Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 02:43 PM

16 posts, read 60,166 times

Advertisements

Just my lonely little two cents here:

Moving into Apex, a bit south of Raleigh, was the best thing that's happened to me in a long time. I was a little concerned that people would be unwelcoming or cliquish after reading some of these boards. However, I've found the opposite. My husband and I have been welcomed with open arms by home-growners and transplants alike. We make sure we do our best to be friendly, respectful neighbors and put our best foot forward, the way we would anywhere - and we have truly been met with an outpouring of love, support and friendliness.

I loved some things about the West coast, where we moved from. But, at least from my experience (granted, it's in the Raleigh area and not one of the smaller communities), I wouldn't trade living here for anything.

You get what you look for, anywhere you go. Sometimes the welcomes are easier to find than others, but there are always people who want to be kind, courteous and friendly back to you. So come join the party!

Old 05-17-2007, 04:21 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyClifton View Post
I was recently talking with an acquaintance from college. He is a well educated guy (UNC undergrad, Duke Law), he works for a large law firm, and at 30 years old he recently moved into a neighborhood where the homes start at $500k. In other words he isn't some backwoods hick. I asked my friend how he liked his new neighborhood and he told me that all of his neighbors were nice except for one couple whom he described as "typical, loud mouthed, self absorbed Yankees."
This post made me laugh because I have several friends and coworkers both native and transplant North Carolinians alike that would describe anybody fitting your acquaintance's profile (UNC undergrad, Duke Law) as a "typical, loud mouthed, self absorbed Dookie / Tarheel."

Stereotypes know no bounds!

Old 05-17-2007, 04:54 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Stereotypes tend to be based on truth as well.

And as this post goes along the whole south against the north/north against the south thing is still alive and kicking. It's just easier to admit anonymously on a message board but the truth is here.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:25 PM

149 posts, read 473,776 times
question....if there is so much south and north rivalry, what would a californian be considered??? how would we be treated??? what is the view of us cali folk??? also, what stereotypes do native NC residents have of us??

Old 05-17-2007, 05:31 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by future texan View Post
question....if there is so much south and north rivalry, what would a californian be considered??? how would we be treated??? what is the view of us cali folk??? also, what stereotypes do native NC residents have of us??
It's not just the natives that have stereotypes of CA people. Both my new neighbors are from CA. One is great. Love having them next door. The other...well...I swear they sold a trashy-trailer for 500k and have never lived in a decent neighorhood before. They also can't shut up about how much better CA is and are pretty well nuts in general. I take both CA folks for how they act....not just where they are from.

Just don't repeatedly say how much better CA is and act like you are better then anyone else from another state...and you'll be okay.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:42 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by future texan View Post
Well we all consider Californians a bunch of Hollywood/Los Angeles interlopers.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:50 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I don't know where in NC you are thinking about moving to, but I would not lose any sleep over this concern. I have found that in the Triangle and Charlotte Metro Areas this is a complete non-issue.

Good Luck!
This probably succinctly answers the OPs question. Just stay near or around the major cities and you'll be fine.

For whatever reason good or bad, people tend to want to align along some arbitrary point of differentiation- region, race, school affiliation, red sox/yankees, native/immigrant- whatever.

I'll say this though, I'm in no way "worried" about whether someone who's from NY or NC thinks, I know beyond the shadow of a doubt, if there's a *national* issue that affects the country- we're all Americans (i.e., 911).

Old 05-17-2007, 06:21 PM
MB2 MB2 started this thread

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
This probably succinctly answers the OPs question. Just stay near or around the major cities and you'll be fine.

For whatever reason good or bad, people tend to want to align along some arbitrary point of differentiation- region, race, school affiliation, red sox/yankees, native/immigrant- whatever.

I'll say this though, I'm in no way "worried" about whether someone who's from NY or NC thinks, I know beyond the shadow of a doubt, if there's a *national* issue that affects the country- we're all Americans (i.e., 911).
Thank you....thank you very much
Even though, I am not american....I love this country and the people here more so, then sometimes "real" americans one another

Old 05-17-2007, 06:24 PM
MB2 MB2 started this thread

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Thank you....thank you very much
Even though, I am not american....I love this country and the people here more so, then sometimes "real" americans one another
No offense intended, folks

Old 05-17-2007, 11:44 PM

149 posts, read 473,776 times
well I think you guys would get alone with us...we make no waves, and are basically live and let live...just don't give us any crap or mess with us, that is all we ask...and we are about as unhollywood as they come...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina