Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 07:26 PM

41 posts, read 97,675 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I will be relocating to Troy in the future.We will be there at least two yrs while he attends Gunsmithing school. What is there to do other than the obvious outdoor activities? I know a few cities are within an hours drive,but what is closer? Movie theaters? Nightclubs? Restaurants?Shopping?Flea Market? Does this area have Art shows?Car Shows? Any Dog Parks? We are looking forward to the change in scenery. Coming from Central FL we know things will be quite different. How often do you get snow? We were in Lincoln County last winter when it snowed. It was nice. Cold but not as cold as I expected.Really comfy. Any transplants have any advice for us? I hope outsiders are welcome.Have checked out the area on-line, seems beautiful. We will be spending a week or so in the area as soon as I can arrange a vac. week from work.We have a Choc Lab, any advice on pet friendly lodging? What about the Hunting? Good there? Whitetail, of course. Any processors in the area? What a rifle range or gun club? Is there a public range in the forest? There is one here in Ocala but it seems to attract weirdos. Speaking of..... Do the "Rainbow People" invade the area for extended periods of time? Any info you can give us will be helpful. Oh yeah, good Vet in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 03:43 AM

101 posts, read 357,108 times
Have you ever been to Troy??

Old 09-27-2009, 06:16 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
It is the quintessential SMALL town. COming into Troy from the east there are some really nice houses along NC 24 / 27. I was there on a Sunday so nothing was moving. Troy appeared to be very conservative based on the signage and flagpoles...

Uwharrie is a great area for horse riding and off road trails!!

I would think that the chances of running into weirdos (those pesty RAINBOW folks might NEVER be seen alive in a place like Troy) are ZERO..but then again, doesn't it depend on the definition of who / what is weird?

There may have been a theater that shows second or third run movies? Maybe a few antique shoppes and an independent artist / potter in the downtown area?
There may be a few resturants in town as well..but realize that Troy will definately be DIFFERENT from almost anything in Florida.

You will probably have to drive into Charlotte area or Greensboro for real entertainment / arts.

As for dog trails...you will probably just have to walk out your back door and you will be in the midst of vast wilderness--perfect for poochie to meet up with a bit of wildlife.. and hunting can probably be done while sitting on the back (or even front) porch! The local gun range might be found in your back yard as well?

As for processors (deer I assume and not the legal ones) I would think that in Troy it is all self-serve when it comes to slice-n-dicing deer...I think I did see quite a few shingles hung for taxidermists.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 09-27-2009 at 06:36 AM..

Old 09-27-2009, 10:08 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Asheboro is the closest town of any size and has restaurants, big box shopping, etc. Probably movie theaters. For anything you can't find in Asheboro, or locally in Troy, Greensboro is only 20-30 minutes north of Asheboro. There are quite a few pottery festivals in the Seagrove area, and there's a huge outdoors antiques show in Liberty, I think, twice a year. The NC Zoo, a terrific natural habitat zoo just outside Asheboro, has all kinds of special programs throughout the year.

As for hunting, gun clubs, and other like resources, I'm sure the people connected to the gunsmithing program can help you.

Snow is infrequent, and the weather will be slightly more moderate than Lincoln County.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:57 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,350,760 times
There is Flintrock Valley Shooting Range in the forest off of highway 109.
Traveling 109 from there , go 10 miles to the bridge over the Uwharrie River. Upon crossing , make the first left at the brown sign and look for a map. If one can't be found , keep on 109 until you reach the Outpost which will supply you with one.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:18 AM

41 posts, read 97,675 times
Cool Running from Orlando

Key West weird--good. San Quentin weird--Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you crossed paths with the Rainbow People? And No,we haven't been to Troy yet. Hope to get a week of in the near future to check it out. What about Asheboro? What about a good Vet for our Chocolate child? Got an Olive Garden close?

What about crime? I have a rosary hanging in my van so that it won't get broken into at work.

Any good farmers markets with fresh locally grown veggies? Eggs?

Has anyone attended the Gunsmithing course at the local college?Any opinions?

What about the state income tax?I hear you also have to pay taxes on vehicles and toys (ATV Boat RV) how bad is that?

Old 09-28-2009, 07:11 AM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Southern Pines area is nice.

North Carolina Golf Resorts - Pinehurst, Southern Pines and Aberdeen area

HomegrownHandmade - Trail Map

Old 09-28-2009, 02:23 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCNewbietoo View Post
Key West weird--good. San Quentin weird--Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you crossed paths with the Rainbow People? ?
I had an encounter with the Children of the Rainbow in Kansas AND Colorado...

Quote:
And No,we haven't been to Troy yet. Hope to get a week of in the near future to check it out. What about Asheboro? What about a good Vet for our Chocolate child? Got an Olive Garden close?

What about crime? I have a rosary hanging in my van so that it won't get broken into at work.

Any good farmers markets with fresh locally grown veggies? Eggs?

Has anyone attended the Gunsmithing course at the local college?Any opinions??
It is TROY, not Greensboro.

Went to Asheboro this weekend...I would pick Troy...

Quote:
What about the state income tax?I hear you also have to pay taxes on vehicles and toys (ATV Boat RV) how bad is that?
Welcome to what some have called TAX-OLINA!!

Old 09-29-2009, 08:33 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Got an Olive Garden close?
According to the Olive Garden site the closest to zip 27371 is 3000 HIGH POINT ROAD GREENSBORO NC 27403
Estimated Time: 1 h 2 m 18 s Total Distance: 50.32 miles

Old 10-02-2009, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,245 times
We have lived in Troy for 25 yrs. It is a SMALL town, no theatres, no malls, just a few restaurants. However there is Pinehurst/Southern Pines less than 40 min away Olive Garden, Outback, Bonefish Grill and many others. (Its a HUGE golf area)
Albemarle is 20 mins west, they have a movie theatre ( and a great drive in) and a few good local restaraunts.
Greensboro is an hour north and Charlotte ( biggest city in the state) is a little over an hour southwest. Asheboro is 30 mins north, Raleigh is 1 1/2 hrs east.
You are 3 hours from the beach and 3 hours from the coast.
You are in the middle of nowhere but the middle of everywhere!
It is beautiful here, crime rate is pretty low. Biggest thing to come to the county in the last 25 yrs was Wal Mart if that tells you anything.

Oh and one of my coworkers husband is the head of the gunsmithing dept
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina