Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 09:10 PM

4 posts, read 10,523 times

Advertisements

To all the nice people willing to give me opinions on this matter I thank you!!! I am currently finishing my anesthesia schooling up in good old Boston and I have two just about equal opportunity jobs awaiting in either Charlotte or Chapel Hill area and I am having a very hard time trying to decide between the two areas! I come from Boston where its a walking city and there is a great night life mixed with young buisness professionals (ave age is mid 20s to early 30s), single life is great, shopping, etc etc. I will be moving down to NC as a single male, not knowing anyone, leaving my family and friends up here in Boston. I am looking for a place where its easy to meet people, theres stuff to do, things are affordable (which coming from a city where a studio with 700 square feet costs 1800/month shouldnt be too hard), and an overall better lifestyle. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 09:32 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,190,667 times
Tough Call. Both places could work. When you say Charlotte do you mean the job is located in the urban "Uptown" area of Charlotte or out in the burbs of Charlotte? That might make a difference.

I think you will need to visit both areas and see which one you like better. Good Luck!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:47 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,123,443 times
Agree with the above. I've lived in both places, and while they are different, at some level I'd say there's not much difference. Charlotte is a large city. But if you live in Chapel Hill or nearby, you're within a brief 15-20 minute drive to both Durham and Raleigh, so the size difference is not so apparent. The Triangle area offers plenty to do in terms of nightlife and young adult activities, with major universities and lots of young professionals. Charlotte's uptown has been revitalized since I lived there in the 1990's, and there are plenty of fun things to do there as well.

I'd say the Triangle is a bit more liberal, and progressive in the sense of melting different cultures. Charlotte was traditionally a rather "blue-collar, NASCAR" city, especially before its rise as a major banking center in the late 80's through the 90's. But that's changing too, and you'll find lots of young professionals in Charlotte and growing cultural influences from the many outsiders who have moved into the area over the past couple of decades.

I really don't have anything bad to say about either area. Traffic issues are probably a little worse in Charlotte, but the Triangle has its share of traffic problems too depending on where you live and work. But the traffic in both areas would pale compared to Boston, so that's probably not a big issue for you. If I had to choose, I think I'd prefer the Triangle, but that's just my personal preference. I like Charlotte a lot too, and I don't think you'd regret choosing either one. As Raleigh Guy says, take some time to visit both if you can and see for yourself which you prefer.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:15 PM

7,051 posts, read 12,265,937 times
Similar job offers in both? Charlotte, hands down!!!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:26 PM

why??

Old 11-02-2009, 08:27 PM

i'd be in the uptown area. i have visited both, however, there is only so much one can get from visiting there for a few days. i love both areas which is why its such a hard choice.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:22 PM

7,051 posts, read 12,265,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdelgro View Post
i'd be in the uptown area. i have visited both, however, there is only so much one can get from visiting there for a few days. i love both areas which is why its such a hard choice.
Quote:
why??
If you have visited both Charlotte and Chapel Hill (even "for a few days") and still can't decide, I'd say go with Chapel Hill. I only say this because it seems like the obvious differences of Charlotte did not appeal to you. I could be wrong, but guys like myself only need a 3 minute drive across cities like Charlotte and Chapel Hill in order to make a decision on which one I want (given the fact that I have similar job offers in both).

For others, Chapel Hill (the smaller town) is INSTANTLY what they want (which is PERFECTLY fine!!!). Again, if you are on the fence about this one, go with the smaller town IMO. I kinda get the feeling that "bigger" is not "better" in your opinion. Not trying to put words in your mouth at all so please don't take offense. It is just that if you are not attracted to Charlotte's "big city" feel advantage over Chapel Hill (and the entire Triangle area of the state); Charlotte's "big city" disadvantages will begin to outweigh your love for the city (I have seen this happen before with others).

This is why I tell most folks "when in doubt (larger city vs smaller city) go with the smaller city". People like myself will ALWAYS choose (or prefer) the state's largest city (therefore it will NEVER be a "tough call" for me). However, not everyone is like me. Some folks like smaller towns. Different strokes ya know!!!

BTW, here is a recent pic of Charlotte's "uptown area" (you probably have seen it already; however some folks do visit the city without even stepping foot into this area).
Flickr Photo Download: Charlotte Skyline (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/3555091101/sizes/o/in/set-72157618736239700/ - broken link)

Old 11-03-2009, 04:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,721,541 times
Quote:
But if you've visited both and still don't know, there's not really anything WE can do to sway you--only you know what works for you better.

Chapel Hill fits the "walking town" part better, but if you are more used to a "city", then you'd want Charlotte for sure. At least you have two choices, either of which (it sounds like) will work out fine. But, ultimately, you, not we, will have to decide.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:24 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,662,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
If you have visited both Charlotte and Chapel Hill (even "for a few days") and still can't decide, I'd say go with Chapel Hill. I only say this because it seems like the obvious differences of Charlotte did not appeal to you. I could be wrong, but guys like myself only need a 3 minute drive across cities like Charlotte and Chapel Hill in order to make a decision on which one I want (given the fact that I have similar job offers in both).

For others, Chapel Hill (the smaller town) is INSTANTLY what they want (which is PERFECTLY fine!!!). Again, if you are on the fence about this one, go with the smaller town IMO. I kinda get the feeling that "bigger" is not "better" in your opinion. Not trying to put words in your mouth at all so please don't take offense. It is just that if you are not attracted to Charlotte's "big city" feel advantage over Chapel Hill (and the entire Triangle area of the state); Charlotte's "big city" disadvantages will begin to outweigh your love for the city (I have seen this happen before with others).

This is why I tell most folks "when in doubt (larger city vs smaller city) go with the smaller city". People like myself will ALWAYS choose (or prefer) the state's largest city (therefore it will NEVER be a "tough call" for me). However, not everyone is like me. Some folks like smaller towns. Different strokes ya know!!!

BTW, here is a recent pic of Charlotte's "uptown area" (you probably have seen it already; however some folks do visit the city without even stepping foot into this area).
Flickr Photo Download: Charlotte Skyline (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/3555091101/sizes/o/in/set-72157618736239700/ - broken link)
You are the smartest and most insightful person on city-data!!!

Yeah...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina