Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 11:11 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
Here in NC, people blow by stop lights and stop signs as if they don't exist.
It's very aggravating, I know.
People here just don't know how to drive or simply don't care.
And that's just the cops!

Just yesterday I'm waiting at a red light with my L signal on (cause I want to turn left).

Across from me is a police car who has 3 choices to make:
Go straight in which he has the right of way
Go right in which he has the right of way
Go left where we split the difference.

So there I sit, signal clicking, waiting for him to decide what he wants to do...
2 of the three possibilities gives him the right of way...
Come on guy... signal your intention...

I'm surely not pulling out across his path...
so I do an exaggerated "by your leave, sire" arm wave
This seems to have confused him even more.

If even the cops don't know whats expected and appropriate and the law...
the rest of the citizens have no chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:58 AM

240 posts, read 559,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Just yesterday I'm waiting at a red light with my L signal on (cause I want to turn left).

So there I sit, signal clicking, waiting for him to decide what he wants to do...

I know, right? The (corrupt NC) police here are the ones breaking the law most of the time. Just about ALL the drivers here do this and have the nerve to blame it on people who moved from outside the state and country. It is reasons as such why I try to stay away from motor vehicle driver's seats here (unless I go out of state). There are many stressing factors in life and I do not need road rage to add fuel to the fire.

You have illustrated some very good points as to why almost the entire population of NC deserves to have their licenses revoked for life. Part of the reason is driver's ed. Also, most of this state's population deserves to be locked up for life for all the attitudes listed above and more.

Oh, and; usually, when I have to deal with problematic drivers in other states, 9/10 times they have NC plates on their cars. Go figure!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:07 PM

53 posts, read 80,433 times
So we have determined that there are dysfunctional drivers in NC and that police are not always appropriate role models. There is also a difference of opinion as to if these problem drivers are native or invaders from other states. That being said, it does not matter where they came from. It only matters that law enforcement modify their misbehavior.

If we minimize the importance of of using turn signals, we encourage unsafe driving styles . As the population increases, there will a greater number of vehicles on the road, which will multiply the potential and actual risk. Readers who consider this an overreaction will not, if their family members become victimized.

Who is responsible for safe roads. We are. We must become a community with an agenda of social change.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Jenks View Post
So we have determined that there are dysfunctional drivers in NC and that police are not always appropriate role models. There is also a difference of opinion as to if these problem drivers are native or invaders from other states. That being said, it does not matter where they came from. It only matters that law enforcement modify their misbehavior.

If we minimize the importance of of using turn signals, we encourage unsafe driving styles . As the population increases, there will a greater number of vehicles on the road, which will multiply the potential and actual risk. Readers who consider this an overreaction will not, if their family members become victimized.

Who is responsible for safe roads. We are. We must become a community with an agenda of social change.

That too.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:56 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
I wonder if any of you have bothered to maybe check the facts rather than jumping to conclusions about an entire state? If you would, you'd know that NC generally ranks in about the middle of the states for number of traffic accidents, number of fatalities, understanding of traffic laws, or about any other traffic-related measure. Not the best, but certainly nowhere near the worst.

Sorry for interrupting your bash-fest, but I just wanted you to know that your grip on reality appears to be a bit tenuous.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:58 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

You're at a red light wanting to turn left and was waiting for the cop across the intersection to make his move. Looks as if his next move would have been to write your dumbass a ticket for turning left at a red light.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:09 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
You're at a red light wanting to turn left and was waiting for the cop across the intersection to make his move. Looks as if his next move would have been to write your dumbass a ticket for turning left at a red light.
do you suppose you can manage to add the missing line to my aanecdote?
come on... give it a try.

Last edited by MrRational; 06-19-2012 at 04:28 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 11:37 AM

Default Angry Readers

There are probably at least twenty websites where readers can voice their anger at the road warriors, who think they own the road and are not even minimally controlled by law enforcement. There is often a lack of mutual respect as readers present contrasting views. This website should not be about minimizing others but about cerebral people making a collective effort to promote safer roads.

Defensive readers, who enjoy the status quo, will defend their perceived right to ignore turn signal laws. Ethnocentrism makes for colorful dialoque, but it does not target the real problem. The problem in fact requires community members with bigger brains than mine , who will do more than identify a problem which is apparent to everyone except self centered drivers who lack a social conscience. The Turn signal law is the unenforced law in North Carolina. What are you going to do about it?

Roy Jenks

Old 07-01-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Jenks View Post
There are probably at least twenty websites where readers can voice their anger at the road warriors, who think they own the road and are not even minimally controlled by law enforcement. There is often a lack of mutual respect as readers present contrasting views. This website should not be about minimizing others but about cerebral people making a collective effort to promote safer roads.

Defensive readers, who enjoy the status quo, will defend their perceived right to ignore turn signal laws. Ethnocentrism makes for colorful dialoque, but it does not target the real problem. The problem in fact requires community members with bigger brains than mine , who will do more than identify a problem which is apparent to everyone except self centered drivers who lack a social conscience. The Turn signal law is the unenforced law in North Carolina. What are you going to do about it?

Roy Jenks
I agree completely. At times, the police force as as bad with that whole business of being territorial (i.e. acting like they own the road, etc.) The only thing I can think of that can be done is that the police force would become more inflammatory over a lack of signal usage. A police officer *can* cite you for failure to signal the right of way. But this whole business of turning on your blinker for one second and throwing yourself into a lane is very unacceptable.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:38 PM

Default Response

Thank You for your response. I think the police force should be more concerned and effective in modifying behavior of turn signal violators. Persons ticketed for not using turn signals should be assigned to a driver education program rather than being fined for their first offense. If a second ticket is assigned then a fine would be appropriate. Likewise law enforcement officers should be given classes as to their responsibility to be professional role models and to facilitate attitude changes in the public. The police, the public administrators, the attorneys, the engineers, the health department, City-Data.com and the public have a shared responsibility to change the current scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina