as Vander, NC? Would it be possible to claim or purchase any bit of land and claim it as some manner of territory of your own? Who gets to decide? Before you go slamming me with accusations of idiocy, note that I am considerably more open-minded than many others I have come across in this bible belt state, and I have never particularly cared for politics.

Vander is (legally I would suppose), a "census designated place", which from my understanding is statistically smaller than a village. It consists of less than four square miles of territory and has a current population of less than 1,500.

I've been trapped in Vander for much longer than I would have liked. Seeing as there's no apparent escape, I've been formulating various ideas. Call them delusions of grandeur if you like, but this one's peaked my curiosity. I doubt that I could come across the funds to purchase this nowhere land, considering that my current financial status is less than poor. What even gives one the right to claim any part of the Earth as their own? I want to be free, I suppose; I don't agree with the limited mindsets of anyone around here. I want to be completely unaffiliated with everything, down to my desire to be a citizen of nothing; otherwise, I would like to change as much as possible for the better.

If anyone has anything relevant to add to this discussion, feel free to do so. I'm keeping my eye on this thread. I came across this forum searching for more information about Vander. I have something more important to attend to right now; it's distracting my thoughts. I'll be honest when I say you may not get far in your search for me (as if anyone cares, though not entirely impossible considering I revealed my location of Vander, NC); I'm giving a heads up to everyone here that the email address is fake and to any moderators or administrators here that the IP address is fake (just to let you know I'm a completely honest individual). I apologize for any syntax issues in this above post; once again, my thoughts are presently distracted...
The US government is the largest landowner in the country. Anything not already owned by an individual(s) is owned by native tribes or the government.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:19 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,683 times
Just curious...what's wrong with Vander? I'm very familiar with the area, and my daughter goes to school just down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina