Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:05 PM

149 posts, read 473,776 times

Advertisements

sounds like the 'good ole boy' network going on....wow...nope, won't get me in church..does that mean I will have my house vandalized, and no one will hire us??

Old 05-16-2007, 11:21 PM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times
I am sick of reading these posts where the native Carolinians are attacking people coming to their towns. We are bringing business and bringing them out of poverty. And this is the thanks we get. Do you not think the northern cities are not full of transplants? The only difference is they are mainly from other countries that transplant into our cities. This is America and NC is a state in America, which all or any of us have the same rights as anyone else to live where we want to live. Watch out the north is taking over the south again...that is what it sounds like. Honestly how many of your southerner have been up north and stayed for an extended period of time. My friend whenever she comes up here to visit, she cracks me up because she will go back home and try to talk like a New Yorker and say that we rub off on her. Come on now keep your southern roots strong! Everyone has a great time when they come up north, the only reason the southerners are not moving up here because it is too expensive to move here!

Old 05-16-2007, 11:26 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I think it depends on where you live in NC. The big cities are full of people from all walks of life so folks may be a lot less cliquish. Any ideas just where in NC you may be thinking?
I agree with this. It'll depend on where you live. The bigger the city, the more diversity and acceptance. Though that doesn't mean people will be unfriendly in small towns.

I'm a church girl, native North Carolinian, living in NC's third largest city. I personally will be friends with anyone who's friendly. They don't even really have to have the same interests as me. One of my dearest friends is a crazy (said with love lol) Californian of Mexican descent who puts crazy colors in her hair, has a facial piercing, listens to weird music and has pet hissing cockroaches. We couldn't be more different, but I love her dearly. She's one of the sweetest people I know. We have a great time talking and laughing together. If you looked at us, you'd never think we were friends. There's her and then there's me - the conservative, Southern, shy, Christian girl.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. My point is, the stereotypes about Southerners and North Carolinians not accepting people just because they're different or "not from around here" really needs to be ignored and die.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:51 PM

149 posts, read 473,776 times
this is so interesting!! I am having talks with people from nebraska, and am hearing how eastern NE residents supposedly bash western NE...east says the west is unfriendly, and will serve you bad tasting, old food in cafes, on purpose!!...wow...to me, this is very sad....all we are looking for is a nice place to retire, not a trip back to junior high......

Old 05-17-2007, 07:15 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
I am sick of reading these posts where the native Carolinians are attacking people coming to their towns. We are bringing business and bringing them out of poverty. And this is the thanks we get. Do you not think the northern cities are not full of transplants? The only difference is they are mainly from other countries that transplant into our cities. This is America and NC is a state in America, which all or any of us have the same rights as anyone else to live where we want to live. Watch out the north is taking over the south again...that is what it sounds like. Honestly how many of your southerner have been up north and stayed for an extended period of time. My friend whenever she comes up here to visit, she cracks me up because she will go back home and try to talk like a New Yorker and say that we rub off on her. Come on now keep your southern roots strong! Everyone has a great time when they come up north, the only reason the southerners are not moving up here because it is too expensive to move here!
You will get no thanks from me after reading your post. I found it to be very self righteous and snobbish. You put it in words where you are looking to cause more conflict then extinguish one.
Do you think all of NC is in poverty?? That is a very immature statement on your part and then you EXPECT a thank you. Now who is attacking.

And to answer your question, I spend time up north and to be honest I dread every moment of it around people. I find them loud and abnoxious. BUT!!! I do not bash them and just accept it because I know I will be returning to a place I call home, NC.
Everyone has their version of home and different environments appeal to different people.
And with that I say have a nice day,

Old 05-17-2007, 07:27 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
GREAT discussion Tony and MovingBack! This is exactly the way it is. In smaller towns, newcomers aren't often seen, and are thus met with uneasiness. It's just the way it is. If you go to church, you have something in common, and thus it's easier to fit in/bond. Like if you join a softball team, mommies group, or the Rotary! Church is still very important in many parts of North Carolina. Those in stable, small towns aren't attacking newcomers, they're just very wary of them.

That said, newcomers will feel more comfortable in a place that's "watered down:" places where folks have already moved in and thus the locals are more used to and accepting of them. These tend to be the larger cities/suburbs, and populated coastal areas.

People in Kings Mountain, Lincolnton, etc. have seen what's happened to ex-little towns like Mooresville and Concord, and they're very fearful that their town could become like those are.

Last edited by cooperwx; 05-17-2007 at 07:50 AM..

Old 05-17-2007, 07:49 AM

73 posts, read 82,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by future texan View Post
sounds like the 'good ole boy' network going on....wow...nope, won't get me in church..does that mean I will have my house vandalized, and no one will hire us??
Of course not. Don't be ridiculous. You will however, have a harder time finding a job than you otherwise would and your social mobility will be limited because you've chosen to exclude yourself from certain aspects of civic life.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:14 AM
MB2 MB2 started this thread

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyClifton View Post
Of course not. Don't be ridiculous. You will however, have a harder time finding a job than you otherwise would and your social mobility will be limited because you've chosen to exclude yourself from certain aspects of civic life.
Wow....that's absolutely unexceptable in our day in age!
You are trying to tell me, that my husband, born and bred AMERICAN, ENGLISH speaking, has 23 years experience in his field....but will have a hard time finding a job, because he's from "up north"?????
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????
Please remind me again, which country I am living in???????

Old 05-17-2007, 08:17 AM

73 posts, read 82,306 times
Quote:
I am sick of reading these posts where the native Carolinians are attacking people coming to their towns.
Would you rather go through life never knowing how people really feel about you? And if you think that this resentment is isolated to a few old fogies then consider this, Cabarrus County recently held a series of "be nice to the outsiders" seminars in preparation for the opening of the North Carolina Research Campus.

Quote:
We are bringing business and bringing them out of poverty. And this is the thanks we get.
This is a great example of the stereotypical attitude that "this place sucked before we arrived" and is wholly untrue.

Quote:
This is America and NC is a state in America, which all or any of us have the same rights as anyone else to live where we want to live.
Assuming that you are in this country legally, no one is disputing your right to live anywhere you please however, you have no right to a warm reception.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:19 AM
MB2 MB2 started this thread

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
I give all people a chance alike. I treat them well, as long as I am treated well. As for the "making friends" part....I don't have to go to church to do that, and my husband IS my best friend. So, I guess it's us "against the world"????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina