U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:14 PM

477 posts, read 1,533,980 times

Advertisements

I need some advice for those of you have have done the "visit" already(or anyone else that wants to give advice). We are shooting for late Oct. early Nov. to check things out in the Charlotte area. So do I find a realtor to take us around? Should I narrow down the number of areas to look at? I have never done this sort of thing before so Im not sure how to start planning. What area of town should we find a hotel?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2006, 01:19 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,812,394 times
I am going to tour with a realtor for a day or 2 and then I also plan to act like one would that lived there, go to the supermarket, local shopping, visit some schools etc..

Old 07-20-2006, 01:27 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,265,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieb75
I need some advice for those of you have have done the "visit" already(or anyone else that wants to give advice). We are shooting for late Oct. early Nov. to check things out in the Charlotte area. So do I find a realtor to take us around? Should I narrow down the number of areas to look at? I have never done this sort of thing before so Im not sure how to start planning. What area of town should we find a hotel?

Thanks in advance!
No realtor get a map and go it alone. Head to Lake Norman.

Go to inest and get your 1% coupon for cash back on your new home purchase. Better in your pocket then theres.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:29 PM

477 posts, read 1,533,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
I am going to tour with a realtor for a day or 2 and then I also plan to act like one would that lived there, go to the supermarket, local shopping, visit some schools etc..

When do you plan to go?

Old 07-20-2006, 01:33 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,812,394 times
i am trying for aug but it may be sept

Old 07-20-2006, 01:35 PM

24 posts, read 70,814 times
"So do I find a realtor to take us around? Should I narrow down the number of areas to look at?"
Depends on what you know about the area. Have you been there before? Do you know anyone who already lives there? If not, I'd recommend going with a realtor - they can tell you more about the area, more than just about the houses, especially if you are very new to the area. Whether or not you should narrow it down depends on how specific your preferences are at this point. Are there things you absolutely need - in neighborhood, house, etc? A maximum commute time? Researching an area and houses before a move has become much easier with the internet, but not everything will be what you expect when you are actually there. Also, having a realtor will save you the hassle of trying to find your way around the roads and having to call to make appointments to see houses. I'd poke around on some of the realtor sites and find some houses or areas that seem to meet your needs/likes and send a list to the realtor. They'll then be able to get a better idea of what you are looking for and can make suggestions to you. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm
"So do I find a realtor to take us around? Should I narrow down the number of areas to look at?"
Depends on what you know about the area. Have you been there before? Do you know anyone who already lives there? If not, I'd recommend going with a realtor - they can tell you more about the area, more than just about the houses, especially if you are very new to the area. Whether or not you should narrow it down depends on how specific your preferences are at this point. Are there things you absolutely need - in neighborhood, house, etc? A maximum commute time? Researching an area and houses before a move has become much easier with the internet, but not everything will be what you expect when you are actually there. Also, having a realtor will save you the hassle of trying to find your way around the roads and having to call to make appointments to see houses. I'd poke around on some of the realtor sites and find some houses or areas that seem to meet your needs/likes and send a list to the realtor. They'll then be able to get a better idea of what you are looking for and can make suggestions to you. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Hopefully you get a good Realtor that will listen to what you want and doesn't waste your time showing you what they want to show you.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:39 PM

24 posts, read 70,814 times
Oh yeah, and the seller usually pays realtor fees, not the buyer, so why not get a realtor to help you out? If you've never been through it before, the realtor can be a big help for the paperwork too.

And, I second the "going undercover" idea and acting like a local. We did, and we talked to several future neighbors. One thought we already lived there (because we actd like we did) and she invited us in for lemonade, but we declined.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:45 PM

117 posts, read 476,717 times
My family and I are also going up from Florida to look around Charlotte and Raleigh. I visited Raleigh already but had to cut the trip short (son was sick). This time Im going to focus more on Charlotte to see what the city has to offer. My wife is a PT realtor so she'll know when we are getting duped by a realtor up there. From what Ive read so far, it looks like the North and SW areas of Charlotte are good places to start.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:49 PM

I hate to be so negative but when we moved to AZ we had a realtor take us around and showed us nothing we aksed to see. We ended up finding our own area. Same thing happened in Vegas they took us to see nothing we asked for and we ended up finding our own house again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina