Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 07:00 AM

26 posts, read 119,851 times

Advertisements

If I am going to make the move to NC - I want a Ranch style home - 1 story to lead me into my older years. Does anyone know of a builder who offers 1 story homes? Or a neighborhood with fairly new re-owned ranch homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 10:13 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
Try Hickory in Catawba county. Hickory is a small city with an abundance of ranch type or one story homes. Prices range from about $100-$300k and you can find mountain views or lakefront properties. There are some 55+ communties which are one floor town home type, very nice, they start at about $200k. Hickory is a good town for retirement with plenty of medical facilities. They have a good bus service and cabs if you need public transit. Weather is mild four season and the winters are great. There is Valley Hills Mall with most major national stores and plenty of shopping for anything. Walmart and Kmart, of course. Lowes and Home Depot. They are all here. Give Hickory a look I think you will like it!
Don

Old 07-23-2006, 12:35 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,422 times
Many of NC's cities have a lot of 1-story homes....ones already built may be more affordable than finding a builder to make one, maybe.
Don't look for just ranches, though. 1-story bungalows are VERY common in most of NC, and they look ten times better than a ranch.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:37 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
One story homes or "ranches" are harder to find in new houses...they cost more to build. More roof, more footings, etc. But...they are around...just takes someone who knows how to find them!!! Vicki

Old 07-23-2006, 01:09 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,595 times
Ranch homes are everywhere. Seriously. Just drive around in a not-so-new (think 1980s or earlier) neighborhood in any city in the Triangle. They are all over the place.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:41 PM

336 posts, read 513,134 times
Multiple builders I have visited around Charlotte have some new construction ranch options, but they don't advertise them nearly as much as their other homes, and often don't have a model available to view. D.R. Horton, Centex, KB Homes, C.P. Morgan, Shea Homes and more all have ranch plans available.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:59 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classyjerseylady
If I am going to make the move to NC - I want a Ranch style home - 1 story to lead me into my older years. Does anyone know of a builder who offers 1 story homes? Or a neighborhood with fairly new re-owned ranch homes?

You might also check out Standard Pacific Homes (I know they are building ranch homes in Tega Cay, SC called Calloway Village starting at $180,000). Then there is Fankhauser Property (a NC company) that specializes in ranch style condos.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:23 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,378,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classyjerseylady

I'm building with Niblock Homes & they offer a few single story ranch & cottage style homes. I also know that Scenic Homes offers ranches as well.

BxRosie

Old 07-24-2006, 04:23 PM

68 posts, read 296,046 times
Red face Hickory

I'd like to echo donsabi's remarks concerning the Hickory area.
My wife and I recently bought a house there. We will be moving there on 8/21.
It's a wonderful area. We researched extensively and it fit all of our requirements.
We are in our early 50's and were looking for a nice place to wind down and head into our retirement years. We believe it's the perfect place for that.

As for a one story home, we also initially wanted a 1 story home. But since it's cheaper to build the same square footage in a 2 story, we opted for a 2 story with everything we need on a daily basis on the first floor.
The 2nd floor has 3 additional bedrooms and a full bath.
The 1st floor has a large living area, an open floorplan kitchen, a seperate dining area, a laundry room, a half bath, and a master suite incuding a large bedroom, walk in closet, and full bath.

We never have to leave the 1st floor
And when company comes, they have a nice place to stay upstairs.

I can give you the name of the builder if you like.
We paid $280,000 including .75 acres of land.

Len

Old 07-25-2006, 08:02 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,163 times
I too am an advocate of single story homes. Mindful of the fact that it costs more to build one, I still can't see the purpose of building/buying a house that is only partially used. It seems to me that a house that has all that unused space indicates that it is unneeded space. I live in a single story house and have for every house we have ever owned. Even now with no kids at home I use both my other bedrooms regularly either for guests or when I can't sleep I go to the guest room to read until I fall asleep. My other room is a home office and I can't imagine being unable to get to it easily. Having a second floor that is unused seems ridiculous, especially if it was deliberately purchased that way. I would much rather have a single story with less square footage that gets totally used than a two story that is only half used. That's just me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina