Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 05:07 PM

46 posts, read 149,971 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I live in Southern California but am looking to leave the area in a couple of years. In my twenties and looking for a town that is not so big that it's just like moving to another los angeles, but not so small i'd be moving to a mayberry.

I can handle hot and cold, but humidity kills me. Lookin for natural beaty, pines, oaks, lakes, rivers, hills, green, leaves that actually change color, ect.

I want somewhere I can settle down with my husband and start a family. Museums, libraries, ect would be nice. A hospital and colleges within an hour radius as well.

Also- how homeschool friendly is north carolina? what are the main job oppurtunities, cost of living, ect?

Oh yeah...and I'm also one of the five conservatives that live in southern california, so moving somewhere where i'm NOT a minority would be lovely! looking for a nice non-denominational church as well.

Any and all information would be a great help! thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 08:30 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
The Good News: Most of NC has most of what you are looking for: natural beauty, homeschool friendly, within an hour of a college, conservative, lots of churches to choose from.

The Bad News: Humidity.
More Bad News: Unemployment. But in a couple years, maybe the situation will be different.

Have you visited? Spring and fall are beautiful times to visit, but if you get serious about moving here, visit in summer, too.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:02 PM

46 posts, read 149,971 times
no, i have not visted yet, trying to get a feel for where i might want to visit first. thanks so much tho!

Old 10-17-2009, 11:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbethsayers View Post
Oh yeah...and I'm also one of the five conservatives that live in southern california, so moving somewhere where i'm NOT a minority would be lovely! looking for a nice non-denominational church as well.
Maybe you should try South Carolina. It's more conservative.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:32 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
There are plenty of conservatives in NC, even in the bigger cities (Raleigh, Charlotte). Even the liberal vibe here is nothing like most of CA. How big is too big? Some people will say Raleigh is a sprawling mess, but compared to LA, we would be considered Mayberry.

I think we would have a lot of what you seek, but humity can be very bad at times. Overall we have 4 seasons (unlike Florida and parts of the southwest), although winter is on the mild side with very little snow.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Greenville might fit the bill. It's a college town but the biggest 'city' in Eastern NC, and has a top-notch hospital/med school nearby. The surrounding towns are VERY "Mayberry-esque" but Greenville itself is not.

NC is a Blue state (as of the last election) and typically sends Democrats to the statehouse, but they are a more conservative brand of Democrat than you'd find in CA--Southern Democrats are not far from New England Republicans

But, as someone else says, South Carolina is MUCH more conservative AND small-town. Greenville SC, Columbia, and Charleston are the bigger areas, but they're all more conservative than NC cities. You might want to visit both states.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:54 PM

431 posts, read 1,141,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Greenville might fit the bill. It's a college town but the biggest 'city' in Eastern NC, and has a top-notch hospital/med school nearby. The surrounding towns are VERY "Mayberry-esque" but Greenville itself is not.

NC is a Blue state (as of the last election) and typically sends Democrats to the statehouse, but they are a more conservative brand of Democrat than you'd find in CA--Southern Democrats are not far from New England Republicans

But, as someone else says, South Carolina is MUCH more conservative AND small-town. Greenville SC, Columbia, and Charleston are the bigger areas, but they're all more conservative than NC cities. You might want to visit both states.
I thought Wilmington was larger?

Old 10-19-2009, 03:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
I thought Wilmington was larger?
You're right--I meant to say "along with Wilmington" and somehow it got left off.

Though you could call WILM "Southern NC" instead of "Eastern NC "

Old 10-19-2009, 04:58 PM

431 posts, read 1,141,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You're right--I meant to say "along with Wilmington" and somehow it got left off.

Though you could call WILM "Southern NC" instead of "Eastern NC "
True. I wish I knew more about the various cities in NC. I'm moving down next May and am trying to learn as much as I can.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:50 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,511 times
How about Boone in the high country. It is a college town and we hardly have any of the humidity the other places have down the mountain. You have both conservatives and liberals here. It has some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. It is also a tourist town so also different than other towns. Great paying jobs may be an issue depending what you do. Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina