Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2006, 03:28 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have first-hand knowledge of homes built by Preservation Homes? They are modern interpretations of the old Arts & Crafts style bungalow and on their website they are exactly what I would be interested in. I just wonder if anyone has any first-hand information about how they are built?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2006, 04:58 PM

212 posts, read 922,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover
Does anyone here have first-hand knowledge of homes built by Preservation Homes? They are modern interpretations of the old Arts & Crafts style bungalow and on their website they are exactly what I would be interested in. I just wonder if anyone has any first-hand information about how they are built?
There is another company called Castle Construction that is building in Clayton. Their houses look like the Arts and Crafts type also. Never saw them in person but found them on the web.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:58 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I've shown alot of the preservation homes but haven't actually sold one. Not that I know alot about building but builders must follow "CODE". I've never seen a single house around here fall down! And during the building process, the home is inspected by the city of Raleigh inspectors. Inspectors here can get picky and I do know alot of builders have to re do items to make the inspectors happy, which is a good thing for those of us that know nuttin bout building! Vicki

Old 07-23-2006, 10:27 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
I've shown alot of the preservation homes but haven't actually sold one. Not that I know alot about building but builders must follow "CODE". I've never seen a single house around here fall down! And during the building process, the home is inspected by the city of Raleigh inspectors. Inspectors here can get picky and I do know alot of builders have to re do items to make the inspectors happy, which is a good thing for those of us that know nuttin bout building! Vicki
That is a good thing! Our city also has inspectors on new houses and it's a good thing IMHO

Old 07-24-2006, 07:59 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I think its funny that builders offer a "10 year warranty" and act like its really something special. The first year of a new home...pretty much everything is covered by the builder, including appliances. The 2nd year...only the appliances are still covered. Years 3 thru 10...only the structure of the home is covered. That sounds like a big thing but I just don't know anyone that has ever had their house become structurally unsound! But...its better than nothing? Vicki

Old 09-30-2006, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,292 times
I am in the process of buying one right now. I have been looking at how they are building the other houses in the neighborhood and am impressed so far with the materials they are using--particularly the lumber and plumbing. Several people I have spoken with who already own them have compained that the drywall work is inferior and that the joint compound and tape have started to peel after a few years. Also, I have seen some shoddy tray celing work in one home, but don't know whether or not the buyer had them fix it before closing.

Aside from the building aspect, they are kind of slow (which I suppose is better than being fast and sloppy) and not very helpful or flexible when it comes to picking everything out. Anytime you ask a question, no matter how critical, you are always greeted with a vague or evasive answer.

Just my thoughts. Hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:59 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I would also suggest going to some of the parade homes (if you are local) and look at the preservation homes. Usually when you are in a neighborhood with a parade house, the other houses that are in the building process are also open. It can give you a perspective on the houses during the whole process. Plus, today when we were out going through the parade, a number of people working for preservation were at the houses (the building superintendents, etc).

Worth checking out
Leigh

Old 01-09-2009, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,657 times
Default Preservation Homes is in Financial trouble....

I realize I'm posting a reply to a question dated from 2006 but if it can help someone from what we are going through so be it.......

(first, I'm amazed at the responses b/c only 1 response actually had first-hand knowledge; which is what the original question was)

If this is your first experience building a home - you never know enough of what you don't know. It will be a true learning experience. We did build with Preservation Homes. We currently have multiple liens against our property and multiple civil lawsuits (upwards of $10,000). I feel bad for the company b/c they seem to be a reputable business but unfortunately the bad economy has caught up with them and their subcontractors want to collect. We hope that title insurance will cover the liens but the civil lawsuits could be won by the subcontractors and we'll be responsible to pay b/c we are "benefiting from their services". And we're not alone, many of our neighbors are in the same situation. The worst part is.....we didn't know enough to have done anything differently or to have prevented any of this. I'll spare the details of things-gone-wrong while building b/c again, I don't feel it was specific to them but things that can occur any time you're building a home.

Also, read this before you decide to build with them: [URL]http://www.newraleigh.com/articles/archive/preservation-homes-built-to-burn/[/URL]
I wish I had found this prior to building with them. I think it speaks volumes.

Last edited by kmcombs; 01-09-2009 at 02:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina