U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:17 PM

23 posts, read 126,746 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me an idea of the difference between the Lake James (Nebo) are and the Lake Hickory (Hickory/Morganton) area? I am coming down to check the areas for retirement but don't know where to start. Are there areas I should stay away from? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 01:27 PM

648 posts, read 2,858,494 times
Both are man-made lakes along the Catawba river. Both are close to I-40.

Lake Hickory: almost totally developed around the coastline, close to Hickory which is a good size town. Area immediately around the lake is hilly. Mean lake depth: 33 feet.

Lake James: Not really developed at all except for the far east end. But development is coming quickly! Several miles from Morganton which is a small town. Nebo is tiny. Area immediately around the lake is quite hilly in the east to almost mountainous in the northwest. Mean lake depth: 46 feet.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:52 PM

227 posts, read 648,853 times
I'm afraid that I don't know anything about Lake Hickory except that Hickory has a mall. Lake James is being developed for low-density housing. It is the first and cleanest of the Catawba River chain of lakes and the closest to the Blue Ridge. Most developments there are sponsored by Crescent Resources although there are a ton of resale lots available now. I'm partial to the Marion/McDowell County side of the Lake but many prefer the Morganton/Burke County side. I'd rather be closer to Asheville. Some of the older subdivisions are built out but many of the newer ones are not as the lots are held for speculation, not construction. It is a truly beautiful lake and I think that it is being intelligently developed for the most part.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:39 AM

1,186 posts, read 3,501,373 times
Do some searching. There has been quite a bit of discussion about these areas in recent weeks. Lake Hickory is a wide spot on the Catawba River and often quite muddy. Lake James is one of the most pristine lakes you'll find.
For retirement I like the convienence of Hickory. It has every thing you'd need and isn't too far of a trip to the Charlotte Airport or some big city shopping. Marion/Nebo was just a bit too far for our likes.
I really like the foothills area from Marion to Wilkesboro for the weather!
Another area to take a look at is Lake Rhodhiss which is another wide spot on the river and close to Hickory.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:24 PM

Thank to all for your replies. I am anxious to get down there and look around.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:19 AM

954 posts, read 4,226,407 times
My Mom lives in Marion about 5 miles from Lake James, I also have old friends who live in Marion about 3 miles from Lake James.
If you like a really small town, then Lake James. If you want some semblance of a city, then Hickory.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:06 PM

I need to throw another lake into the mix. Anyone have any comments about Lake Rhodhiss? That is another lake we are planning to check when we come down. Would that be say more populated than Lake James but less than Hickory? Thanks to everyone for you help. I just LOVE this site!!!!

Old 05-18-2007, 04:01 AM

227 posts, read 648,853 times
Lake Rhodhiss is just a wide spot in the Catawba River. I don't think that it has anywhere near the beauty of Lake James. You would be closer to Hickory and Charlotte there if shopping and airport access is important to you. Houses with a lake view are hard to come by on Rhodhiss although there is a new development going in. Expect it to be crushingly expensive for a miniscule lot though given the developer's past practice.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:06 AM

20 posts, read 105,006 times
Lake Rhodhiss is definitely not the largest or nicest of the three lakes, but if you are not looking to be in a larger town like Hickory it could fit the bill.

Lake James has some very nice lake front homes, but you have to travel several miles on narrow crooked two lane roads to get to town. But, the lake is the nicest to be seen with beautiful mountains surrounding it.

Lake Hickory is close to town. Most info on this lake can be found on line. You could buy on the Alexander County side of Lake Hickory in Bethelem and be in a nice area with lower housing cost and lower taxes.

Lake Rhodhiss is right between the two. The problem being that there are almost no lake front homes on this lake. The Settings is coming in a few years, with very high priced houses for this area. Harbor Ridge has some lots and houses for sale right on the Catawba river (Lake Rhodhiss). I think they have boat docks there, and it is gated. The prices are reasonable for lake front, and the houses are nice.

A very nice public boat access is across the lake from the developement, which is located in Rutherford College, just beside Valdese.

Most jobs are in Hickory, and there are jobs in Morganton. Valdese/Rutherford College is in between with not a lot to offer as far as jobs go, except for service jobs.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
Both are man-made lakes along the Catawba river. Both are close to I-40.

Lake Hickory: almost totally developed around the coastline, close to Hickory which is a good size town. Area immediately around the lake is hilly. Mean lake depth: 33 feet.

Lake James: Not really developed at all except for the far east end. But development is coming quickly! Several miles from Morganton which is a small town. Nebo is tiny. Area immediately around the lake is quite hilly in the east to almost mountainous in the northwest. Mean lake depth: 46 feet.
Thank you for this response. It is quite helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina