Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 01:23 PM

171 posts, read 270,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
It's too bad. This decision won't help North Carolina's reputation as a go-to sanctuary state for people here illegally.

Some towns could really use any living species, even snakes, to use them as sanctuaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 12:36 AM

27 posts, read 71,126 times
I cannot believe the ignorance and intolerance of people posting on this thread. Just because "Illegals" are admitted into colleges does not take away the space for Americans to attend school. For those people who are against, how many people have actually applied to colleges and got back a denial letter because an illegal was accepted in your space instead? It is ridiculous. We are so protective of our educational system that we are being blinded by it. I don't know about anyone, but I would rather live in a country of educated legal and illegal people than one where those looking for a better life are being rejected. For those who are against, has anyone actually taken the time to figure out the immigration process to becoming legal?? It is very a long and expensive process. 8 out of 10 foreigners versus maybe 4 out of 10 Americans I meet want to go to college. It is a shame that legals don't take advantage of the system and educate themselves. In this country, one does not have to be rich to be able to attend college. There are school loans and financial aid. Yes, the economy is bad right now, but it is not the fault of the illegals. Instead of complaining, maybe displaced workers should take advantage and go back to school to sharpen their skills or enter a different field.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:28 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,978,680 times
So you want to ban people from college because they broke the law by entering the country illegally? That makes no sense. Why not then exclude people who have broken any law? Time to rid college of all jaywalkers.

There are many ways to go from being an illegal immigrant to a legal immigrant and getting an education factors into that. Who knows, maybe they will meet their college sweetheart and get a greencard that way!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:00 AM

499 posts, read 1,525,042 times
Default It happened already....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
So you want to ban people from college because they broke the law by entering the country illegally? That makes no sense. Why not then exclude people who have broken any law?

Wilkes college tells woman she must go (http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/sep/02/wilkes-college-tells-woman-she-must-go/ - broken link)

American citizens being denied right to go to public schools to better themselves.....

Old 09-21-2009, 04:38 PM

27 posts, read 71,126 times
Are you kidding me?? You are comparing illegals to sex offenders?? It's like comparing oranges to apples...two completely different situations. Think SMART people.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:32 PM

Default You missed my point....totally.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedneighbor09 View Post
Are you kidding me?? You are comparing illegals to sex offenders?? It's like comparing oranges to apples...two completely different situations. Think SMART people.
Denying a natural born US citizen the right to obtain a higher education due to past criminal convictions is wrong and probably will eventually be shot down as unconstitutional.

What do we know of past criminal convictions of an illegal immigrant???

Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 PM

72 posts, read 196,221 times
I think this is more of an economic then moral choice right now, though it may become a moral dilemma once there are identifiable problems with availability, or the inevitable "rights creep" that comes along with making such changes. i.e. we gave them A, so they also will need B to get A, then C to make A&B possible etc etc.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:42 PM

72 posts, read 196,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
Denying a natural born US citizen the right to obtain a higher education due to past criminal convictions is wrong and probably will eventually be shot down as unconstitutional.

What do we know of past criminal convictions of an illegal immigrant???
You have a right to higher education you say? What corresponding responsibility do you have to maintain in order to earn it, how about not being a sex offender, case closed.

Last edited by Xdeth; 09-21-2009 at 10:28 PM..

Old 09-21-2009, 11:31 PM

Default Another one...typical...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
You have a right to higher education you say? What corresponding responsibility do you have to maintain in order to earn it, how about not being a sex offender, case closed.
And where in the U.S. Constitution or any state constitution does it specify that the right to pursue an education bestowed upon the citizen is forfeited due to the classification of "registered sex offender"?

Old 09-21-2009, 11:38 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,721,275 times
Just a thought, but if they aren't eligible for financial aid and they're paying out-of-state tuition, other than the principle of not wanting to support illegal immigrants is there any harm to this? Economically, how is it bad for the colleges? As a future community college instructor, part of me doesn't mind who I teach so long as they are paying for it and it helps create more jobs in the college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina