U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:20 PM

717 posts, read 2,662,792 times

Advertisements

If you could live anywhere in North Carolina that you wanted to, where would you CHOOSE to live and why would you choose that location? North Carolina is such a beautiful state with so much diversity--I am interested in knowing what things draw people to a choice location here. Thanks for your input!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 10:29 PM
NCN

21,148 posts, read 23,697,466 times
If I could live anywhere I choose in North Carolina, my choice would be somewhere on top of a mountain in Ashe County. The air is fresh, it has very few bugs like most of the rest of the state because the weather gets cold enough in Winter to kill the bugs. The Summer temperature rarely gets past 80 degrees. The only drawback would be the medical care available in the area. I think that is getting better with so many people moving in.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:09 AM

22,452 posts, read 32,235,462 times
My choice, if I could afford it, would be Maggie Valley, most beautiful place in the world to me and close to the BRP.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:06 AM

351 posts, read 1,015,277 times
Raleigh: I'm lucky enough to live where I would choose. Why Raleigh: Because it has so much to offer in so many different ways.

http://www.visitraleigh.com/media/about_raleigh/accolades (broken link)

Old 10-05-2009, 09:15 AM

616 posts, read 1,644,632 times
Macon County, around Franklin. Near the Appalachian Trail, Wayah Bald, Standing Indian, Little Tennessee River, surrounded by Nantahala Forest. Franklin is a thoughtful small town and I know many nice people there. We couldn't stay because we couldn't find a way to support ourselves. Pay scales are out of whack with the cost of living, not unusual for western North Carolina. DH and I have gone back to school to equip ourselves with skills / degrees that will make it possible for us to live near there in several years.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:58 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,042,577 times
I love Hillsborough. I may be partial since I grew up in the area, but I love the small historic downtown and how rural much of it is. It's quiet and little traffic with the convenience of Durham and Chapel Hill right there, with Raleigh not too much further. I’d love to buy several acres out on the rolling hills and plenty of trees too, to build our dream house. I love the mountains and going to the beach, but both are just too isolated for me. Maybe one day when I'm old and don't mind being so far away from things I can relocate to the mountains. I'm sure by then there will be plenty up there though! In the meantime I will just visit when I can.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:30 AM

6,628 posts, read 11,034,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
If you could live anywhere in North Carolina that you wanted to, where would you CHOOSE to live and why would you choose that location?
Well, being that Charlotte is the ONLY reason why I am in this state, I'd have to say Charlotte. I have visited other NC towns, but in all honesty my favorite destinations are all outside of NC (ie, New Orleans, DC, VA Beach, Myrtle, Atlanta etc). Don't get me wrong. NC has MANY interesting places. However, when the largest tourist attraction in a state is a suburban mall located near that state's largest city, something is wrong.

Also, I'd much rather spend a day at Carowinds than pretty much any other NC destination. Come to think about it, 70% of Carowinds is in SC. I guess that would make Carowinds yet another out-of-state destination of mine that I enjoy.

Now that I have had my little rant, I'd have to say that I would probably like to live in Winston-Salem (if Charlotte did not exist). Winston feels like a smaller version of Charlotte IMO.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-05-2009 at 10:45 AM..

Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,644,740 times
My very own log home in the mountains with enough woods for hunting and a trout stream running though the property.

Of course I could never get my wife to live in the woods or a log home.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:13 PM

21,093 posts, read 26,488,962 times
If we had the $$ we would be on the Crystal Coast on the water with a nice boat..realistically based on our income we would love to be in the mountains--just about anywhere...

Old 10-05-2009, 05:49 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,731,042 times
Wilmington-Wrightsville Beach area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina