U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 07:45 PM

77 posts, read 225,147 times

Advertisements

My husband's job is getting transferred. We don't know where yet. On the paper he fills out he can put down a preference and they will try to put him in that area. For those of you who have lived in both states or visited both states a lot, which do you prefer, Missouri or NC?
I have no idea where in North Carolina we would be. Either Charlotte, Winston Salem, or Durham. I just don't want to end up in a place where the trees are sparse. Also, one big factor...I think his pay would be the same if we picked Misourri but five dollars an hour less in North Carolina. Hopefully that's not the case!
Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 07:51 PM

3,127 posts, read 8,766,677 times
I think it depends a lot on one major factor, what city in each state.

I spent a lot of time living in the mtns of NC in the summers and for three years in private school. Have family in that area as well.

Lived in MO for a year and came REALLY close to moving back there this time if my husband hadn't decided on this job instead of the other one he was interviewing for. (I hate ending sentences with prepositions but there was no good way to end that sentence.)

Knowing a bit more about your options might help you find the info you need. Liz

Old 05-16-2007, 08:26 PM

73 posts, read 72,977 times
Your screen name is Jayhawks, do you really want to live in Misery, I mean Missouri?

Old 05-16-2007, 08:32 PM

77 posts, read 225,147 times
That's what my husband use to refer to it. We have family on his side there.
My screen name isn't a reference to Kansas city Razorbacks if that's what you mean. Besides, isn't NC just as humid as Missouri? Thanks for your replies.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:33 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,522,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
I think it depends a lot on one major factor, what city in each state.

I spent a lot of time living in the mtns of NC in the summers and for three years in private school. Have family in that area as well.

Lived in MO for a year and came REALLY close to moving back there this time if my husband hadn't decided on this job instead of the other one he was interviewing for. (I hate ending sentences with prepositions but there was no good way to end that sentence.)

Knowing a bit more about your options might help you find the info you need. Liz
"instead of the other one for which he had interviewed"
I really appreciate your concern. My mother was a real stickler for this.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:29 AM

3,127 posts, read 8,766,677 times
Quote:
"instead of the other one for which he had interviewed"
Thanks for that, however he never actually went to that interview. It was scheduled and he got back from the interview for his current company and decided it would not be fair to go.

That's why I could not use the past tense. It was in the works but never completed. Liz

Old 05-18-2007, 12:51 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,672,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks View Post
For those of you who have lived in both states or visited both states a lot, which do you prefer, Missouri or NC?
Yeegawds, what an easy answer for me Definitely NC.

I'm a 5th generation Midwesterner, raised in Mizery and Illinoiz. From 20 years of living here in NC, I think the state is losing much of its slower, more laid back, friendly atmosphere (see the thread on speeding and the responses - sad). However, I still like it here. It's not as humid as Missouri, believe me. Very few tornadoes, though some fearful posters might try to make you think otherwise. The winters here are nothing compared to the cold blasts that flow over the flat land of the Midwest. The diversity of the landscape is wonderful as well as access to other states where recreation and history abounds.

I'm getting ready to motorcycle ride ~1000 miles in a few weeks to visit my family in the St. Louis and KC area. For all that they are dear to me, I dread the visit. Once into Indiana, the land flattens out and trees are only distant windbreaks in farm fields. I've been watching the weather channel and asking my sister to keep me abreast of the flooding - a common occurrence along the Missouri, Mississippi, and Little Blue. The route I've mapped takes me through towns that were under water last week. Making the trip in May (when tornadoes are most likely to hit in outbreaks) I keep a wary eye on storm systems. In 2003, I had to pull off and seek shelter at a stranger's house because I saw rotation and a finger-like cloud begin to dip down. The people there are fine; showing the friendliness I see disappearing here; but if I have to hear my family talk about their latest FANTASTIC trip to Branson, Missouri, I will scream . Lake of the Ozarks and Branson are major recreational activities there. Here ... well, we've yet to tap all the things to do.

Finances seem to be a factor in your post; you might want to do detailed research if your husband's salary is going to be so affected; but if you want to live in a state that won't reduce you to boredom in 5 years, I'd pick NC.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:32 PM

954 posts, read 4,237,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
.but if you want to live in a state that won't reduce you to boredom in 5 years, I'd pick NC.
As they say in NC, "I don't have a dog in this fight"....
But I couldn't ignore the last part of your post. In fact I lived at both ends of NC, for 12 years and found it very boring. Maybe I should have lived in the Piedmont, but that was a function of work. Then again, I grew up in the Detroit Suburbs and was always more of a city guy. I just couldn't adjust to the rural and simi-rural South.
My mom still lives in a small town in the Western foothills. My wife says about three days there and I start to get annoying, because I am so bored.
Of course, thats not the only time I annoy her. LOL

Old 05-18-2007, 07:44 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,672,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
In fact I lived at both ends of NC, for 12 years and found it very boring....I just couldn't adjust to the rural and simi-rural South.
Therein lies the difference This state isn't for everyone; I wish people would see into that and not just flock here because it's cheaper.

It all depends on what you like to do. If you are a city person, I can see where large sections of this state are not appealing. I don't care much for the sandhills part of the state because it reminds me of the Midwest in its flatness and dreariness. We get over to the coast every few years, mostly in late fall and winter, when the crowds are gone and you can actually get a real sense of the life there, not the tourist crap. Same with the mountains. I haven't been to the Smokies in a summer month since 2003. We definitely don't go in the fall.

I advise the newcomers to pick up the Blue Ridge Country magazine and Our State. Once they've seen all the big stuff, reading that will key you into the smaller, interesting things to do, if that's their thing.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:10 PM

954 posts, read 4,237,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Therein lies the difference This state isn't for everyone; I wish people would see into that and not just flock here because it's cheaper.

It all depends on what you like to do. If you are a city person, I can see where large sections of this state are not appealing. .
Very true. I run into people here quite often who say they "hear" that NC is the place to move. Then they begin to tout how much house you can get, yada yada yada.
I just try and help them understand that just because you have a huge house in the middle of a place you realize you don't like or constantly compare to somewher else...that is not a "better life". On the other hand, I also try and give them a realistic picture of many of the good things they will find there, IF they are ready for a fundamental change in lifestyle.
A good friend and coleague of min here in NYC, recently bought a condo in Charlotte. I gave him my honest reasons for leaving NC, but didn't try to poison his view of everythig NC. I truely hope he is happy.
I just think that people need to go in with their eyes open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>