Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 08:25 AM

21 posts, read 92,858 times

Advertisements

Hi, My husband and I want to move out of Ohio. We are thinking of North Carolina or Florida. Hubby does Heating/Air Conditioning and northern Ohio has lost close to all jobs. Plus, we hate the freezing temps that last for 6-7 months. We have a 15 yr old daughter and need a safe place to live with employment opportunity for the HVAC industry. I am Certified in Medical Office Administration. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 12:25 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
I think there is much more of a need for cooling in Florida?

Old 12-07-2009, 12:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
What's wrong with South Carolina or Georgia?

Old 12-10-2009, 01:07 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,922,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
What's wrong with South Carolina or Georgia?
Holy cow, where does one begin???

Old 12-10-2009, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,773 times
My husband and I are also from northern Ohio with a 15 and 11 year old girls. I'm a LPN and he is professional tattoo artist. We also have same dilemma!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:05 PM

444 posts, read 1,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junemmt View Post
Hi, My husband and I want to move out of Ohio. We are thinking of North Carolina or Florida. Hubby does Heating/Air Conditioning and northern Ohio has lost close to all jobs. Plus, we hate the freezing temps that last for 6-7 months. We have a 15 yr old daughter and need a safe place to live with employment opportunity for the HVAC industry. I am Certified in Medical Office Administration. Please help!
Ok here is the deal. NC has one of the highest numbers of jobless people in the country right now. Heating/Air Conditioning would probably be needed more in Florida, and since you hate freezing months I think Florida would be great for your family. That and the culture shock won't be so bad.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:39 AM

59 posts, read 236,689 times
Well, Moore County has both in a short distance from each other. I pass a HVAC company on my way to taking my child to school and just on the other side of town is a hospital. There is a Health clinic just south in Raeford too so that commute is short. From where the HVAC is it is 15 minutes to either. Plus there are numerous private clinics. I don't know how easy it is to secure a job.
You could also possibly get a GS job on base at the hospital.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,433 times
I am also from Ohio, Cleveland area and I am looking to relocate sometime in 2011-2012 after I graduate. I have 3 children. There are no jobs here, and I am looking for a place that has lots of jobs available in the IT feild, that is what I am majoring in.
Also, I have section 8, so I would like to know of some areas that are affordable but not ghetto.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:09 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,779 times
I live in Orlando ( I lurk on the NC boards because I really want to move there!) anywho.....LPNs cant find any work in Florida right now. The hospitals (I work at a hospital) wont hire LPN's, instead they hire EMT's and Paramedics ect, for less pay. NONE of the hospitals hire LPN's. As far as HVAC goes, I know the rate of pay for HCAV is less down here because I have a friend who did HVAC in Michigan, moved down here, pays more for rent and makes less money.Did I mention that the cost of living in Florida is WAY higher than Ohio? For a three bedroom house, in a *decent*(and by decent I mean just barely liveable, not pleasant) area of Metro Tampa, Miami, Orlando.....ect is at least 875.00 not including water,electric,lawncare ect. The electric bills down here are huge in the summer time, like 400.00 a month, not exagerating, I just paid a 400.00 light bill for a two bedroom apartment. You could probably find work in a Nursing home easily, but the patient to nurse ratio is WAY high in Florida nursing homes. You could get better work in one of the prisons or county jails, but the hiring process is long and extensive. Traffic is horrible, even in the suburbs. I live in Kissimmee, and alot of people are going back to New York, because they cant pay their 800.00 a month rent on 275.00 a week in unemployment. There are virtually no social services down here, your almost always one paycheck away from being homeless. I know so many people (myself included) who are living with several relatives because the rent is so high.
Florida has its great points too! The Ocean and gulf (duh) the warm December days, the fresh water springs and Manatees, The Ocala National Forest, The theme parks, diverse populations, Florida Key Lime Pie (mmmm....good) fishing, boating, jet skiing, St Augustine, Many different historical sites. Tarpon Springs and the sponge docks.
But many of us working class people feel like we are being forced out, simply because the rate of pay and the cost of living dont even began to match.

It looks like North Carolina has the same issues with jobs (as does much of the nation) but they have Mountains AND beaches!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:33 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,898,014 times
Default pik NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by junemmt View Post

look, i live in florida, have for 25 long years, in my opinion it sucks.
originally from north carolina, will be moving back but not soon enough. i hadnt always hated it down here, but the heat n humidity gets to ya.
i understand that like most yankees u hate the cold.
well we hate the heat. as u will once here for awhile.
right now its 84 and muggy as h*ll out, and think 10 days till xmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina