Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:02 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,085 times

Advertisements

I'll be sure to affix a bumper sticker to my car while its still has California plates that reads "I hate California too! That's why we fled." It will be such a relief to be able to converse with people in English, for one.

You guys are the experts about the locale we wish to embrace eventually, so you'll hear questions from us, not complaints. I do have some worry about people who might push beyond the bounds of politeness about religion or our seeming lack thereof. I have always respected whatever decent folks do or believe for their own lives, but have encountered Southerners who don't return the favor.
Any suggestions? Husband and I are hardly flagrant wackos, we just eschew organized religion for ourselves, and judgment of others.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:10 PM
MB2 MB2 started this thread

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
I'll be sure to affix a bumper sticker to my car while its still has California plates that reads "I hate California too! That's why we fled." It will be such a relief to be able to converse with people in English, for one.

You guys are the experts about the locale we wish to embrace eventually, so you'll hear questions from us, not complaints. I do have some worry about people who might push beyond the bounds of politeness about religion or our seeming lack thereof. I have always respected whatever decent folks do or believe for their own lives, but have encountered Southerners who don't return the favor.
Any suggestions? Husband and I are hardly flagrant wackos, we just eschew organized religion for ourselves, and judgment of others.
I can't argue with that notion...

Old 05-18-2007, 06:36 PM

13 posts, read 54,243 times
In Asheville, I think most of the people are from other places. It's kind of rare to actually find someone from here. So, of course, you would fit right in!

Tree

Old 05-18-2007, 07:07 PM

64 posts, read 225,202 times
"Can't we all just get along...?" LOL

I still can't wait to get to NC....I plead the fifth.......

Old 05-19-2007, 05:36 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,289 times
We're a bunch of good folks with big hearts and we'll gladly "adopt" anyone that is like that too!

Old 05-19-2007, 06:28 AM

52 posts, read 193,929 times
I think that there are just a few bad apples that spoil the bunch. I visited North Carolina for jobs and the area to see how it was and I loved it. I'm not moving there to change the state to where I am from! No one wants that, least of all me! I'm looking forward to the friendly people and the openess that I don't have where I am at.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colormegreen View Post
I think that there are just a few bad apples that spoil the bunch. I visited North Carolina for jobs and the area to see how it was and I loved it. I'm not moving there to change the state to where I am from! No one wants that, least of all me! I'm looking forward to the friendly people and the openess that I don't have where I am at.
I never, ever had the impression, that NC people were unfriendly in any way, unless they pretended pretty good (which I really don't think!)
I came to the conclusion, that a bunch of bad apples need to be "in between" to keep the balance...lol.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:20 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Default Been there - Done that

Many years ago, my wife and I moved to Fort Mill, South Carolina from Florida (try to picture the area in 1977; a lot different than now). I had a job in Charlotte but she couldn't get what she wanted, a job which would make use of her degree in journalism. She wound up practically begging for a job in a textile mile as a spinner. She was born in Ohio and had moved to Florida, so you can imagine how she fit in at first with people who had been at the mill all their working life and their parents, friends and relatives all worked at the mill. It was hard for her at first, but she went to work every day, learned and did her job, was pleasant to everyone. She never gave the impression that she was too good to be working there. It didn't take long for her to be accepted. We left five years later when I got a great job offer back in Florida. Her last week at the mill people were hugging her and crying about her leaving, gave her gifts (one lady made her a set of satin type bed sheets). For several years after we left, we got cards and letters from the people she had worked with.

When we retire in a few years, we are heading back to the Carolinas (North Carolina mountains this time). I'll always be convinced that how you treat people around you will be reflected back in the way they will treat you.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Many years ago, my wife and I moved to Fort Mill, South Carolina from Florida (try to picture the area in 1977; a lot different than now). I had a job in Charlotte but she couldn't get what she wanted, a job which would make use of her degree in journalism. She wound up practically begging for a job in a textile mile as a spinner. She was born in Ohio and had moved to Florida, so you can imagine how she fit in at first with people who had been at the mill all their working life and their parents, friends and relatives all worked at the mill. It was hard for her at first, but she went to work every day, learned and did her job, was pleasant to everyone. She never gave the impression that she was too good to be working there. It didn't take long for her to be accepted. We left five years later when I got a great job offer back in Florida. Her last week at the mill people were hugging her and crying about her leaving, gave her gifts (one lady made her a set of satin type bed sheets). For several years after we left, we got cards and letters from the people she had worked with.

When we retire in a few years, we are heading back to the Carolinas (North Carolina mountains this time). I'll always be convinced that how you treat people around you will be reflected back in the way they will treat you.
Wonderful story, and get's the point across very well! Bravo!

Old 05-21-2007, 02:13 AM

149 posts, read 473,895 times
JRR said it well!...thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina