Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 12:29 PM

7 posts, read 5,155 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone-

What cities in NC would be good for someone that would prefer living in a large city? I am originally from Los Angeles and have lived in the Atlanta area since. I'm currently living about 20-25min south of Atlanta but because of certain circumstances I am having to move basically within the city. This is not a problem for me because I actually could not move any further than I currently am from Atlanta or I'd start feeling like I lived in the "country".

This move includes changing jobs so this would be a good time to look at moving out of state since I considered this one time before. The only southern state I would consider moving to would be NC.

I have a friend in Raleigh who I am visiting this weekend to show me around. After looking, it seems like Charlotte is a much larger city. Any cities active enough that I may like? There is nothing wrong with Atlanta as there is plenty to do, but I wouldn't mind a change.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 01:20 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times
No city here can compare to the size of Atlanta. Charlotte is the largest and then Raleigh. If you like a big city though, I think you will be disapointed. Hope you enjoy your visit here, just don't expect a large city and enjoy what we do have up here.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:49 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Agreed--NO cities in NC are "big cities" by any means, even comparable to Atlanta. Washington, DC is the closest. Within NC, Charlotte is the most "city-like" in terms of Atlanta or LA, but it is still a far cry from a "real" city. Raleigh's population is growing quickly, but by far, most of it is suburban.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:58 PM

646 posts, read 1,156,942 times
I'm from L.A., too. I've only been here for a few weeks (and work from home) so my information is limited.

However, you specified that you wanted a city that was "active enough" ... so I think you'd best take a look around. Charlotte is nice, it's pretty, and it's easy to get around (although I haven't seen the rush hour traffic) but I'm not sure that it has the population density that would make it active enough ... although it would help to know what you meant by that.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundi712 View Post
Hello everyone-

What cities in NC would be good for someone that would prefer living in a large city? I am originally from Los Angeles and have lived in the Atlanta area since. I'm currently living about 20-25min south of Atlanta but because of certain circumstances I am having to move basically within the city. This is not a problem for me because I actually could not move any further than I currently am from Atlanta or I'd start feeling like I lived in the "country".

This move includes changing jobs so this would be a good time to look at moving out of state since I considered this one time before. The only southern state I would consider moving to would be NC.

I have a friend in Raleigh who I am visiting this weekend to show me around. After looking, it seems like Charlotte is a much larger city. Any cities active enough that I may like? There is nothing wrong with Atlanta as there is plenty to do, but I wouldn't mind a change.

Thanks!
In NC, with your background, Charlotte will be your only option.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:03 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times
NC doesn't have any "BIG" cities, but if you want to live in a sizable city, Raleigh and Charlotte aren't bad by any means. Compared to ATL and LA, they're small towns, but they still have many amenities of much larger cities. Visit and give both a shot.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:41 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
In NC, with your background, Charlotte will be your only option.
Ditto.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-20-2009 at 01:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina