Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2007, 07:58 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,774 times

Advertisements

I had this discussion with a person who brought it to my attention that the Unemployement rates listed cannot be accurate because they are based on numbers of people who file for state unemployement benefits, and that a large percent of the transplants do not qualify or dont file because they live off equity and dont collect benefits but are still unemployed and not factored into the percent. He stated it could be off as much as 5%.he did not show me facts. Is any one on top of this issue and know what the real deal is ? His case seems to make sense. Would like some facts on it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 08:33 AM

134 posts, read 549,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
I had this discussion with a person who brought it to my attention that the Unemployement rates listed cannot be accurate because they are based on numbers of people who file for state unemployement benefits, and that a large percent of the transplants do not qualify or dont file because they live off equity and dont collect benefits but are still unemployed and not factored into the percent. He stated it could be off as much as 5%.he did not show me facts. Is any one on top of this issue and know what the real deal is ? His case seems to make sense. Would like some facts on it.
Most of the transplants I know move here because of a job. They dont just move here willy nilly and HOPE for a job. (though I am sure there are some).

I do not know of a single person that is unemployed.

I would opine that the numbers are accurate.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:38 AM

769 posts, read 2,219,957 times
I'd think that that is possibility. I moved here without a job - and was receiving unemployment benefits from California. From reading these boards, it seems like there are a number of people who move here without a job - but I don't think it's an accurate enough sample to determine what, if any, the effect is on the unemployment rate.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:40 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,998,136 times
How the Government Measures Unemployment - http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm

Questions Answered

Why does the Government collect statistics on the unemployed?

Where do the statistics come from?

What are the basic concepts of employment and unemployment?

Who is counted as employed?

Who is counted as unemployed?

Who is not in the labor force?

What about cases of overlap?

How are seasonal fluctuations taken into account?

Is there only one official definition of unemployment?

U.S. Department of Labor
Bureau of Labor Statistics

Last edited by mm34b; 05-09-2007 at 09:12 AM..

Old 05-09-2007, 09:30 AM

Good response thxs

Old 05-09-2007, 09:36 AM

After reading the info I think what he was saying is true, They only take a sample survey and it is still based on State unemployement filing. Folks from out of state would show under their prior state numbers not NC. This could be quite misleading to people thinking unemployement is low, when you consider 45,000 people had to find a job last year in the raleigh area alone and how many did not is not accounted for. This would also reflect so many posts having trouble with a job.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:43 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,666,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
After reading the info I think what he was saying is true, They only take a sample survey and it is still based on State unemployement filing. Folks from out of state would show under their prior state numbers not NC. This could be quite misleading to people thinking unemployement is low, when you consider 45,000 people had to find a job last year in the raleigh area alone and how many did not is not accounted for. This would also reflect so many posts having trouble with a job.
If you are not working at some job while living in the Triangle...even if it's not quite what you want....you aren't trying.

Sure, it may not be a 100k a year....but there are jobs out there for all skill sets and skill levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina