Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2007, 09:18 PM

51 posts, read 67,229 times

Advertisements

There will be 3 upcoming meetings in Tennessee & North Carolina 1st the Ocooe White Water Center TN 2nd Sylva North Carolina last Cleveland TN
If you oppose this new proposed interstate ripping through all of those beautiful mountains and National Forest I
suggest attending one of the three public meetings and voicing your opinions and feelings. Most people are opposed to
the I3 and Corridor K proposal in Western North Carolina and South Eastern Tennessee so lets get out and let the local
politicians hear our voice. Click on the links below to view the schedule of meetings and overall route of this proposed
interstate roadway.

http://americanhiking.chattablogs.co...es/047947.html
http://www.stopi3.org/
http://www.stopi3.org/maps/index.html (broken link)

Floridacracker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 07:40 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,734 times
Bump. Thanks for keeping this in the forefront, FC. This is one of the biggest projects to ever affect the WNC mountains. Who would be supporting it? The trucking industry?

Old 05-14-2007, 09:28 AM

The ones supporting this are the lawyers and politicians who have political agendas to attain by wasting tax dollars and they try to convince us that it's in our behalf.

I used to believe that government was to protect the people.....now all the do is protect themselves.

Floridacracker

Old 05-14-2007, 11:49 AM

653 posts, read 2,705,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
Bump. Thanks for keeping this in the forefront, FC. This is one of the biggest projects to ever affect the WNC mountains. Who would be supporting it? The trucking industry?
I heard this is basically intended as a very large bypass of Atlanta for the trucks leaving the Port of Savannah and heading into the Midwest.

I'm still in support of better access into Western North Carolina to the rest of North Carolina, not another north-south Interstate to channel everyone through.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:15 PM

648 posts, read 2,980,734 times
I'm imagining US-64 from Hendo-Murphy as a limited-access highway, like US-74 from Shelby-I26. Several bypasses would need to be constructed, and many miles would have to be widened. I suppose that's still a fraction of the environmental damage that I3 would cause, but I'd hate to see that, too...

AND it doesn't help the Port of Savannah folks

Old 05-14-2007, 12:53 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,661 times
U.S. 74 from I-26 to Shelby just needs wider shoulders and they could slap Interstate signs on there. Once they build the Shelby bypass (R-2707 - no earlier than 2012 for the first sections) traffic will really pick up on U.S. 74 and I-26.

U.S. 64 would be a lot of work, to say the least. I was picturing U.S. 74. Waynesville to Sylva is four lanes divided with limited access for 14 miles, 4 miles of full control from Sylva to Dillsboro, 7 miles limited access again before going back to 10 miles of full control around Bryson City. So, 21 miles of upgrading from limited access to full control of access isn't all that bad to have a complete freeway from Asheville to Bryson City. Then A-9 comes in...

I know they're bypassing the beautiful Nantahala Gorge, but that mountain coming down into Andrews is steep! Not to mention the cost...

A-9 Project Breakdown Map

Old 05-15-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Meeting in Sylva

Is anyone planning to attend the public meeting in Sylva NC this evening? If anybody does attend the meeting be sure to let us know what was said.

Floridacracker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina