Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 11:57 AM

63 posts, read 210,553 times

Advertisements

LOL Then they'll need something to get rid of the flies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 12:55 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,798,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick
So we boiled water and put them down the mounds at the same time. Seems to work as long as you pour enough down there to burn/drown the suckers. We do it once a year but the mounds always pop up in a different area. So hopefully that means the others ones are totally detroyed. Just another option.
That's what we did at my mom's house, she had a couple of regular red ant hills. Just boiled a couple pots of water and poured it right down the hill. Never saw them again. Gives the grass a brown spot, but much better than having ants.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:27 PM

4 posts, read 17,096 times
Default Unidentified Aggressive Ant in Forsyth County

Hi. I live in Walkertown near Kernersville, and last summer I found a trail of an ant I've never seen before. It looks like a hybrid between a fire ant and a black ant, with the rear black and the front dark, dark red or brown. When I came upon these ants they were trailing through my yard into my neighbors and back. I followed the trail for a couple of feet when all of the sudden these ants started jumping onto my shoes! I do mean literally jump, not running. They are extremely aggressive and followed me several feet if I started to move away ... and since I got so scared by them and their nest looked to be so huge (20+ holes within a 4-6 foot circle) I doused them with lighter fluid and set it on fire. (Probably a dumb thing to do, I didn't know what else!)
That did not work so I tried flooding them out ... a week later they had apparently disappeared but I am terrified of this ant! Can anyone please give me any information on this strange ant? I've lived here my entire life and have NEVER seen anything like it. Thank you for any help.

-L

Last edited by Maveou; 05-16-2007 at 05:37 PM..

Old 05-16-2007, 06:05 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,925,764 times
Fire Ant Infestation (Colored Areas)
Updated to February 2007

http://www.ncagr.com/Plantind/images/Fireantmap.gif (broken link)

NC Department of Agriculture

Old 05-16-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveou View Post
Hi. I live in Walkertown near Kernersville, and last summer I found a trail of an ant I've never seen before. It looks like a hybrid between a fire ant and a black ant, with the rear black and the front dark, dark red or brown. When I came upon these ants they were trailing through my yard into my neighbors and back. I followed the trail for a couple of feet when all of the sudden these ants started jumping onto my shoes! I do mean literally jump, not running. They are extremely aggressive and followed me several feet if I started to move away ... and since I got so scared by them and their nest looked to be so huge (20+ holes within a 4-6 foot circle) I doused them with lighter fluid and set it on fire. (Probably a dumb thing to do, I didn't know what else!)
That did not work so I tried flooding them out ... a week later they had apparently disappeared but I am terrified of this ant! Can anyone please give me any information on this strange ant? I've lived here my entire life and have NEVER seen anything like it. Thank you for any help.

-L
Hard to say. North Carolina has around 200 ant species. There is an imported black fire ant (Solenopsis richteri), but I'm not sure where their range is.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:39 AM

4 posts, read 17,096 times
Thank you! That at least gives me a starting place to try and figure out what it is. A friend of mine said he thought he knew, and that they were impossible to stop. Don't want these things coming into my house!

Old 05-17-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Thank you! That at least gives me a starting place to try and figure out what it is. A friend of mine said he thought he knew, and that they were impossible to stop. Don't want these things coming into my house!
If you can get some in a jar, you could always run it by the local college for identification by their science department. You could also try your local ag. office:

Cooperative Extension Service
1450 Fairchild Road
Winston-Salem, NC 27105
(336) 703-2850
(336) 767-3557 FAX

Last edited by mm34b; 05-17-2007 at 08:02 AM..

Old 07-15-2009, 05:11 PM

873 posts, read 1,795,946 times
LOL....those ants aren't hybrids!! They are Red Imported Fire Ants!!

Quote:
It looks like a hybrid between a fire ant and a black ant, with the rear black and the front dark, dark red or brown.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,369 times
i have been chewed on buy fire ants they are painfull ,, they say do not itch cause they can be come infected ,,but the pain from the itch is very painfull ,, so i find that taking a bath in epsoms salts helps i wash real good i give the bites a good srub ,and soak in the epsoms salt and it seems to dry them out ,benedryl helps and some thing for the pain ,, its like getting poisen ivy ,, the itch and pain is tough to deal with ,,they say do not squeeze the bumps but i do and it is the only thing that helps me ;; but make sure u keep them clean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina