Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 07:45 PM

173 posts, read 939,383 times

Advertisements

Where did you submit your information?
I taught for 8 years in MD. I was let go from MD because I didnt pass the Praxis 2 (no child left behind). I have a degree in Biology and 8 years teaching experience------Will they certify me?
P.S. I was on a provisional status in MD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 10:04 AM

60 posts, read 198,035 times
I am an Elementary Ed. teacher With 5 yrs experience. I have taken all the required tests in Florida for certification, but have been home for 5 yrs with kids. Will I have to take this Praxis test? Do teachers in NC have to get any extra endorsements? (Esol,etc)
Any help-appreciated!!!

Old 06-25-2007, 10:20 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Teach4NC

The web site explains how individuals from all professional backgrounds can obtain their North Carolina teaching license and secure a teaching position in our state. A particular emphasis is placed on recruiting and licensing new teachers from non-traditional sources, such as displaced professionals, career changers, retirees, and individuals wishing to re-enter the workforce.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:14 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
Each state has its own requirements. North Carolina requires you to pass the PRAXIS tests. No matter if you have taught 30 years in another state, you HAVE to pass the PRAXIS. Districts will hire you, and generally give you a certain amount of time to meet this requirement. I live in Michigan, and we have our own test-the MTTC (Michigan Test for Teacher Certification). I plan on moving to NC to teach, but I will have to pass the PRAXIS tests to do so. Which is more money down the drain, as these tests are expensive! I have already spent $375 in Michigan to pass the Basic test, Elementary Ed test, Early Childhood Ed test, 6-8 Math test and 6-8 Social Studies test.
If you have passed the PRAXIS tests, pretty much any state that requires that will be able to transfer your license. You have to meet each state's testing requirements every time you relocate.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:29 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Default Just do it!!!! Take the test!!!! We need good teachers!!!!!!

A few years ago, if you were a RN, you had to take the state boards in each state you planned to practice nursing. Reciprocity was granted according to the state of original licensure (and had nothing to do with years of experience). That has changed somewhat in the past few years with the advent of NCLEX and the multi-state compact.
You are correct, Jaynaire, it's licensure requirements: "......If you have passed the PRAXIS tests, pretty much any state that requires that will be able to transfer your license. You have to meet each state's testing requirements every time you relocate."

Old 06-26-2007, 08:37 PM

68 posts, read 294,888 times
Default you may not have to take the praxis

As i mentioned in my previous post, i am originally from FL. certified to teach 5-9 science in fl. taught for 4years. When i submitted to NC, i received my NC LIC for science and do NOT have to take the science praxis.

Now, i added math to my florida lic and NC would not just add the math. I do have to take the math praxis to add math to my NC lic.

I know its confusing.

As to ESOL, i was told by my county Cabarrus that i will be trained but do not need any cerification.

hope this helps
Evelyn

[quote=jaynarie;951143]Each state has its own requirements. North Carolina requires you to pass the PRAXIS tests. No matter if you have taught 30 years in another state, you HAVE to pass the PRAXIS. Districts will hire you, and generally give you a certain amount of time to meet this requirement.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:30 AM

10 posts, read 27,958 times
I am relocating from Nevada. I originally relocated from Michigan as well. Michigan requires many test to be a teacher. However my tests did not transfer to Nevada so I had to take the Praxis 1 and 2. I took the Praxis 2 because I knew I was moving out of Nevada to NC where the only test required is the Praxis 2 for your certification area. Don't take the test lightly however, it is a fair test that is a challenge for some to pass. A teacher at my school still has not passed it after half a dozen tries. Unfortunately for her, her position has now been filled and is out of a job.But you all are right you just have to take it. It would be nice if each state had the same test so it would be easier for teacher to relocate without having to take test after test and without having to get NBC.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:12 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
I haven't even quite looked into all of this. My understanding is that you have a couple of years to take it once you get a job.

I have a teaching job for next year but still have out of state credentials. I have 3 different credentials and was told I will have to take the Praxis for one but not the other 2. Makes no sense to me. I have two MAs as well.

Dawn

Old 06-28-2007, 06:58 PM

68 posts, read 294,888 times
Default they are not giving me a couple of years

i was told due to the NCLB i had to pass the math before AUG. i took the test, extremely challenging and hope that i passed. i will know next week.

if you need to take the subject area praxis, i HIGHLY recommend studying. don't buy the ETS practice book though. i bought a math praxis book with three praxis exams and i found a website that offered on line practice tests.

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I haven't even quite looked into all of this. My understanding is that you have a couple of years to take it once you get a job.

I have a teaching job for next year but still have out of state credentials. I have 3 different credentials and was told I will have to take the Praxis for one but not the other 2. Makes no sense to me. I have two MAs as well.

Dawn

Old 06-28-2007, 08:11 PM

285 posts, read 1,091,129 times
Glad to see the standards that NC schools have......now if only they would screen sexual predators with the same rigor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: