Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 10:43 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,024,661 times

Advertisements

Target Corp. will bring about 580 jobs to Catawba County when it opens a regional distribution center in 2009, officials announced Friday.

The $90 million, 1.54 million square-foot center will benefit from about $7 million in local and state incentives if job targets are met.

Construction is to begin next summer with completion slated for June 2009. Target said it will begin hiring the first 450 workers in January 2009.

Target, the nation's second-largest general merchandise retailer, has 1,444 stores in 47 states. The chain has 42 retail stores in North Carolina, employing more than 7,500 full- and part-time workers.

"The new Newton distribution facility will help us better serve existing stores and prepare for future growth," Mitch Stover, Target senior vice president for distribution services, said in a statement.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-15-2008 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2006, 04:40 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,040,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
Target Corp. will bring about 580 jobs to Catawba County when it opens a regional distribution center in 2009, officials announced Friday.
Ummm ... yeah Anyone here speak Spanish? I mean - seriously. I work in retail, I help desk the processing at a local and several far flung distribution centers. The small staff of people who process the orders and send them out to the selectors are local, but the people careening around the WH floor on loaders and forklifts - immigrants.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:54 PM

212 posts, read 924,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
Ummm ... yeah Anyone here speak Spanish? I mean - seriously. I work in retail, I help desk the processing at a local and several far flung distribution centers. The small staff of people who process the orders and send them out to the selectors are local, but the people careening around the WH floor on loaders and forklifts - immigrants.
Not to get on the subject of immigrants either legal or unlegal but I don't get it. There are clerical jobs posted at the University here that you must know spanish and english to obtain..huh...you can't attend the University if you are from another country unless you pass the TOEFL test proving you can speak and read English so why would a person need to speak spanish to work at the University?? This is a university..not a grade school.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:04 PM

18 posts, read 65,855 times
Default Target Distribution Center

I read that Target was building a DC in Newton, Does any one no where? We Moved to the Uni-Four not long ago and work in Newton right now. I have 11 years DC experience and interested in finding out more.

Thanks for any input

Old 01-13-2008, 10:05 PM

20 posts, read 109,159 times
loveofthemountains, with his experience, and a several transferees from other Target DCs may get the good jobs there, but if Target goes the way of almost every company around here, a large portion of the jobs will be filled by temps.

Most companies will keep a core amount of people who are trained to do the necessary jobs in their departments and several others. When things are slow some may take short weeks. When business is up, then the temps come in. They are worked like dogs with the promise of permanent employment after a time, usually six months or so.

Around five months time suddenly the work will slow, and most of the temps are gone, then the cycle starts all over again.

Google the yellow pages and look up staffing services and see how many are found for an area this size.

The bigger the company, the more abuse the employees are subject to. There are so few decent paying jobs here that if a company pays above $10.00 per hour they think they can own the employees, and for the most part that is true.

There are a lot of jobs here; McDonalds, Best Buy, Home Depot, Cracker Barrell, and so forth, but for the average Joe, retail or service industry is your lot in life.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:00 AM

18 posts, read 65,855 times
Thanks for the reply. We will have to check it out when the time comes and decide what will be right for us. Again thank you!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:43 PM

4 posts, read 23,288 times
sorry to argue guys but i work for a wlamart dc and there are almost no immigrant workers there. we also get paid between $15.00 and $18.00/ hour. the jobs are not easy though and are probably the hardest, most physical jobs most people will do in there lives, that being said the turnover rate is fairly high and there is not a lot of long term emloyees of an older age. i bet you a buffalo nickel that atrget will be about the same.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 7,497 times
Default Target D/C hiring ??

I may be wrong , but I think I read somewhere a few weeks ago that Target had paid for several of the D/C employees to get memeberships to Catawba Country Club ??? Does that ring a bell with anyone else ??? I think it was in the Catawba Valley Neighbors section of the Sunday paper ???
If thats the case when did they hire these people ....

Old 04-12-2008, 08:16 AM

9 posts, read 33,808 times
Target only uses seasonals during the three months of Oct, Nov and Dec. The amount of people is unusally under 50. When the new DC starts up, if it is anything like my Target DC where I work, they will hire like 400 new team members for full time work. They don't have part time work. When the work gets slower they do things like this voluntary sign up thing where, if you want a day off but you don't want to burn vacation, you sign up and then if the freight is light, they approve the time off for everyone who signed up. Like the guy said above, the work is hard. You are moving boxes every day all day long. But the leaders they hire and the type of people they hire make the day go by fast cause they make it as fun as moving boxes can be. I really like my job and I hope that when Newton opens, I can come down to start up the building as a trainer.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:04 PM

4 posts, read 23,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-here-I-come View Post
Target only uses seasonals during the three months of Oct, Nov and Dec. The amount of people is unusally under 50. When the new DC starts up, if it is anything like my Target DC where I work, they will hire like 400 new team members for full time work. They don't have part time work. When the work gets slower they do things like this voluntary sign up thing where, if you want a day off but you don't want to burn vacation, you sign up and then if the freight is light, they approve the time off for everyone who signed up. Like the guy said above, the work is hard. You are moving boxes every day all day long. But the leaders they hire and the type of people they hire make the day go by fast cause they make it as fun as moving boxes can be. I really like my job and I hope that when Newton opens, I can come down to start up the building as a trainer.

anyone heard a startup date yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina