Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:55 AM

117 posts, read 444,960 times

Advertisements

I have been to the Outer Banks a sleu of times and have traveled through the state on I-95 and have visited Asheville rather briefly and from all of that I can't say as though I've gotten a true feel for the state as in actuality my experience there is quite limited truely.
That is what brings me to the question, what places should I visit in NC to get a good feel for it as a whole. In short, I have always liked my visits to NC all be them somewhat limited and enjoy aspects of the South and am considering relocating with NC as one of my choices. This may be nonsensical but I have visited the ****.com website and most of the spots recommened to me were in NC. The top spot was Hickory and so that would be once of the places on my list. NC interests me as I am a teacher and teachers seem to be needed and the warmer, more temperate year round climate and ofcourse the cost of living, particularly when it comes to real estate. Granted I don't have my wife sold on the South yet even though we visited TN last year and she was not totally impressed and either was I for that matter, not that it was bad but I think I was expecting more but then again it was somewhat of a whirlwind trip in general.
So basically, what spots (say 3 maybe as a figure to throw out there) should I visit to get a good feel for NC and more importantly, what should we do or see while there. We have a 7 y/o daughter so things that are kid friendly are right up our alley not that we don't have interests also (fishing when it comes to me...other things for my wife, maybe more so like malls, cool restaurants, etc, nice spots, calm and safe, but with things to do.) I could just drive aimlessly through the state or pick a few big cities out and hit them while driving through little towns but my wife and daughter are tired of riding in the car all day. I don't know what places are no brainer visits and what things to do are no brainers that I should definitely not be missing. I need to pull it all together well so as I can sell it to my wife. I know she likes aspects of it but hasn't traveled a whole lot and she is stuck on vacationing in Maine but I know that she could like the South. Basically, we are thinking about relocating from PA to NH or NC and trying to decide between the two.
I'm sorry for my rambling. I love talking relocating.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 11:33 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,998,136 times
You should be able to get a pretty good overall feel for the state by visiting all of the regions. Each region has its own uniqueness. If I had to limit my visit to just three metropolitan areas, I would do Wilmington, Charlotte and Asheville. Those areas would cover each region. Once you decide on a specific region, you may want to expand your search to that region for later visits.

Regions - http://www.geology.enr.state.nc.us/p...phy_600dpi.pdf

Last edited by mm34b; 05-06-2007 at 11:44 AM..

Old 05-06-2007, 06:56 PM

What main attractions or family oriented things should I be expecting or be looking to hit?
Thanks.
Chris

Old 05-06-2007, 07:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
wow there is so many in the state as a whole and it a good 10 to 12 hours from one end of the state to the other lol
Do you know which region you will be exploring?

Mountains
Waterfalls
Tweetsie Railroad for the little one
Sliding Rock a little scary in my opinion but fun and cold
Underground Caverns
Grandfather Mountain
Blue Ridge Parkway
Biltmore Estates (but tickets are pricey)

Piedmont

Wet & Wild Water park Greensboro
Old Salem (Moravian Village ) Winston Salem
Reynolda House A beautiful Reynolds home with alot of classic art (Winston Salem)
Raliegh the goverment buildings and governors mansion.
Duke Campus
Charlotte
Disovery Place a great interactive science exploration
ImaginOn Interactive childrens museum and library.
Ray's Splash Planet water park
White Water park

Concord
Lowes Motor Speedway
Concord Mills a entertainment mall with lots of outlet shopping, interactive games and a Bass Pro Shop for you to escape from the wife lol

Old 05-07-2007, 05:26 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,745 times
Hey Sunny, how about the zoo in Ashboro. If I were in your shoes I'd take a look at Moore County. A bit hot in the summer for my liking but I read a lot of good things about the schools and it is centrally located. You could head to the beach one weekend and go camping in the mountains the next. Personally, I like the Hickory location the best but don't know about the school system.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:28 PM

Thanks,
Hap. Am I safe from hurricanes in this Moore county of which you speak?

Old 05-09-2007, 06:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,782 times
Default NH vs. NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinginasuit View Post
I have been to the Outer Banks a sleu of times and have traveled through the state on I-95 and have visited Asheville rather briefly and from all of that I can't say as though I've gotten a true feel for the state as in actuality my experience there is quite limited truely.
That is what brings me to the question, what places should I visit in NC to get a good feel for it as a whole. In short, I have always liked my visits to NC all be them somewhat limited and enjoy aspects of the South and am considering relocating with NC as one of my choices. This may be nonsensical but I have visited the ****.com website and most of the spots recommened to me were in NC. The top spot was Hickory and so that would be once of the places on my list. NC interests me as I am a teacher and teachers seem to be needed and the warmer, more temperate year round climate and ofcourse the cost of living, particularly when it comes to real estate. Granted I don't have my wife sold on the South yet even though we visited TN last year and she was not totally impressed and either was I for that matter, not that it was bad but I think I was expecting more but then again it was somewhat of a whirlwind trip in general.
So basically, what spots (say 3 maybe as a figure to throw out there) should I visit to get a good feel for NC and more importantly, what should we do or see while there. We have a 7 y/o daughter so things that are kid friendly are right up our alley not that we don't have interests also (fishing when it comes to me...other things for my wife, maybe more so like malls, cool restaurants, etc, nice spots, calm and safe, but with things to do.) I could just drive aimlessly through the state or pick a few big cities out and hit them while driving through little towns but my wife and daughter are tired of riding in the car all day. I don't know what places are no brainer visits and what things to do are no brainers that I should definitely not be missing. I need to pull it all together well so as I can sell it to my wife. I know she likes aspects of it but hasn't traveled a whole lot and she is stuck on vacationing in Maine but I know that she could like the South. Basically, we are thinking about relocating from PA to NH or NC and trying to decide between the two.
I'm sorry for my rambling. I love talking relocating.
Thanks!
I grew up on the Mass. New Hampshire border. Spent 43 years there. Great place to raise a family, hour to the ocean, hour and a half to the mountains, Boston is 45 minutes. Lots to do. BUT the weather is tough to take. After 35 years there I decided to look elsewhere. I lived in Florida for 8 months and did not like it. NC on the other hand has 4 seasons, lots to do and a short winter. In New England the cold dark days start in late Nov. and linger into late April. It never bothered me when I was young, but it got old later on. NC has some great areas where alot of Northerners have relocated to. Good Luck.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:08 PM

4 posts, read 30,501 times
Visit the area west of Asheville. Haywood County is great because it is close enough to Asheville, but still not too expensive yet (but not for long!) I grew up in Northern NH it is hard to beat the weather in NC.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 18,772 times
If a small town appeals to you maybe you should consider Morganton. It's located in the foothills of western North Carolina about 60 miles east of Asheville and 15 miles west of Hickory. It has a beautiful downtown area, the locals are friendly and good schools. Morganton is located in Burke County, you can check out the Burke County Chamber of Commerce for more information.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:18 PM

4 posts, read 10,957 times
Default Wilmington!

Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach! Move here from Boston several years ago and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina