Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 01:00 PM

53 posts, read 80,433 times

Advertisements

Dysfunctional driving behaviors have been identified and almost every respondent at this web site has voiced frustration. Geography has been identified as a major factor. No one has associated behaviors with gender. Too much tesosterone on the road may be another factor. I am surprized that women have not made that association be it accurate or not. What is important is not that we are frustrated. What matters is that dysfunctional behaviors are being tolerated that present a clear and present danger. The police and the public should be on the same page. Evidence based protocols should be developed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 12:31 AM

240 posts, read 559,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Jenks View Post
Dysfunctional driving behaviors have been identified and almost every respondent at this web site has voiced frustration. Geography has been identified as a major factor. No one has associated behaviors with gender. Too much tesosterone on the road may be another factor. I am surprized that women have not made that association be it accurate or not. What is important is not that we are frustrated. What matters is that dysfunctional behaviors are being tolerated that present a clear and present danger. The police and the public should be on the same page. Evidence based protocols should be developed.
I agree with you 100%. Women consider themselves ''safer drivers.'' I have to disagree with that. I have found Women to be almost as bad as other guys on the matter. Other people simply just don't know any better. Before I even left NC on my own for the very first time, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the drivers. After driving through most of the US, I immediately realized what people were saying. NC is the most non-driving state I have ever been to. If you ask me, they need to revoke the licenses from just about everyone in sight. At least California drivers seem a little better at merging and letting others pass. Here in NC, forget it! Too many people also have this deluded belief that the road is theirs. A recent study showed that many people in general would not pass their driving tests. What's sad is that this is a growing problem. I can't believe that dysfunctional people would be allowed to drive vehicles. It makes no sense in my opinion.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:45 AM

Drivers often reflect that they are full of themselves. They have a sense of entitlement that makes them think they do not have to use turn signals if they do not want to. They break other laws as well but those laws are enforced. If you know that there is even the possibility of getting a ticket that possibility promotes safety. Drivers are aware that there is no possibility that they will get a ticket for not using a turn signal.. As we negotiate traffic, we are sometimes too engaged with the process to remember to use a turn signal. That will happen to everyone at some time. This is very different than the antisocial behavior of drivers, who believe that they are above the law and of a public that is indifferent. we are encountering a social problem. We are endangered by a public health problem. Will things get better?. Probably not.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:27 PM

On 26 May, 2007, the News & Record printed a response from L.C. Lappe of Greensboro, N.C. in which he stated;

"Sadness marks the passing of the Turn Signal, Patented Feb. 16, 1909." "The Turn Signal gained national attention as standard equipment on the 1939 Buick." There was a meteroic rise for the turn signal as federal/state laws mandated it for standard equipment , along with routine inspection and consistent use." "The intent was to provide an early alert to other drivers of an intended action, allowing appropriate responses to avoid accidents."

"But alas, time moves on." "Changes in technology and attitude marked the turn signal atrophy." GPS, the laptop, and the cell phone made it's use nearly impossible, especially while turning or changing lanes." "The turn signal is now counterproductive for speeding up to cut in or turn in front of oncoming traffic."

He concludes that "Some of the 43,000 U.S highway deaths and millions of accidents may be a result of the demise, but a small price to pay for completing that multitask or being too two cars ahead at the next red light." "Speaking of red lights, rest in peace Turn Signal." "May you be in a better place, where laws are obeyed and enforced, where logic is practiced and common courtesy is the norm."

Old 06-23-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Jenks View Post
Drivers often reflect that they are full of themselves. They have a sense of entitlement that makes them think they do not have to use turn signals if they do not want to. They break other laws as well but those laws are enforced. If you know that there is even the possibility of getting a ticket that possibility promotes safety. Drivers are aware that there is no possibility that they will get a ticket for not using a turn signal.. As we negotiate traffic, we are sometimes too engaged with the process to remember to use a turn signal. That will happen to everyone at some time. This is very different than the antisocial behavior of drivers, who believe that they are above the law and of a public that is indifferent. we are encountering a social problem. We are endangered by a public health problem. Will things get better?. Probably not.

Not only that, but other drivers also take out their anger and/or frustration on the road.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:04 PM

Default Road Rage

I agree, Road Rage is a very real problem for drivers.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 PM

Default Results

There are many reasons why drivers justify to themselves not using turn signals. The bottom line is that this antisocial behavior always presents an unsafe road condition. Police should not regard these deviant behaviors as insignificant. Drivers, who test boundaries to see what they can get away with may use the the turn signal law as their first act of deviance. There is an epidemic of not using turn signals because drivers know the laws are seldom if ever enforced. The policy of non-enforcement is amoral.

Roy A. Jenks

Old 01-09-2012, 02:56 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
Funny about the speeding because we had a friend tell us all the slow drivers in NC were going to drive us crazy.
Drivers from the rural regions of NC drive alot slower PLUS hog up the left lane verses those from the city/suburbs.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Drivers from the rural regions of NC drive alot slower PLUS hog up the left lane verses those from the city/suburbs.
That is what these airheads do in the entire state. It has really come to my attention that people here in NC just can't drive. I have driven in other states and countries... I have also spent a considerable amount of time out of here and NEVER have I seen such an array of behavior from drivers. They are also very sneaky. Furthermore, they run stop signs and lights, try to run over other pedestrians, simply pay no attention, fiddle with their phones, write obnoxious messages on their vehicles and/or affix offensive bumper stickers, fail to use blinkers, pull out in front you slowly, etc. In other words, they act as if they own the road. People here will also use their vehicles to drive a distance of 100 feet just b/c they are too lazy to walk the walk.

Part of the reason has to do with driver's ed (and people's selfishness). If you ask me, they need to revoke the licenses from just about everybody in sight. I am SICK TO DEATH of dealing with all these selfish, dysfunctional, beings that have to go around endangering the lives of others all because they are EXTREMELY self-absorbed or just don't pay attention. Driver's ed courses here are a bloody joke. Three weeks, poor explanation, a bunch of movies, no textbook coverage, ace driving the vehicle, and INSTANT driver's license. In other words, they pretty much give away licenses here. You also have TONS of old geezers/bags behind the wheel here (and problematic transplants) that add to the madness. Indiana is pretty much the same way and for the same reason.

Turn signal usage here is virtually non-existent. Another thing about that which gets on my nerves is the fact these NC people have to turn on their blinker for one second and then throw themselves into a lane obstructing the flow of traffic. The times I have gone out of state and have had issues of this nature (and California doesn't count), the car ALWAYS has NC plates on it. I just cringe at the sight of a car w/ NC plates on it 99.9% of the time.

It has been years since I have reached my boiling point with the airheads that can't even drive and can't merge into incoming traffic properly. They also have to get in front of you and then slow down. Reasons as such are why I try to drive as little as possible. Nothing would thrill me more than to see most of the people in NC lose their cars.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:07 AM

32 posts, read 92,720 times
What you have to take into consideration, particularly in the urban areas, is that the majority of the people that live and drive here today did not originally live and drive here. Driving styles, paces, and protocols differ all over the country, and world, for that matter. What we have here is a melting pot of all of those driving cultures. Unfortunately, it is a stew that does not mix well....

I always liked the joke from George Carlin: "Ever notice that everyone that drives faster than you is an idiot, and everyone that drives slower than you is a moron?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina